Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #466
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,164
There's a good Stoner interview by Mat Oxley in the Feb. 2012 issue of Roadracing World.

Conventional wisdom has it that the 800's favor high cornerspeed, 250-type, front-tire oriented riders, right? Except Casey says he carries the high cornerspeed with the rear tire, i.e., with just as much lean angle and speed as Jorge, but with the balance tending rearward, steering on the throttle. Says it seems safer to him. I've never heard or read it described quite this way. Definitely not point-n-shoot Superbike or flat-tracker stuff. Definitely pretty neat.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #467
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by stk0308 View Post
That's how I saw it too. It was an amazing save, but it should not be considered a master piece of strategy. But, some seem to think of it that way.
Watch "Fastest" the movie...Vale said he did the same thing once in a practice session..in reference to the dirt ride of corkscrew at Laguna. Not that he intentionally did it during the race...but he had a back of mind idea of what would happen. Neither time was on purpose mind you.

Someone correct me if I am wrong......that is what I am remembering from the movie, but I could be wrong and talking out my ass.

Good reason for me to rewatch it again.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #468
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Watch "Fastest" the movie...Vale said he did the same thing once in a practice session..in reference to the dirt ride of corkscrew at Laguna. Not that he intentionally did it during the race...but he had a back of mind idea of what would happen. Neither time was on purpose mind you.

Someone correct me if I am wrong......that is what I am remembering from the movie, but I could be wrong and talking out my ass.

Good reason for me to rewatch it again.
All I remember of Rossi talking of the move was he called it a "Simoncelli move". And feeling an odd kind of irony that he thought it was funny at the time.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #469
spezjag OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Agostini and Hailwood in the 50/60s didn't have any competition like Doohan, Rainey, and Rossi in the late 80's, 90's and 2000's. NOT EVEN CLOSE!
Ah, but they had each other . . .

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #470
spezjag OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,647
And the one who will always remain a question mark of how good he really might have been was Saarinen - he really seemed to have figured it all out in his brief career.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #471
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
and the one who will always remain a question mark of how good he really might have been was saarinen - he really seemed to have figured it all out in his brief career.
+1
Old 01-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #472
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,015
How can one compare racers of different era's with eachother? Surtees and his peers raced totally different equipment than Ago and jarno. KR found it faster to steer with the rear. The modern era favors wheels in line. Given the spread of technology and what it required of the rider, the only thing you can count is results. If that's all there is than the greatest is Ago.

No?
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #473
mulgathumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Meh, Stoner is an assstoundingly talented Moto GP alien .

Eesh, how far away is the first race again where Stoner will easily win??
Fixed it for ya mate.
mulgathumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #474
ilvecchio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
And the one who will always remain a question mark of how good he really might have been was Saarinen - he really seemed to have figured it all out in his brief career.
Yes, Saarinen and Pasolini taken in the same day was one of the great tragedies in motorsport.
ilvecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #475
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
How can one compare racers of different era's with eachother? Surtees and his peers raced totally different equipment than Ago and jarno. KR found it faster to steer with the rear. The modern era favors wheels in line. Given the spread of technology and what it required of the rider, the only thing you can count is results. If that's all there is than the greatest is Ago.

No?
That is my point. I think if Ago were in his prime today, he would kicking butt just like he did in his day on bias plys. It's in his heart....... Can't argue his results......

And until someone beats them, I am wearing his helmet pattern.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #476
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
I'm guessing it's the off-season.

As for the GOAT argument (apart from the fact that Angel Nieto is always criminally overlooked...), we will only be able to decide who was the Greatest Of All Time once All of Time is over. The theoretical physicists are still debating when and if this will happen. Personally, I don't think the GOAT has been born yet.

Nice try, and you got some going, but the "Of All Time" bit has always referred to known time, and not to merely possible time. The Greatest Of All Time is the greatest of all the time that has elapsed.

Sure, someone even greater may emerge in the near or distant future, if it turns out there is a near or distant future.

But today and every day, we know who all the GOAT candidates are, and always have.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #477
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Nice try, and you got some going, but the "Of All Time" bit has always referred to known time, and not to merely possible time. The Greatest Of All Time is the greatest of all the time that has elapsed.

Sure, someone even greater may emerge in the near or distant future, if it turns out there is a near or distant future.

But today and every day, we know who all the GOAT candidates are, and always have.

HOW long until the first race???

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #478
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by stk0308 View Post
All I remember of Rossi talking of the move was he called it a "Simoncelli move". And feeling an odd kind of irony that he thought it was funny at the time.
Yeah.. I view that pass in the corkscrew as a big mistake that just happened to work out well for Rossi. A mistake that didn't result in a crash and happened to get him the lead.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #479
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Yeah.. I view that pass in the corkscrew as a big mistake that just happened to work out well for Rossi. A mistake that didn't result in a crash and happened to get him the lead.
That's how it looked to me. I pictured this in his helmet "oh fuck, I'm gonna crash, ooohhh, I think I can save it, hey, I can take the lead if I just keep going!"

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #480
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
I'm guessing it's the off-season.

As for the GOAT argument (apart from the fact that Angel Nieto is always criminally overlooked...), we will only be able to decide who was the Greatest Of All Time once All of Time is over. The theoretical physicists are still debating when and if this will happen. Personally, I don't think the GOAT has been born yet.
I think December 21, 2012 has been pretty well accepted as the end of time, so we can base it on that.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote