Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #121
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Doc, ol Jim Devro could make a new tire out of cactus or whatever else he could find in the desert. He's been doing hardcore 4x4 with various rigs and riding hardcore of all types for a long time. We'll be riding somewhere in the remote Ozarks and Devro will stop and point at a nasty hill or waterfall creek crossing and tell about his 4x4 days when he tackled it. He has driven a Toyota 4Runner through terrain that I couldn't do on a trials bike. He don't get lost either. Devro don't use GPS to check his route, GPS managers double check with Devro to see if the satellite is telling it right.

He's pretty much a real McGuyver. When you take a truck where he has you kinda have to fix what you break on the spot. I bought his old XR 250 which he raced GNCCs with, and I found more cool little things he did and made for it. He made the rear disc brake from a John Deere log skidder brake disc, homeade but well engineered frame/motor/exhaust braces, it had a homeade fork brace which worked great, if a little ugly. He don't need tires, he'll make one out of some old tennis shoes or tree bark or something.

If you ever get the chance to ride with Devro, take it. He's been everywhere in the Ozarks and lived to tell the tale.I call him "Daniel Boone Devro".
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #122
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Hey I finally found this thread. I hadn't been looking. I am going to be off work and plan to be there. I won't be staying overnight but I will probably ride down on Saturday early this time and try to follow the most hooligan, fastest riding bunch of idots that are going to stay off single track that I can find.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #123
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70 View Post
Hey I finally found this thread. I hadn't been looking. I am going to be off work and plan to be there. I won't be staying overnight but I will probably ride down on Saturday early this time and try to follow the most hooligan, fastest riding bunch of idots that are going to stay off single track that I can find.
and I will lead the quiet elderly folks in the opposite direction
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #124
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Ride the TAT

I am thinking that I will lead a ride on the TAT to the Oklahoma state line...I have both the track and the route from WR..this is a 86 mile ONE WAY to the Oklahoma state line...thats a 172 mile run round trip...will probably eat in Lincoln AR and gas up there also before heading back..we may follow the track back or I may mix it up a little..plenty of time to decide on that..should be fun.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #125
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 594
That sounds good! I think I would prefer to ride along with the Geritol group led by DrLewall.
EnduroRdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #126
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Are there still slots available for SLAP? If there is a slot available? I'd like to possibly join in.

Are the rides mainly dirt/trails or paved route options too? Single track, fire trails or dirt/gravel roads? Or some of those great Ozark twisties? What skill level or pace? I'm not a trail virgin, more novice to single track, intermediate on non technical trails, but looking to up grade my off-road skills (my trail bike is a TW200, so I pretty much just plod along). My sport tourer is a Versys, (I've done several hundred miles & muliple trips to AR for scenic twisty riding & self-contained camping. Never road my TW down to AR loaded for camping. I prefer a moderate pace & like to occasionally stop to enjoy the scenery and snap a photo or two. I'm in the 55+ age group (my throttle wrist is more laid back than in past decades).

Has anyone trailered both sport tourers & trail bikes to this event? If not, I'd ride down & tent camp, if so, I'd trailer down both a TW & a Versys and take advantage of both types of riding, I'd also bunk in my cargo trailer/camper conversion.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #127
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
Are there still slots available for SLAP? If there is a slot available? I'd like to possibly join in.

Are the rides mainly dirt/trails or paved route options too? Single track, fire trails or dirt/gravel roads? Or some of those great Ozark twisties? What skill level or pace? I'm not a trail virgin, more novice to single track, intermediate on non technical trails, but looking to up grade my off-road skills (my trail bike is a TW200, so I pretty much just plod along). My sport tourer is a Versys, (I've done several hundred miles & muliple trips to AR for scenic twisty riding & self-contained camping. Never road my TW down to AR loaded for camping. I prefer a moderate pace & like to occasionally stop to enjoy the scenery and snap a photo or two. I'm in the 55+ age group (my throttle wrist is more laid back than in past decades).

Has anyone trailered both sport tourers & trail bikes to this event? If not, I'd ride down & tent camp, if so, I'd trailer down both a TW & a Versys and take advantage of both types of riding, I'd also bunk in my cargo trailer/camper conversion.
YES on all accounts! C'mon!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #128
DrLewall
The Human GPS

SLAP Trax

I want to remind everyone that there is another thread with several SLAP Trax on it...they would be handy if you just wanted to get out on your own and see some interesting points of interest..there is a link on the front page of this thread.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #129
nnichols
Slave to the Machine

Oddometer: 149
Go ahead and put me down for a bunk.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #130
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,377
Payment sent.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #131
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Payment given! cash, in person with a big-ol-smile!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #132
Redracer675
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Bunk

I'm out. I had a bunk reserved but no deposit in.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #133
danotech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I forgot all about this. Could not go last year. Wife made me go to our sons HS graduation. Put me down for a tent site 'cause I've drug my feet and missed the lodge.

Dano

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
danotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 AM   #134
mossycreek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
We still have some Bunk spots left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danotech View Post
i forgot all about this. Could not go last year. Wife made me go to our sons hs graduation. Put me down for a tent site 'cause i've drug my feet and missed the lodge.

Dano

sent from my ipad using tapatalk hd
mossycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #135
XATLASX
Doomsday Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Cant quit planning....cant wait
XATLASX is offline   Reply With Quote