User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #121
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Newberry, SC to Charleston, SC to Savannah, GA

While in Newberry, where we ended up staying for several days, I found a little music shop in the downtown area and bought a child's guitar. I assumed it would be good for just plucking around a bit but I found out that even for it's meager price... just not worth it.

The guitar I should have bought:

The guitar I bought:

We left Newberry and headed southeast to Charleston. On the way, Kristen was able to find us a few odd things to gawk at - she's consistently shocking me with these finds.

A nice ride into the city:

We then made our way into Charleston. For the next several days that we spent in the old part of the city, we ate a lot (try the coca cola cake at Jestine's) and soaked up the history of the place.

Rainbow Row:

On our way out of Charleston, we ran across Folly's Beach and enjoyed the surprise.

We also came across Lost Dogs Cafe where I had eggs benedict with fried green tomatoes. I mean, my stomach is literally growling right now thinking about them.

Kristen did it again in Folly's Beach and found some street art:

We then made the short ride into Savannah for Thanksgiving. It is here where things got a little depressing. Before I go on, Thanksgiving is a big deal in both our families. They go all out and we gorge on good, home-style southern cooking. So, both of our palates are set up for such a feast on one day of the year. We had the idea of trying to make it in to Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's restaurant) which we figured would be the next best thing. Kristen had read on their official webpage that it was one of the only days of the year where they don't take reservations. We figured we could wait and maybe get a table.

...they laughed at us when we got there. Apparently, they had been booked for over a year. Whoops...

We made the best of it and walked down to the waterfront for an unusual Thanksgiving dinner. Oysters, grilled cheese and hushpuppies. Not bad actually:

Savannah was a pretty cool place too:

We then headed out of town for the night in Pooler, which was much, much cheaper to find a room.

We did end the night on a down note though. Kristen's Gerbing jacket went out about a month ago and she's been wearing mine. On the way to Pooler, my jacket went out. I don't know what's happening but I hope it was a fluke...

Next up: Florida, where we hopefully won't need heated clothing.

mightymatt43 screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 01:25 PM
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #122
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Pooler, GA to Key Largo, FL

Sunshine.
Palm trees.
Sandy beaches.
The warm breeze rippling through my beard.
Hard to complain about that imagery! I admit that my facial hair is getting a little unruly (drinking has become a problem as my mustache frequently soaks up liquids) but we are certainly enjoying the things that Florida has to offer. High five, Sunshine State.

One thing I will say, however, is that Florida has been extraordinarily windy which has worn us out a bit...

We left Savannah and pointed BigBoy south around Jacksonville and then planted ourselves on Highway 1 - all the way down. Our first major stop was St. Augustine, a place recommended by Kristen’s mom. I'm glad she said something because it was one of our favorite cities we’ve been through during this trip.

The entire city was pumped full of people seeing as it was still Thanksgiving weekend. We were able to find a room at a dingy motel right next to The Fountain of Youth (I didn’t remember this from history class, but Ponce de Leon set up a little amusement park there) and spent the rest of our time bumming around the shops in the downtown area (we bought 2 new paintings for our hou..wait a minute...), eating a terrific meal, and gawking at all the Christmas lights.

We woke up the next morning to a crowd of people surrounding BigBoy asking all sorts of questions. We were thankfully able to extract some suggestions of places to see while in Florida but it set us back quite a bit. Nevertheless, we marched south until I decided take us on a little detour by Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. There is a small highway that that meanders along the coast which has several dirt paths to some very secluded beach spots (if we would have had more time, we definitely would have stayed awhile) and led us to Leonardo:

We rescued Leonardo as he was about to wander into traffic. He thanked us by exiting with a flip into the brush away from the road, pizza in one hand, his trusty katana in the other...

...yes. I was a child of the ‘90s.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are the best.

We eventually headed back over to the mainland and towards Cocoa Beach where we were planning on meeting Kristen’s oldest friend and her new fiance. It was then, however, that the proverbial poo hit the fan.
Not only was it a holiday weekend, but apparently there had been some sort of launch earlier in the day and there was also a marathon planned for the next day. So, we were left trying to find a room as the skies opened up and the rain started to fall. Just a perfect storm. Several failed attempts and frustrating phone calls later, we found a motel, cleaned up and shared a wonderful meal with Laura and Sam. It was totally worth the trouble.

We moved further down Highway 1A the next day. We were greatly enjoying the surf (which was being stirred by some pretty serious winds) until the sky opened up again and unleashed a rain storm that made us realize that our gear is no longer water proof. Our rain gear made it to the Arctic Circle and back and has served us well, but is now being forced into retirement.

About to get wet:

We quickly hunkered down in a hotel near Boca Raton until the rain passed. The storm gave way to quite the sunset display, however.

After a pleasant evening (except for the dropped iPhone which is now cracked) we headed down into the Miami area. We mostly stuck to 1A, although it was slow going, until we got to the South Beach area. It was then that we parked (I miraculously found motorcycle parking) and went to have some amazing Cuban food at Puerto Sagua while sun-scorched meatheads roamed the streets.
Rice: good. Fried plantains: good. Oxtail stew: good.

To end the day, we left Miami and headed for the Florida Keys. It’s here that I must pause a moment and say, drivers of Miami, I dislike the way you conduct yourselves on the road. Just settle down...

When we hit Key Largo, we stopped for the night to regroup and catch our breath.

Next up: Mile Marker 0!

mightymatt43 screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 01:25 PM
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:36 AM   #123
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 242
Keep it coming, guys! Best of luck on the trip south. Keep your knees in the breeze and the greasy side down! ...er, unless you're Kristen. Your knees are in the hack... I love the colors and the perspective in the pictures, and your words are so heartfelt and meaningful. I don't know if you guys are thinking this far ahead, but this story would make a great travel book. Just sayin'. Have fun, and we're all along for the ride!
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
J-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #124
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Great update!!! Thanks for sharing your adventure! Florida really doesn't have a lot to offer but it has it spots here and there. i am glad that you guys made the most of Thanksgiving. That day as well is a very special and day filled with food in our household. Guys stay safe and keep on enjoying the great roads.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #125
cmaridersa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
"Will the gentleman in Pew 48 please refrain from snoring during the service? Thank you."

Don't forget to stop by Holowpaw Gene's shop!
'04 Ural Patrol - MollyTov
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S w/Texas Sidecar
cmaridersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #126
BlueDreamWay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Amazing guys go on..
BlueDreamWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #127
Arthurwg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Great rig and RR. Could you please supply some details about mods to the bike? Did you maintain the stock wheel sizes? Why the new rear wheel? How did you attach the sidecar to the bike?
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #128
MiloBramble
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Just looked through your entire "Bugsonmyface" website....awesome stuff...I am jealous.
MiloBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #129
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
We moved further down Highway 1A the next day. We were greatly enjoying the surf (which was being stirred by some pretty serious winds) until the sky opened up again and unleashed a rain storm that made us realize that our gear is no longer water proof. Our rain gear made it to the Arctic Circle and back and has served us well, but is now being forced into retirement.
I LOVE this RR! Awesome photos and I like your go with the flow style.

Just a quick tip: I'm not sure what rain gear you are using, but generally rain gear has an outer layer of fabric (often rip-stop nylon, cordura, ballistic nylon, or polyester) with a DWR coating (durable water repellant) and then a waterproof membrane and then some inner fabric to encourage wicking. Generally in harsh conditions, the garments will lose their "waterproofness" because the DWR coating wears off due to sand, rocks, brush, etc. and not that the actual garment has totally failed. If the DWR coating on top is worn off, the top layer of fabric cannot repel water, therefore the top layer of fabric gets water logged and subsequently the "waterproof" membrane underneath is essentially sitting in a pool of water. The membrane has tiny holes inside it designed to wick moisture from the skin to the outside, however water sitting on the surface of the membrane due to the lack of DWR coating can enter these tiny pores. So, basically what I am trying to say is, instead of throwing the gear away and spending lots of money on new rain gear, just head to an outdoor gear store. They carry bottles of Nixwax or other brand sprays that can restore the DWR coating to your rain gear. All you need to do is pick up a bottle for $15 to $20 or so and follow the instructions. It might be a solution if you'd like to keep using the same gear!

Sorry, got kinda long winded there...
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #130
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Great Update guys...Great Photos complemented with culinary delights....ahhhh...!

NOW...how's BIG BOY?? How's the Tug?? Any quirks?? Is the Missus happy in her Cocoon? We Hackers n' Hackettes wanna know .

Cheers..........

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 09:31 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #131
Old JB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Thumb Great Ride Report!

Really enjoying the excellent ride report and the photographs.

The pictures of Charleston made me nostalgic as I went to high school there. As a coincidence, a high school friend is a Baptist minister in Folly Beach.

How are the Bluetooth headsets working out? Compared to the Autocom?

Keep up the great work!

John Benedict
Pomona, CA
Old JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #132
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 860
I kinda skip past the USA RRs in favor of the more exotic ones - where my dreams take me - but this is fantastic! I'm totally on board. Love the rig!
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #133
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
enjoying every post
hope that you'll spend a moment or 2 talking about BIG BOY...
not a "compare and contrast" to your URAL...
just something about YOUR experience with THIS rig....
thanks, as always, in advance

appreciate being taken along for the ride
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #134
rnbltt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Great RR!
rnbltt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:14 AM   #135
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 912
Great update once again!! Gotta love that giant mural of a tunnel