Contour+ 28 43.75%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
JesperP-H OP
Anthro-Rider

Oddometer: 18
Question Contour+ vs. GoPro Hero

So people... Whats the tally?

I'm looking into buying an actioncam (also for commercial use) - what are people's experiences with these two?

They seem to be the main candidates but I may be mistaken?

Con amoure

DK
JesperP-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,177
I have both... started with the GoPro and then bought a Contour on that Amazon deal a couple of months ago. I would say it depends on what you want to do with it. The picture quality on the GoPro is better. The color saturation and auto exposure simply produces a better picture than the Contour. The contour is easier to use, looks better on a helmet and the contour roam is waterproof and seems better built than the GP.

The main reason that the Contour sees more action now than the GoPro is the great big on/off instant record button. With the GP you pretty much have to turn it on and let it record. This produces huge files that are a real PITA to edit. With the Contour you can reach up and flip it on with a gloved hand when a good section comes up.

Comes down to your intended use.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
JesperP-H OP
Anthro-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I have both... started with the GoPro and then bought a Contour on that Amazon deal a couple of months ago. I would say it depends on what you want to do with it. The picture quality on the GoPro is better. The color saturation and auto exposure simply produces a better picture than the Contour. The contour is easier to use, looks better on a helmet and the contour roam is waterproof and seems better built than the GP.

The main reason that the Contour sees more action now than the GoPro is the great big on/off instant record button. With the GP you pretty much have to turn it on and let it record. This produces huge files that are a real PITA to edit. With the Contour you can reach up and flip it on with a gloved hand when a good section comes up.

Comes down to your intended use.

This is hands down the most comprehensible answer I have seen up to this point.

Much appreciated!

Any other opinions?

DK
Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
nielsm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I seriously considered the Contour for a while. I always thought the GoPro looked a little cheap, but the more I looked at it, the more impressed I was. The Contour was at the front of my list until the Hero2 came out.

With that, the Contour's advantage fell away. Both offer remote video feed to your smartphone (GoPro WiFi pac coming out next month). Both offer high quality video. The Contour does offer a remote on/off out of the box, but that comes with the WiFi pac for the GoPro, so it's a wash (especially with cost)

But, the GoPro offers me more. Beyond video, it can do stills, even stills periodically so you can create time lapse. It can do high speed as well (60 & 120FPS). Lots of add ons, like an extra battery, LCD display for playback & setting up shot. A huge array of mounts. Options to connect two of them together to create 3D movies, etc.

The Contour is a great camera and a worth competitor to the GoPro. But, for me, the ecosystem of the GoPro made it the more appealing choice to me.
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
JesperP-H OP
Anthro-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsm View Post
I always thought the GoPro looked a little cheap, but the more I looked at it, the more impressed I was. The Contour was at the front of my list until the Hero2 came out.

The Contour is a great camera and a worth competitor to the GoPro. But, for me, the ecosystem of the GoPro made it the more appealing choice to me.

Hmm. I agree on the look of the GoPro, but I am not getting more impressed by it.

I hadn't thought about the whole ecosystem of the GoPro - I'm just wondering - can the GoPro be switched on while driving and gloved? They both have the smartphone monitor function but that's not gonna do me any good when I'm actually riding.

Any more thoughts?

DK
Old 02-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperP-H View Post
Hmm. I agree on the look of the GoPro, but I am not getting more impressed by it.

I hadn't thought about the whole ecosystem of the GoPro - I'm just wondering - can the GoPro be switched on while driving and gloved? They both have the smartphone monitor function but that's not gonna do me any good when I'm actually riding.

Any more thoughts?
It can be...but you have no idea if you actually accomplished the task or not... myself and at least two of the folks I ride with have come to an end of a ride and realized we had, at some point, not turned on the GP when we intended...and from there on out we were turning it off when we intended to turn it on.

I agree with the above poster as well.. the Hero2's new sensor is even better than the original Hero, making the GP a better camera if image quality is what you are looking for. I am an avid photographer as well and image quality is important to me,,but for the simple youtube videos I make with my helmet cam, I always use the Contour now.

If you watch shows on Discovery Channel, I know you are not in the US, but also on BBC, you can see GoPros in use on shows like American Pickers, Top Gear, etc... you wont see any Contours

Maybe the new wifi back to the GP will make it easier to use ... link it to your smart phone, mount the smart phone where you can see it,, and then you will know if you have the cam switched on or not???
Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,436
I also agree that the GoPro has better image quality but is such an utter PITA to use I much prefer the Contour. I got to the point where I hardly ever used the Hero. The Roam with the single switch activation and record is pretty much idiot proof.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
motomark39
I reckon so

Oddometer: 1,061
gO GoPro

The GoPro is much better. I started with Contour when they first came out, as VHolder, and never had a camera of theirs work as it should. After they finally sent the 4th one,(with much arm twisting), and it wouldn't work, with all the suggestions from them that it was me, I got a GoPro and have had NO, NONE, NOT ONE, problem. I am a happy videographer. Last time I rode with a buddy on a epic ride, we got home and I posted some video, when I inquired about his video, he said his Contour HD failed to function. I was not surprised.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
JesperP-H OP
Anthro-Rider

Thumb

Ok - that's one more vote for the GoPro.

But how about sound? What if I were to record sound at the same time? I found out that the Contour has the possibility of an external microphone.

Thanks for your input!

So far it seems like the GoPro is ahead in regards to quality whereas Contour is ahead on aesthetics and usability.

Keep 'em coming!

DK
Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
inbred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
"They seem to be the main candidates but I may be mistaken?"

Give the VIO HD a looksy. I have owned all three (Go Pro, Contour & Vio).

They all have some advantages over the others. But no doubt, none whatsoever, if I had to own only one, it would easily be the Vio. Sure it's $600.00 smackers, and sure it's got a tether between the recorder and the lens, but once you get comfortable using it, the two others seem like gum ball machine finds.
inbred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #11
JesperP-H OP
Anthro-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbred View Post
"They seem to be the main candidates but I may be mistaken?"

Give the VIO HD a looksy. I have owned all three (Go Pro, Contour & Vio).

They all have some advantages over the others. But no doubt, none whatsoever, if I had to own only one, it would easily be the Vio. Sure it's $600.00 smackers, and sure it's got a tether between the recorder and the lens, but once you get comfortable using it, the two others seem like gum ball machine finds.

Hmm. Thanks! I'll check it out! My budget, however, doesn't exactly stretch that far. But maybe if there is indeed the proverbial pot'o'gold at the end I'll give it a thought..

Cheers!

DK
Old 02-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
beanbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Try the camera from eye spy world in Adelaide south australia, I have one on my gsa,I have used it on outback tracks, it has a lot better picture than any thing else, that I have seen, I would like to put a sample up but have not worked out how to, it also has a monitor that fits on the handlebars,
beanbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #13
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,270
I own the contour roam, but have ridden with a lot of guys with the gopro.

I'm not interested in the best picture quality, they are all good.

What I wanted was an easy to use camera to take videos on the trail.

The contour is about as easy to use as possible. I routinely switch it on and off while actually riding and theres no mistaking if it's recording or not. Makes it easy to piece together usable footage for a youtube video. Don't underestimate the size of the files, they can be enormous. Just putting together a 10 minute video can take hours of processing with windows movie maker and then uploading.

With smaller segmented video clips made easy with the contour slider I greatly reduce the editing time which is fabulous. I also like the slimmer design.

For dirt bike speeds in the woods the sound is fine. For road riding above maybe 30 the wind noise can overwhelm the mic.

I love my contour, I'm sure the gopro is very nice as well and I think is a more popular camera overall. But for a quick, I gotta record this!!!, functionality I think the contour is the winner and thats exactly why I like it

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,530
Another one that gets overlooked is the Drift HD. It's big plus is an RF remote you can wear like a watch or strap to the triples, plus external mic input.

http://driftinnovation.com/drift-hd-action-camera/

Between the Drift & Contour it was a toss up for me until Drift got it's remote, if you use it for other things besides riding (i.e. paddling, setting it up on a tripod, getting funky POV shots like strapping it above the front fender) the remote is the shiznit. And being RF instead of IR you don't need a straight line of sight, you don't even need to be in the same room to start recording.

GoPro's biggest success has been marketing, i.e. product placement on the various reality TV shows.
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #15
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperP-H View Post
This is hands down the most comprehensible answer I have seen up to this point.

Much appreciated!

Any other opinions?
Coming soon the Wi-Fi remote for the Hero2
http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories...-remote-combo/

I do not own an actioncam yet, but this specific and indispensable accessory will push me to make the jump for the Gopro very soon. I own a sidecar and I plan to put the actioncam also on the chair, so the Hero2, with its remote, will be for me the only practical way to go.
twintwin is offline   Reply With Quote