Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #481
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Matt, we just got back, and we never ventured any further than the river in New Braunfels. My sis and her husband were in SA Sunday, and he had to be rushed to the hospital with a possible heart attack. Stress test for him today, they are from the valley. Good to hear that you are enjoying your time back in Texas. Have waited for every installment of you and your wife's adventure. That is what "living" is all about, just not going through the motions, but enjoying the beauty around you. Carry on.....
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #482
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43 View Post
I actually had a fresh pair with me but I stupidly was trying to salvage the old pair. Either way, I am planning to get a few more extra parts while I'm here (pads, air filter, oil filter(s), belt, o-rings, and a new fuel pump controller since I sold the extra I had) so we should be good to go. I also need to buy a few quality tools to replace some of the crap stuff I have down in South America. I had a set of cheap torx bits that just kept braking off...

And don't give me any ideas on that MadAss. I don't think the missus could take it...
I had meant that you'd replace your spare pair -- it's smart to have them. It wasn't a bad idea to salvage the pads - you were doing the most with the resources at hand.

Oh, and I am the crown prince of bad ideas. Just call me Señor Provocateur.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #483
pfdavidz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Yes yes yes i cant wait!
pfdavidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #484
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
That's crazy that you just posted that - someone at the hostel we're staying at just told us the same thing this morning at breakfast. I kind of didn't believe it. I wonder if it will last??

Just caught up with your report. I was out for most part of April doing some Fly N Ride.. bought a KLR650 from guy in Wisconsin last Feb without checking it out.. then Flew out to Milwaukee on April 11 to pick it up and rode it out to New Philadelphia OH and apparently worked it out with my old girlfriend so we are dating for now before we can consider being in a relationship.. then did a epic backroad by way of 250 thru OH, WV, VA then got home ok. Nothing exciting, really..

By now I am sure you are getting a chance to research about the ferry. There is a RR going on and this guy, PorLaTierra shared info on the ferry between Panama and Colombia.. apparently they will officially sail for first time early June and that the ferry is actually unorganized. I just caught up with his RR before I did your so thought I would give you a head-up. If you feel like touring the town while waiting for Ferry then it might be worth your time but if not.. guess ship your bike or something?? PorLaTierra's RR here. (I skipped to Page 11 so you can read about his report on the Panama-Colombia Ferry)

I think the chance of ferry lasting until you finish your epic S.America trip is highly likely, though!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #485
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,629
Great ride report and fantastic pictures I followed y'all on your Texas - Inuvik trip a couple of years ago. I had been off ADV Rider for a while. This was certainly a great re-introduction. I do miss the open road ...
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #486
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Very short update:

Kris and I are away from Texas with her parents on "vacation" from our travels. Sounds a bit odd but it's for a good reason. Today is the year anniversary of Ryan's death and we wanted to spend it together while creating new memories. If you guys have a chance, give us a quick prayer as we remember the brother and son that was lost last May 17.
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #487
09Prodigy
Instigator

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
give us a quick prayer as we remember the brother and son that was lost last May 17.
Done and Done
Old 05-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #488
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
My thoughts and prayer are with you

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #489
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #490
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Just chimed back in on your report after not following for a couple of weeks. Good to see you are both safe and well. And certainly hope you both get back at it soon. As a Wrencher I do have a quick question. How hard would it be to disconnect the sidecar? Could the mechanics have not done that to make it easier to work on the bike? And, would that not have exposed the oil leak a lot sooner? I guess not something you could have accomplished on the road at one of your more comfortable stops? I'm thinkin some big assed tools were probably needed that you were not carrying, yes?
I am so looking forward to following your journey up thru the rest of these amazing lands. Ride on, folks!
Old 05-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #491
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Last but least. . . I raised my cup for him.

And all our loved ones! I use to light up a candle in a church I visit, but in the last years they are so many. . .

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #492
Delilama
Papa Bear KLR

Oddometer: 186
Not into the god thing,but for yous guy's,will say one,and raise a glass or two of Single Malt
Now get back on the road!
Just kidding,have fun,take your time,look around,remember these day's.
Peace out
Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #493
Stkmkt1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Enjoy your time with your family Matt and Kris. We will be sitting here on the edge of our seats waiting for more adventure reports from you both once your back on the road.
Needs: new garage (in planning) Need more room for more bikes.
Stkmkt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #494
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 279
A prayer is offered. From my own experience of losing a daughter 24 years ago, time helps heal. Scars will remain, but with time comes peace and understanding.
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #495
Gage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Absolutely amazing ride report guys! Love the attitude and the pictures.... You are inspirational! Hopefully someday i can ride somewhere like you guys!

But i have to get some more details on this, if you know any. IT is amazing. I'm fascinated by alternative living structures. And this thing looks brilliant!
Gage is offline   Reply With Quote