Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #5296
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
The image of Rossi could have sold a few - as well as merchandise
this...the spectactular star that is(has?) been VR has sold ducatis by the truck load.GP success or not.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #5297
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
No curb there, either.

Like him or not, you are missing something if you don't realized Marquey Marq is special. Second coming? I don't think anyone has proclaimed that just yet.

That said, Pol Espargaro is becoming quite special too.
he is an amazing talent no question.He does seem to have no regard for his fellow riders on track tho.They are no more than mobile chicanes for him.
His talent is unquestionable
Old 11-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #5298
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
I would say they are copying their motogp effort to the letter

From a corporate perspective, changing leadership is about all you can do to short-circuit bureaucratic inertia (hiney-covering) that builds up in a protracted failure.

As anticipated early in the deal, any failure to yield significant results would be a waterloo for Ducati more than Rossi - he has toppled another giant. Its a remarkable career.
azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #5299
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,215
http://motomatters.com/news/2012/11/...c_ecu_int.html

Its an unholy compromise to allow the software advantage to remain, but at least Ezpeleta is holding the manufacturer's feet to the fire on fuel and reliability. It will be interesting to see how they change tune when CRT's start to podium late in the season!

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #5300
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
http://motomatters.com/news/2012/11/...c_ecu_int.html

Its an unholy compromise to allow the software advantage to remain, but at least Ezpeleta is holding the manufacturer's feet to the fire on fuel and reliability. It will be interesting to see how they change tune when CRT's start to podium late in the season!

The crazy thing is that it is the manufacturers who are holding their own feet to the fire on fuel and reliability. They asked for less fuel and fewer engines. He was happy to give it to them. They are insane.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #5301
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
The crazy thing is that it is the manufacturers who are holding their own feet to the fire on fuel and reliability. They asked for less fuel and fewer engines. He was happy to give it to them. They are insane.
thats what they want.They want to be able to develop the fuel usage algorithms.And for Hhonda engine relability is part of the engineering prowess.Honda will eat that up.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #5302
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
thats what they want.They want to be able to develop the fuel usage algorithms. And for Honda engine relability is part of the engineering prowess.Honda will eat that up.
Well, if you are Honda with an unlimited budget you want to apply pressure on your peers. HRC laid waste to the sport, yet it is a special rider who finally delivered for them.

As always, it is the special riders who make the difference. And thankfully we honor them here.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #5303
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
It works great

there have been five recalls on the Panigale, most, if not all, can cause a crash which will result in serious bodily harm.

You might have a good point there!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #5304
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I fail to see, how their current MotoGP effort is really helping them sell road bikes. MAYBE the image of Rossi could have sold a few - as well as merchandise - but when he's gone, they haven't got much left. Would be interesting to know, how much money they have poured into this (that also means they HAVE to sell more than a few bikes to make profit, no?) Success on track sells bikes, not sucking ass on the back of the grid.
Well, i don't buy a bike because of who rides the same make of bike in motogp or any other racing series or because that make of bike has been winning everything on track. Otherwise i would never have owned a BMW . But then i dont buy sports bikes. If that's how others choose their bikes then great, but I would surmise they are a very small percentage of the buying population.
The multistrada has moved street bikes on by a quantum leap just as the BMW GS did by effectively creating a new class. That has only been possible by making large leaps in performance allied to reliability. (i know some have had problems, but that is the same with all makes) These advancements can only have come because of strong competition and great expense. I know the argument is that BMW created the GS without a racing department, but times have changed and I think the pace of development for road bikes mirrors the race bikes.

bingbong screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 01:51 AM
bingbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #5305
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
It works great

there have been five recalls on the Panigale, most, if not all, can cause a crash which will result in serious bodily harm.

The Panigale is definately something else. This might be the bike to proove Ducati have either lost their way or that they were right when they said after the 1198 the v twin had reached its limit of performance. It'll be a fantastic bike no matter weather it wins WSB or not but i cant help but think they are spending truck loads of money to make a v twin copy an inline 4. Oranges and lemons. you cant turn one into the other but you can squash it.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #5306
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
this...the spectactular star that is(has?) been VR has sold ducatis by the truck load.GP success or not.
Also Hayden's 848 signature bike I believe sold out in roughly a couple of hours after they released it for sale.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #5307
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,460
Live 2012 FIM MotoGP™ Awards Ceremony

3:00 PM Eastern

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #5308
jktpa
X-Troller

Oddometer: 780
Remember Ducati counts bikes sent to dealers as bikes sold you could have gotten a new N.H. 848 a year later.
WR250R
ET4
jktpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #5309
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Well, if you are Honda with an unlimited budget you want to apply pressure on your peers. HRC laid waste to the sport, yet it is a special rider who finally delivered for them.

As always, it is the special riders who make the difference. And thankfully we honor them here.
Ok, then: all hail Lorenzo, two-time world champion, same as Stoner.

And while we're at it, all hail Hayden, who won as many championships on a Honda as Stoner.

Kidding aside, Stoner is a great rider, but he didn't look particularly special this year.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #5310
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
Well, i don't buy a bike because of who rides the same make of bike in motogp or any other racing series or because that make of bike has been winning everything on track. .
Not you and not me and probably not most of the guys on this thread, but the cult of personality works, period. Advertising works. Attach a hero to the ads and stuff goes off the shelf. Hell, forget about the bikes; go line up at the Rossi Booth for a 50$ hat!
I lived in Indonesia. Bahasa Indonesia phrases are plastered all over the Honda and Yamaha factory riders. Almost everyone that owns a scooter in Indonesia knows who Stoner, Pedrosa and Lorenzo are.

Sidebar: last race was exciting; I haven't seen the motoGP online feed have that many highlight arrows on the screen all year (watching it after the fact).

Emotional sidebar: Japanese men in tears at the 2nd place result. And me a little choked up at that too, as well as Stoner's last ride.

Cheers,
Erik
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote