Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #196
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Unless you're talking about Dualsports that you load up with gear and need reliability more than ultimate performance. (isn't that what we're talking about here?)
So torque would be a good thing then, no? Here comes a shocker, so brace yourself... You can't get it alone just by dropping the compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500 View Post
It's a fact that efi can give you a broader, more predictable power band. carb and efi are equal when it comes to max power.

the bore vs stroke of an engine is a determining factor in max rpm, torque and volumetric efficiency.
This honda sounds like its going to be poo.
I agree. Don't know why these guys are saying EFI doesn't make power because it's not "tuned". Well hell, you can tune a XR250 to blow a CRF250 out of the water by "tuning" it... It just won't last long that's all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBKK View Post
For everyone who's wondering about the power and reliability of the engine in the Honda CRF250L you only have to look at the new Honda CBR250 as it's the same engine in both bikes.
Yeah, it's the same. We got that. It's compression is lower too, no?

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 11:47 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #197
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Dude...

Seriously...

Bore X stroke measurements only tell a very small part of the picture.

Alone they tell you absolutely nothing about how a bike makes its power.

The NX didn't sell very well so Honda dropped it, get over it.

It was a very ordinary bike to begin with and only designed as a commuter anyway.

EFI is cleaner than carbs, not more powerful.

There...

Someone had to say it.
No, bore and stroke (compression and cam) tell you everything. Compare KTM 2t 200-250-300 to any 4t 250-450.

And while yer at it, compare any gas to a Diesels...

But don't stop at a number. That's a waste of time. LOOK at the RPM's they generate the peek power in.

33hp at 13,000,000 RPM's (yz250f) is a far cry from a practical 33hp @ 5,500rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
You beat me to it!
I wonder where the misconception comes from that EFI instantly gives you more power?
Again, a Toyota 22R and 22RE. Same EXACT bore, stroke, compression ratio, same heads, combustion chamber and cam. EVERYTHING is the same ex the EFI.

But it's not tuned... So let's compare the 22RE to a Kieth Black Hemmi? 25:1 compression and 25GPM fuel pumps! 1,500hp... And lasts about two passes.

So don't give me that tuned crap! You can tune till the cows come home it's not a fair comparison the compare the probable numbers of a tuned engine to a stock one.

They either both get tuned, or they both get compared stock.

The XR250 had 17hp STOCK, and as a consequence it was reliable!

Tune a XR250 to 25hp or more and we'll see how long it lasts... A year? Maybe two?

Hardly sounds fair to me.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 11:52 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #198
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,329
Tuning in my book is adjusting the mixture on a FI bike.
You need to buy a power commander to 'tune' it so its not super lean.
There is no wide band system on any motorcycle I ever heard of, and some systems are really very poor.

And the car motor carb to FI comparison is not really valid, in order to meet emissions standards, they had to do all sorts of tricks to a carb setup to get it to pass, and it would never be able to pass now.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #199
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

you can also tune a carb engine to run extra rich... And gas wash the cylinder walls...
Old 03-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #200
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

And the car motor carb to FI comparison is not really valid, in order to meet emissions standards, they had to do all sorts of tricks to a carb setup to get it to pass, and it would never be able to pass now.
89 was pretty much the last year of the 22R... And since 95 the R is no longer available in the US anyway.

And I've heard it said the reason why Husky dropped the 610/630 is because the can't make that engine pass emissions...

Apples/apples..
Old 03-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #201
valvecrusher
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
So don't give me that tuned crap! You can tune till the cows come home it's not a fair comparison the compare the probable numbers of a tuned engine to a stock one.

They either both get tuned, or they both get compared stock.

The XR250 had 17hp STOCK, and as a consequence it was reliable!

Tune a XR250 to 25hp or more and we'll see how long it lasts... A year? Maybe two?

Hardly sounds fair to me.
My XL250R 1987 (XR engine based) was 26 hp stock, same as the NX250. However, with a much lower redline, it was A LOT faster, as well.(less weight also) It had more torque, and lower rpms.

How long did it last? 20,500 miles (4.5 years) and still happily starting first kick when i sold it to the new owner...

How did it do that? Good mpgs(120+ mpgs), fast 0-60 time, and great durability?

Twin Carbs.
And it was perfectly tuned with the correct jets, select spark plug, and some minor exhaust tweaks..

It did it with alot less RPMs, and would smoke Harleys from a dead stop..

I have no doubt i could have pulled another 20,000 miles before i put a piston ring in, maybe slightly less miles if it began to smoke or burn oil.
But it did neither when i sold it.

ymmv

The 2carb XR250r was rated 29, 30 or 31 hp depending on which factory reference manual you had to go by..
But they have reputations for blowing up

The single carb XR250r was a bit less...but had different bore and stroke, as well as induction style

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #202
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
So what weighs more...a lb of ignious volcanic rocks or a lb of lays potato chips?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #203
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
So what weighs more...a lb of ignious volcanic rocks or a lb of lays potato chips?

Are they intrusive or extrusive igneous volcanic rocks?

And more importantly, what kind of DIP are you serving with those chips???
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #204
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
I couldnt find this crf 250l on hondas site where did you see that they might be making one?
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #205
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
I couldnt find this crf 250l on hondas site where did you see that they might be making one?
They've already made it, will be released in Australia shortly but I'm not sure about the other countries
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #206
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,803
They are making it. It's just a question of IF it will be sold in the USA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQNKbs3V9sE
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:00 AM   #207
HellCat650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85

I would imagine that this will kill sales of the existing 230L's...probably why it's not showing up on the sites yet.
Sell off their inventory first....

This might be a great bike for the Mrs...
(and of course I would have to test it out for her)

HellCat650 screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 06:03 AM Reason: Addition
HellCat650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #208
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellCat650 View Post

I would imagine that this will kill sales of the existing 230L's...probably why it's not showing up on the sites yet.
Sell off their inventory first....

This might be a great bike for the Mrs...
(and of course I would have to test it out for her)
Sell off the inventory.

If that's the case, we 'mercuns wont see this bike for several years
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #209
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Blah, Blah, Blah EFI, ETC, ETC

Now that I own a wr250r, I can say that the damn thing is great! Went from a xr650l to it, it's a better bike when you consider that it is only 250cc... way better! If Honda can make it as "friendly" as the 230L but almost as fun as the wr250r... Well... Home-run my friends, grand-slam home-run.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #210
black comet
Chink rider

Oddometer: 5
I was wondering about something.

Over hear in Singapore. We use bikes not just for leisure but also as a basic form of transport.

There's a few funny questions hope you guys can help me out over here.

CRF250L

Got AIS equivilent. Off set crank, New unique rocker arm design to minimise noise, EFI. comp at 10.7
Engine is base on a road bike. Seems like the fork and rear shox offers bare minimium adjustments.
Cheaper steel frame.

WR250

AIS, EXUP, Standard cams with standard bucket over shims designs. EFI. comp at 11.8
Engine is designed solely for off road and matard. Full adjustments for fork and rear shox.
Aluminium alloy frame.

I wonders, Base on the above mentioned, which bike in ur opinion is easier and cheaper to maintain?
I seem to have this old school ideology that, the more parts a machine have, the higher chance that componet will fail.

There is a few parts on both bikes that I particular concern with.

The valve train design. The frame material, engine origins and the EXUP.

Honda's fork shape rocker arms for the valve actuation claims that it's quieter and have a longer service interval.
Also, rumours have that it's easier to change shims as it is not required to remove the cam in order to access the shims.

Frame material. I have use bikes with steel frame so far. No complain on that. But Aluminium alloy frame? I have have no experiencce on that. But all tech datas on metals seems to point that All aluminium alloy have lower fatique limits and fatique life than steel.

Engines. One is straight from a street/race bike. The yamaha one is suposed to be develope purely for it usage. Can't help but to feel that The Honda CBR250r bases engine is more meant for street use only than for motard and offroad. (U know? things like those on off riding and etc. Plus it does not have a easy access clutch cover. to replace clutch, u need to romove the whole crank case side cover.)

EXUP. Amazing piece of technology. Reminds me of a fighter aircraft's variable air intake and the afterburner exhaust nozzle. I still remember my childhood days. When Yamaha came out with the YPVS for their 2 stroke. To me back then, It was DAH THING to have on a bike (I was a kid back then:P). All seems nice on paper and from technology perspective. But is it really that good? And do it fail often?

My usage over here in Singapore is pretty diff from America and Europe. Over here, we use it a a primary mode of transport for some (kinda like how the Europeans and Americans drive a car to work and etc) On week ends, will join biker friends for rounding or maybe some light trails.

Rding pattern is abit extreme here. One moment we are stuck in traffic jams and maybe the max speed is 40km/h. Then next moment we are on freeway going at 100km/h.

Maintenace ability in this small country here is limited. Not much shop can do a full maintenace as according to the manual. Some shops here are still doing valve clearance by gut feeling (yes no feeler guage). Oil, filter and coolant change is not a issue, but they like to over tighten everything. We either spend much much more by going to the Main Distributor here (still they do blotch jobs once a blue moon. The Main distributor)
Or we can DIY.

Please share you opinions, in this aspect. Which bike is more attractive to get? Not in performance context, but rather on Quiet nice and easy control smooth ride and Ease of Maintenance.

Thanks in advance:)
black comet is offline   Reply With Quote