User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
slowinfastout OP
Just Ridin' By....

Oddometer: 1,698
KTM 690 R Enduro quits after 90 seconds

I have a 2013 KTM 690 R I bought off Craigslist sight unseen and had shipped to me, it just arrived. It has a Leo Vince pipe on it but no re-map and appears to have had emissions removed. 703 miles on the bike. The prior owner is no help stating the mechanic told him the bike needs a Power Commander to compensate for the pipe. While I can understand that, it should not be a factor in the bike shutting off after 90 seconds of running (hot or cold, doesn't matter). It runs fine - until it shuts off. Any ideas?

BTW, you guys didn't tell me how fast this bike is. OMG, its like being shot out of a cannon.

Duane
slowinfastout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
AMa.
Topographer

Oddometer: 261
In short, it needs:

1) Open air intake (EVO1, EVO2 or modified stock)
2) Proper ECU mapping (EVO1 or custom)

More detailed info at KTM 690 TuneECU thread

KTM 690 R 2012
AMa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
I have a 2013 KTM 690 R I bought off Craigslist sight unseen and had shipped to me, it just arrived. It has a Leo Vince pipe on it but no re-map and appears to have had emissions removed. 703 miles on the bike. The prior owner is no help stating the mechanic told him the bike needs a Power Commander to compensate for the pipe. While I can understand that, it should not be a factor in the bike shutting off after 90 seconds of running (hot or cold, doesn't matter). It runs fine - until it shuts off. Any ideas?

BTW, you guys didn't tell me how fast this bike is. OMG, its like being shot out of a cannon.

Duane
Don't think your problem is anything to do with the exhaust mod although I would get it remapped.

The 90second delay before shut down points to a fuel issue for my money, maybe a bad clogged filter, dodgy pump or even an airlock somewhere? Having said that a cracked plug lead can have similar quirks. The power commander comment is clutching at straws but if you have a wad of spare cash why not just get a better exhaust....Acro or Wings, FMF i.e. ones that will work on a 690.

If you have a good KTM dealer handy I would get them to give it the once over in anycase as its a new to you bike.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
bothfeetin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I would replace the points and condenser and re-set the dwell !
bothfeetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
MTK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
bike shutting off after 90 seconds of running (hot or cold, doesn't matter). It runs fine - until it shuts off.
Based on your comments I currently have this vision of you hoping on bike riding for a minute and a half....restarting and riding for another minute and a half......

Or does it actually run longer?
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
slowinfastout OP
Just Ridin' By....

Actually its more like 30 seconds. I read up on the forum and its suggested to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, then re-connect and let idle for 15 minutes to let the DME figure out everything. Did that and the bike still will not stay running...starts fine, idles at just under 2,000 rpm, then quits. Repeat many times. Giving it gas doesn't help, it still chokes and dies. Possibly a pinched vac line, but I don't know the bike at all - still searching. Air filter is clean....btw
Old 11-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
slowinfastout OP
Just Ridin' By....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothfeetin View Post
I would replace the points and condenser and re-set the dwell !
KISS MY ASS, Scott !
Old 11-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
MTK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
..recap, bike won't run longer than 30 seconds. (maybe 90)
but you managed to do the 15 minute idle reset?

You also mentioned how fast the bike is ("like being shot out of a cannon")

Hard to help diagnose with such conflicting info.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 853
I'd put money on it that your injector is clogged. Remove it from the throttle body and hit the starter button while watching the spray pattern. If it is anything other than a fine mist in a nice cone shape, it is clogged/ dirty and you need to backflush it. I've had to do it before and just use a short section of rubber hose clamped to the nozzle and apply compressed air to it. 90 psi is enough to overcome the injector and blow all the crud out the same direction it came in.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
Telemarktumalo
Coffee Achiever

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMa. View Post
In short, it needs:

or put the OEM pipe back on and call it good

Telemarktumalo screwed with this post 11-30-2014 at 09:27 PM
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #11
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
Those things must have a fuel tank vent on them some where. It should go to that missing charcoal canister. See what he did with it. In the mean time loosen the gas cap and see if it will run longer than 90 seconds.

itsatdm screwed with this post 11-30-2014 at 11:16 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #12
runt boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:

Duane
Well, youre gonna have to put that one down to experience ol mate. Buying a bike sight unseen is like manner from heaven if your selling a bike with problems.
Anyhow, process of elimination from here & first of all, Id do what AMa said

In short, it needs:

if that works well & good, if not, at the very least you will know the state of the tunes as a baseline & its one off the list as you work thru it. Good luck
runt boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:47 AM   #13
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 900
Don't have one

But it sounds like the fuel pump comes on and primes the bike when he starts, but thats it. The bike runs till it runs out of fuel.
Can you shut it off start it again and run for another 30-90 before it dies?
sounds like the pump is not getting the memo that it needs to turn on and do its thing.
What tells it to pump?
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:48 AM   #14
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 2,011
Have a read through my idiots guide - troubleshooting and stories chapter, link in my sig line,

If the bike shuts down exactly the same time every time it is either fuel supply or the EFI is seeing a fault from a sensor and shutting the motor down.

Check fuel filter, pump output and injector for blockage, a tech bulletin was issued fitting a little top hat filter in the inlet connection to the injector and it can block really easy, best removing it and throwing it as they are nothing but trouble.

An electrical fault in the EFI will put on the FI light so therefore it is not an open or short circuit in a sensor but maybe one that is out of normal range causing a fuel cut signal, this is a safety protection in the ECU if there is an exceedance sensed.

Check throttle sensor settings using Tune ECU.

Tons of other things but you just have to start eliminating stuff in order to track down the fault.

Andy
KTM 690 EFI Idiots Guide
KTM 690 Troubleshooting Guide
El Ponkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #15
slowinfastout OP
Just Ridin' By....

It does appear to have a UNI foam air filter it in (high flow)

http://www.ktmtwins.com/uni-ktm-690-...smc-air-filter

As to the stall out and failure to run for any length of time, I'll pursue some of the tips here and see what i can come up with. Not having access to KTM Engine Management software means there is only so much I can do to troubleshoot it of course, but I will check for clear injectors and crimped vent lines, etc. And if I can't find a solution, it will go on the trailer and get dropped at the dealer to solve.

To detail the problem more, it fires right off and idles steady. Then the idle slowly ramps down and kills the engine (appx 30 seconds). It re-starts just fine and repeats as many times as you want to do it. Note that there are three of us looking at it, myself (and I used to be a pro mechanic on Yamahas back in the 70's) and two other riding pals all well-versed in motorcycle mechanics. The three of us know how to work on bikes but none of us are well-versed in KTM fuel management and electronics (We all have BMW GS1200's), so I was hoping to find that 'a-ha' bit of advice on perhaps a certain sensor acting up from those intimately familiar with 690's. It seems to me, that is what is happening, there is a component shutting off the fuel delivery after not getting a reading somewhere in the system. When it runs, it runs GREAT and strong. But it will die out with time, no matter if idling or if running down the street (obviously not going too far with it). It probably will require a diagnostic computer to determine the fault, but it never hurts to ask here first.

slowinfastout screwed with this post 12-01-2014 at 06:20 AM