half a Geodesic dome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic_dome
Old 05-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #497
Gage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Prodigy View Post

Yeah i knew it was a geodesic dome. I just wondered what model or who makes that tent? I should've been more clear. Would be cool to look into em. Build it up on a piece of my land and hang out for awhile
Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #498
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 765
Months Up ??

Man we screwed up

We could have taken turns flying in and out keeping the bike busy,
whilst the two young ones play wedding games

ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #499
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage View Post
Yeah i knew it was a geodesic dome. I just wondered what model or who makes that tent? I should've been more clear. Would be cool to look into em. Build it up on a piece of my land and hang out for awhile
THATS a tent? Bigger then my apt...
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #500
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
Man we screwed up

Jep, in the meantime I was to a job in a Atompowerstation in Switzerland. Travel by bike. Going back across Alsace and the Vosges mountains. Great trip. But waiting for the young couple. . . . . . .

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #501
Rochesterue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Patiently awaiting an update

Teddy
Rochesterue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #502
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 765
Trippin

I like the pace. I sometimes couldn't slow down enough when I was younger to take in maybe what I could have. I can now tho. Nice to see a young couple able to take their time and fit into what would normally be a hectic time in life with Families and making a living by sharing how to live and enjoy life on their terms.
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #503
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
Matt, we just got back, and we never ventured any further than the river in New Braunfels. My sis and her husband were in SA Sunday, and he had to be rushed to the hospital with a possible heart attack. Stress test for him today, they are from the valley. Good to hear that you are enjoying your time back in Texas. Have waited for every installment of you and your wife's adventure. That is what "living" is all about, just not going through the motions, but enjoying the beauty around you. Carry on.....
I realize this isn't timely, but I hope your bro-in-law is doing alright. Sounds serious. We definitely enjoyed our time in Texas but it's good to be back in South America!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I had meant that you'd replace your spare pair -- it's smart to have them. It wasn't a bad idea to salvage the pads - you were doing the most with the resources at hand.

Oh, and I am the crown prince of bad ideas. Just call me Señor Provocateur.
Ah, I see what you're saying. I brought another pair with me just so I have spares. Really important to have. Gracias, Senor P!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdavidz View Post
Yes yes yes i cant wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Just caught up with your report. I was out for most part of April doing some Fly N Ride.. bought a KLR650 from guy in Wisconsin last Feb without checking it out.. then Flew out to Milwaukee on April 11 to pick it up and rode it out to New Philadelphia OH and apparently worked it out with my old girlfriend so we are dating for now before we can consider being in a relationship.. then did a epic backroad by way of 250 thru OH, WV, VA then got home ok. Nothing exciting, really..

By now I am sure you are getting a chance to research about the ferry. There is a RR going on and this guy, PorLaTierra shared info on the ferry between Panama and Colombia.. apparently they will officially sail for first time early June and that the ferry is actually unorganized. I just caught up with his RR before I did your so thought I would give you a head-up. If you feel like touring the town while waiting for Ferry then it might be worth your time but if not.. guess ship your bike or something?? PorLaTierra's RR here. (I skipped to Page 11 so you can read about his report on the Panama-Colombia Ferry)

I think the chance of ferry lasting until you finish your epic S.America trip is highly likely, though!
Your FlynRide actually sounds great. Did you post a report?
Thanks again for the information. We're still trying to decide how we'll proceed once we get to Colombia - good to know we have options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63 View Post
Great ride report and fantastic pictures I followed y'all on your Texas - Inuvik trip a couple of years ago. I had been off ADV Rider for a while. This was certainly a great re-introduction. I do miss the open road ...
Thanks for following along again... I'm glad to see that you're getting back into ADV - have any rides planned?

Quote:
Done and Done
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskahack View Post
My thoughts and prayer are with you
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
Last but least. . . I raised my cup for him.

And all our loved ones! I use to light up a candle in a church I visit, but in the last years they are so many. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilama View Post
Not into the god thing,but for yous guy's,will say one,and raise a glass or two of Single Malt
Now get back on the road!
Just kidding,have fun,take your time,look around,remember these day's.
Peace out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stkmkt1 View Post
Enjoy your time with your family Matt and Kris. We will be sitting here on the edge of our seats waiting for more adventure reports from you both once your back on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgnu View Post
A prayer is offered. From my own experience of losing a daughter 24 years ago, time helps heal. Scars will remain, but with time comes peace and understanding.
Many thanks, my friends. I can't really express how much your responses mean to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Just chimed back in on your report after not following for a couple of weeks. Good to see you are both safe and well. And certainly hope you both get back at it soon. As a Wrencher I do have a quick question. How hard would it be to disconnect the sidecar? Could the mechanics have not done that to make it easier to work on the bike? And, would that not have exposed the oil leak a lot sooner? I guess not something you could have accomplished on the road at one of your more comfortable stops? I'm thinkin some big assed tools were probably needed that you were not carrying, yes?
I am so looking forward to following your journey up thru the rest of these amazing lands. Ride on, folks!
It is not all that difficult to disconnect the sidecar but as someone who is not experienced tweaking alignment, I really try to keep it altogether unless I really NEED to disconnect. It definitely would have made things easier to wrench but there is enough room to do everything we needed with the sidecar attached. Thanks!

Quote:
Absolutely amazing ride report guys! Love the attitude and the pictures.... You are inspirational! Hopefully someday i can ride somewhere like you guys!

But i have to get some more details on this, if you know any. IT is amazing. I'm fascinated by alternative living structures. And this thing looks brilliant!
Quote:
Quote:
They look pretty amazing. I don't know anything about the reality of actually staying in one but I am looking forward to a time when I can try it out...

Quote:
Man we screwed up

I'm sure that BigBoi would have appreciated that! Someone could have had a serious adventure in the time we've been gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
Jep, in the meantime I was to a job in a Atompowerstation in Switzerland. Travel by bike. Going back across Alsace and the Vosges mountains. Great trip. But waiting for the young couple. . . . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochesterue View Post
Patiently awaiting an update

Teddy
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]We're back![/COLOR]

Quote:
I like the pace. I sometimes couldn't slow down enough when I was younger to take in maybe what I could have. I can now tho. Nice to see a young couple able to take their time and fit into what would normally be a hectic time in life with Families and making a living by sharing how to live and enjoy life on their terms.
Thank you for that encouragement - I know it's only for a season but we're enjoying this part of our lives immensely.
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #504
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Texas, Buenos Aires, and Iguazu Falls

Hello friends! It's good to be back.
Life has been fairly hectic for us since we left the bike in Santiago, Chile and headed home. In a little less than 50 days we travelled to 3 countries, spent a total of 56 hours in various planes, we were in 2 weddings, and celebrated 7 birthdays.

I realize this is a motorcycle forum, so I won't post all the pictures we've taken as of late (if you're interested, check out www.bugsonmyface.com) but I thought I ought to share some of them.

Kristen and I first rushed home so that she could be in her friend's wedding and so that I could shoot it. I have to share this one image because I think it's awesome - I can only hope they print it and place it above their fireplace.

Kris and I then hit the road (air) again and headed down to Buenos Aires with her parents. It really is a fantastic city and we had a blast. The only thing I can complain about is the traffic and the insane taxi drivers that have no regard for life, including their own.

While we were there, we also spent some time at a gaucho ranch just outside of the city. I went into it thinking it was going to be a bit of tourist trap but it turned out to be absolutely fantastic. I highly suggest to anyone traveling in this part of the world to try and stop by an estancia.

I cannot believe how much this guy looks like Manu Ginobili:

After a ton of activities, we ate at a traditional gaucho BBQ. Meat = good.

These guys blew my mind: one was playing rhythm, the other lead all on one guitar.

continued...
Old 06-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #505
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Texas, Buenos Aires, and Iguazu Falls (continued)...

While we were in Argentina, we decided to also go see Iguazu Falls. Pretty spectacular if you ask me.

We stayed at a place in the rainforest. For dinner one night, there was some musical entertainment. Enter the most amazing ukelele-ist ever to walk the planet. Why he was hanging out in Iguazu and not Carnegie Hall, I have no idea...

We then jetted back to Texas where we celebrated Kristen's 30th birthday with a garish, Mexican (ish) party...

Soon after, we had a huge wedding weekend for my little sister at my grandparents ranch. It was spectacular as it should have been for my baby sis...I swear she's still only 11 years old. What happened??

There was a surprise for me during the reception. The band learned one of my songs from my rock band days with Grey Holiday. I was dragged on stage to sing...

After the wedding we had only a few days to get everything together to return back to Santiago and the bike. Our biggest challenge was figuring out how to package the 3 tires I wanted to bring with us.

2 rolls of duct tape and a cheap dolly from Academy later, my dad and I created something quite useful. Our new line of luggage comes out later this fall...

We once again said goodbye to our families, whom were none to happy to see us take off again. Especially our pooch, Bacon.

This time down, I decided to buck up a few more $$ and got us Economy Plus tickets. Well worth the extra legroom. As a 6'5" man, I salute you Economy Plus.

When we arrived in Santiago, we immediately headed to the same hostel we had stayed in previously. It should be mentioned that shortly after we arrived back in the US, Kristen developed a skin rash that had to be treated by a dermatologist. It turns out that she had contracted some sort of skin fungus and there was no doubt that it came from said hostel. Like I always say, it's not an adventure until someone picks up a skin fungus.

Anyway, we dropped some of our gear off and then headed over to the warehouse that had kept our bike while we were gone. The owner, Juan Carlos, is a hell of guy. The bike was in great shape and he spent the rest of the day running around with us while we changed the tires to some new Vredestein Snow+ and had our sidecar fender welded again, for the 4th time.

Eye protection? I don't need no stinking eye protection!

That evening we had dinner with Cathy and her family (she had helped us import the bike months ago):

The next morning, we made an unfortunate discovery. The bike was leaking oil again from the same bolt that it had been previously. It seems that the bracket that piggybacked upon one of the engine bolts was causing the leak. We headed over to the BMW dealership to get it checked out properly, decided to remove the bracket after talking with Claude, and headed back over to Juan Carlos and his welder. We decided that we wanted to move the bracket from the bolt up to the bike's crash bar. After explaining what we wanted, the welder went to work creating a custom piece. His wife brought us coffee while we waited:

We ended up with this:

I am still impressed.

Some other additions you may be interested in:
Vredesteins:

Hippo Hands:

The new weld:

New reinforced sidecar cover since it ripped while in Patagonia:

With all of that finished, we were finally ready to get the heck out of Santiago. To the North!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #506
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Day 69-74 in South America: Santiago to Punta de Choros

Day 69-74 in South America: Santiago, Chile to Punta de Choros, Chile

With all of our repairs and preparations behind us, we finally left Santiago and headed North up the Chilean coast. Lush, green valleys gave way to coastal vistas reminiscent of the Pacific Coast Highway in California.

We eventually made our way through Los Vilos and La Serena where we stopped to enjoy the beach and a tiny cabana where breakfast was served in room. A tip for those travelling to La Serena - don’t even try to stay in any of the places right off the beach. They are incredibly overpriced. By travelling a block or two inland, the value shoots way up...

After a night at La Serena, we decided to try and cut over to the tiny community of Punta de Choros to see Humbolt Penguins at a national reserve off the coast.

A healthy dose of road construction.

As we were climbing a particularly steep section of highway, the bike died. No power at all. Being well versed in the way of breakdowns, we calmly pulled over and began trouble shooting.

After going through the wiring, we determined the problem was at the battery. We pulled the battery out, cleaned all the connections thoroughly, re-wired our heated gear and power plugs and viola... BigBoi came to life once more. Huzzah!

After a bit more riding up the nice, paved highway, we turned back West towards the ocean and Punta de Choros.

Yes, Kristen now has a spyglass. Be jealous.

After riding past a long section of sand dunes, we knew we had to be getting close...

We rolled around town a bit trying to find a place to stay (BigBoi was attacked by a pitbull!) and settled on riding right along the coast to see if we could find a good place to camp. Enter ExploraSub Cabanas.

Assuming they would be a bit too pricey, we weren’t expecting much. It turns out that Punta de Choros is in its low season thus a beachside cabana with no other guests in the compound runs very, very cheap.

The dogs sealed the deal.

The view.

The neighbors.

After settling in, we ran in town for some groceries, made some dinner and fell asleep to the sound of the waves.

We woke up to an ocean sunrise with coffee...

...and then headed to the park to try and catch a boat to the penguin reserve. It turns out that the ocean was not cooperative.

Unfortunately, the sea was too rough to take anyone out to the islands. Not feeling too defeated considering our beach cottage was worth the trip, we hung around to photograph some of the fisherman and then headed back to our humble abode.

Riding around town later we came across this:

Definitely a whale’s tail. It must have smelled something awful while it dried up outside their house. Kristen and I tried our best not to imagine how or why it ended up there...

Whale tail aside, I never wanted to leave Punta de Choros and we ended up staying 3 nights. Have I said how much I love travelling with no real schedule?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #507
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,062
Trip

Glad ur back, if I had a whale tale that big I'd prob get arrested for indecent exposure. Lol. Oh great pics, what camera are you using again?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #508
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
So glad to see that you are back to your adventure. My brother in law is ok (a couple of stents arround the heart) and just last Wednesday, my girlfriend and I were married up in the mountains of Arkansas. My life is so much improved with a good woman by my side.

I had to replace my bike, the motor went south with no time to work on it, now getting prepped for the end of July departure for the west coast and a 21 state, 3 Canadian provinces and Alaska trip. So this is what I came up with.

did not intend to hijack your thread though........carry on...
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #509
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,811
Great pictures as always. Thanks for the update

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #510
RokLobster
Far from sanity

Oddometer: 75
You're back!! Safe travels and thanks for taking us along again.

Very jealous of the spy glass....might need to get one.
RokLobster is offline   Reply With Quote