Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #121
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspad View Post
Thanks for the reply + the one from XT - that's the kind of answer I was looking for. It appears from the vids to be a very obvious rider input even though the front wheel is only skimming the ground - every movement these guys make is calculated so it has to serve some purpose - other than just looking uber cool as well
yep, i know from experience that these crossed-up landings work on a mx/offroad bike and a trials bike no reason they wont work at hyper speeds as well
xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:53 AM   #122
Turder
Throttle engineer

Oddometer: 459
Krop's piece on riders & teams for 2012: http://www.motomatters.com/analysis/...pdate_aft.html

One thing I like about CRTs is that they bring different engine sound to the track. Now we got different angled and fired V4s and inline-fours with different cranks.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #123
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goose View Post
but don't forget about that wonderful NEW Honda transmission, I watch that pass Stoner made at the end of Valencia on Spies and can't help but think the bike(both power and transmission) was a huge advantage. Especially when Ben was spanking his times in the two whole laps leading up to that finish.
Granted. But that doesn't mean the rider will see it that way if he's struggling, especially as he doesn't get to ride bikes from rival factories.

It is one of the more fascinating aspects of the sport, IMO. And it is a complex thing, susceptible to vicious and virtuous circles. Is it the bike that is a few tenths off the pace, or the rider?

Much easier to convince yourself of the answer if the bike is a winner under another rider. (Tho the answer may still be wrong, as we appear to have learned of the Ducati.)
Moronic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #124
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,261
From an interview Casey said he took more risks catching Ben in those last few corners than he did all season. Still though, the Honda has been blowing other bikes doors off on the straights all year. Has there been one pass on a factory Honda this year that wasn't in a corner or under braking by another bike?

Those Honda's got some j00ce.

Also from twitter Azi Farni said that Rossi's goal this test wasn't to go fast but to check out and test new parts. The real 2012 Duck should be revealed in Sepang in Feb.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #125
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turder View Post
Krop's piece on riders & teams for 2012: http://www.motomatters.com/analysis/...pdate_aft.html

One thing I like about CRTs is that they bring different engine sound to the track. Now we got different angled and fired V4s and inline-fours with different cranks.

I still remember the fantastic, unmuffled shriek of the WCM R1-based bike at Laguna in 2005. Loved it.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #126
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goose View Post
but don't forget about that wonderful NEW Honda transmission, I watch that pass Stoner made at the end of Valencia on Spies and can't help but think the bike(both power and transmission) was a huge advantage. Especially when Ben was spanking his times in the two whole laps leading up to that finish.
I'm not completely convinced the Hondas obvious grunt and drive was the reason for that move though.
On that last corner, it appeared to me as though Ben ran a bit wide, with a slight correction 1/2way through the corner, washed off a touch of speed, then tried to get decent drive off the paint and bumps, while Casey turned it in much tighter from a wider entry, aimed it up, then pulled the pin and got better drive away from the paint.

Either way, jeez I felt sorry for Ben, what a ride to get there, it's almost like he was robbed, poor bloke! Really good last couple of laps in that race.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #127
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Also from twitter Azi Farni said that Rossi's goal this test wasn't to go fast but to check out and test new parts. The real 2012 Duck should be revealed in Sepang in Feb.

You realize that they're only saying it because the Champ is still 2 seconds off the pace... If he was faster you'd hear a different story.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #128
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,113
Check out crash.net for "Pictures they'd rather you didn't see..." in todays MotoGP news, best shots yet of the Ducati's 1st gen twin spar frame and 25+ other photos, including CRT bikes...

996DL

*someday I'll do my homework with post linking and photo uploading,
but not until I'm dragged in kicking and screaming...
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #129
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
Either way, jeez I felt sorry for Ben, what a ride to get there, it's almost like he was robbed, poor bloke! Really good last couple of laps in that race.
He did spend half the race parked behind Pedro and Dovi. Hard to imagine Stoner, Lorenzo or Rossi (on a Yamaha) doing the same thing.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #130
Florin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Check out crash.net for "Pictures they'd rather you didn't see..." in todays MotoGP news, best shots yet of the Ducati's 1st gen twin spar frame and 25+ other photos, including CRT bikes...

996DL

*someday I'll do my homework with post linking and photo uploading,
but not until I'm dragged in kicking and screaming...
If anybody still does not understand the difference between the good stuff and the CRT effort they should look at the Honda and Inmotec exhausts.

Florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #131
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florin View Post
If anybody still does not understand the difference between the good stuff and the CRT effort they should look at the Honda and Inmotec exhausts.
Make that If anyone doesn't understand the difference between the worlds biggest bike makers unlimited budget factory prototypes with 5 years of development and the CRT initial prototype exhaust for the inaugural year...
I don't care what the pipe looks like if the racing is good.
Sure I like exotic handbuilt stuff to look at but to me racing comes first, if the last 5 years is the way MotoGP is going then I am going back to watching roadracing on street courses.
At least with CRT we might get 20-24 riders on the grid, thats getting better in my book.
Bounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #132
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
He did spend half the race parked behind Pedro and Dovi. Hard to imagine Stoner, Lorenzo or Rossi (on a Yamaha) doing the same thing.
JLo was in the broadcast booth for part of the race. He said if he was in Ben's shoes he'd wait until the last few laps and then make his move on the Honda pair. I guess it all depends on how fast the guy in 1st place is going. In this case he was uncatchable in dry conditions.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #133
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Got to agree with MODNROD. Ben made a small mistake and Casey hit the exit perfectly, much more to it than any machine advantage.
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #134
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
you obviously dont understand the concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florin View Post

xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #135
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
You realize that they're only saying it because the Champ is still 2 seconds off the pace... If he was faster you'd hear a different story.
Well, but they were again on all new parts. Can't expect someone to get on what is basically an "alpha" stage machine and run right at the top. Really as for as much brand new stuff Rossi has been on, he hasn't been doing that badly. Him and Hayden both have been trying all sorts of new stuff and keeping their heads held high through the whole thing. Not sure how many other previous champions would have been able to do the same.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote