ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #301
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,324
Every one I ever had.
Just did my tw200, cost me $5.00 for a 130 main jet.
The needle shim was free, as was pulling the easy to remove cover over the idle mixture screw.

I did my dr650 with a dynojet kit, then fit a pumper carb.
I have rejeted everything from old and new Triumphs, Harleys, 2 stroke bikes, xl250 with a 300 powroll kit, cam and suppertrap exhaust, xt250, everything I ever owned.
They were all very easy.

I never did fix my surging lean running Harley. I was not about to buy a power commander and spend money on a dyno tune.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Have you ever rejetted a Japanese dual sport carb? They aren't the same as dirt bike carbs. I have done a few Hondas and Yamahas and it was always a bitch even with a jet kit. Even with baseline specs, jets and shims from a kit you still have to drill out plugs and/or over ride whatever else the factory puts in to stop people from rejetting.

Given the choice I would rather just buy and plug in an EFI tuning gizmo. Look at the KTM's and Husabergs. There are already off the shelf kits for a couple of hundred dollars that not only remap and correct but give you switchable mapping. That is our future. One that I am ready to embrace. Just not on an overweight, underpowered 250.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #302
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
I'm seeing brand new 2009 CRF230Ms for sale on Cycle Trader for $4000. I'm sorely tempted because the much lighter weight of the CRF230L/M appeals to be more than the extra hp of the new CRF250L. The carb is the deal killer, though, and the new bike is so much prettier. Would anybody but me buy a factory supermotard version of the CRF250L?
Point of Information:
I just did some work on my buddies '05 CRF230F. (non street legal version) I did all the free mods (jetting, needle position change, pulled snorkel, Pipe) and it runs great! I also did suspension at both ends ... Now THAT is money well spent.

Anyway ... I was riding my '07 Yam WR250F (not the R model) back to back with the CRF230 and to my surprise, the little Honda was not so bad!
The WR is quite a Hot rod by comparison with its FCR pumper carb and quick revving motor.
My WR is JD jetted, wire cut, air box open, stock pipe, baffle out. No ... the Honda is not as fast as the WR ... and won't loft the front as easily as the Yam, but honestly it is not a bad little bike ... and easily as fast as my previous XR250R. I was very pleasantly surprised. With the suspension work this little CRF can rip! Good woods trail bike for sure!

I see used CRF230's on Craig's list in the $2500 range, '04 to '08.
Most for sale seem to be X kids or X Wife bikes, guys out of work or divorced.

I'll wait and see on this new Honda.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #303
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Just north of Big D
Oddometer: 268
crf230m

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
I'm seeing brand new 2009 CRF230Ms for sale on Cycle Trader for $4000. I'm sorely tempted because the much lighter weight of the CRF230L/M appeals to be more than the extra hp of the new CRF250L. The carb is the deal killer, though, and the new bike is so much prettier. Would anybody but me buy a factory supermotard version of the CRF250L?
I would.


Got it brand new in Dallas for $3200. L version at same dealer was $4000. Threw on some Golden Boys and my wife loves it off road. Great low first gear, starts with a tap of starter. I did desmog and shim the needle. Need to mess with jets and mixture screw, there is a flat spot mid-throttle. Only thing that disappoints me is, I have not been able to find an aftermarket tank. I would love 3 gallons. It has been getting around 50-65 mpg, depending on how much I ride it , so 3 gallons would give it a nice range for mini-touring. This is still 230cc's, it just needs some love to bring it out.
__________________
13 KTM 350XCF-W -- new hotness
13 KTM 250XCF-W -- hers
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #304
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Just north of Big D
Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post

Given the choice I would rather just buy and plug in an EFI tuning gizmo. Look at the KTM's and Husabergs. There are already off the shelf kits for a couple of hundred dollars that not only remap and correct but give you switchable mapping. That is our future. One that I am ready to embrace. Just not on an overweight, underpowered 250.
Afraid its not that simple anymore. My new 500EXC supposedly has a locked ecm. No plug and play map switch. There is a tuner out there that adjusts the fuel, but not the ignition. Only the off-road only bikes have open ecm for different maps. Thank California.
__________________
13 KTM 350XCF-W -- new hotness
13 KTM 250XCF-W -- hers
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #305
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state
 
HighwayChile's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Bow, WA USA
Oddometer: 4,279
here is a12 part or so series on modding a CRF230 by super hunky
http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbik...oject1583.html
it takes some poking around to find the whole bloody series, but fork swap etc its all there.
__________________
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. .....Steve McQueen
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:46 AM   #306
Manzek
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Manzek's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Rome
Oddometer: 231
The Honda CRF250L will be issued in Italy/Europe until summer 2012. Here a pre-test

http://www.motociclismo.it/honda-crf...nza-moto-51345

__________________

Manzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #307
Manzek
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Manzek's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Rome
Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Any info on the European price?

I hope it will be around 4000-4500 witch, for me, is enough to forget WR250R that costs +6500.
It's not oficially issued yet, but first feelings say less than 4500

__________________

Manzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #308
Precis
Maladroit malcontent
 
Precis's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lumpy part of Victoria
Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Point of Information:
I just did some work on my buddies '05 CRF230F. (non street legal version) I did all the free mods (jetting, needle position change, pulled snorkel, Pipe) and it runs great! I also did suspension at both ends ... Now THAT is money well spent.

Anyway ... I was riding my '07 Yam WR250F (not the R model) back to back with the CRF230 and to my surprise, the little Honda was not so bad!
The WR is quite a Hot rod by comparison with its FCR pumper carb and quick revving motor.
My WR is JD jetted, wire cut, air box open, stock pipe, baffle out. No ... the Honda is not as fast as the WR ... and won't loft the front as easily as the Yam, but honestly it is not a bad little bike ... and easily as fast as my previous XR250R. I was very pleasantly surprised. With the suspension work this little CRF can rip! Good woods trail bike for sure!

I see used CRF230's on Craig's list in the $2500 range, '04 to '08.
Most for sale seem to be X kids or X Wife bikes, guys out of work or divorced.

I'll wait and see on this new Honda.
+1 on the CRF230: I rode the wheels off mine and it never let me down. Bogged it past the axles, horizontal-parked it a few times, ripped knobs off on rocks - never a moment's strife apart from a battery that died of old age. Fuel range? I was always a sweating bowl of jelly before it ever ran on reserve.
I only sold it to get something street-legal and am now looking for a DRz400 or possibly a Yam 250 - but this new Honda is worth waiting for: at least I won't need to buy a blue shirt!
__________________
"I would like to die on Mars; just not on impact." Elon Musk
Precis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #309
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer
 
byron555's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Oddometer: 1,121
Fuel injected 250

I have a WR250r... The bike is fantastic. Fuel injection is a big part of the equation. It is a true dual sport in my opinion. It handles trails really well and it can do 70 mph on the interstate all day long. The ergo's are so much better than my old xr650l and vibes much less, that I find myself riding it way more. It is better in the city too, however I do miss the torque, and that is it really... I usually put on 1500 to 3000 miles a year (trips and commuting in Wisconsin), so far I have put 1000 miles on the WR in one month.... and the riding season has not even really started yet.

I would love to see Honda bring out this new dual sport to the states, so it weights a bit more than the yamaha... whats 15 lbs anyway. These new Japanese 250 dual sports are looking to be the best true dual sports ever... Competent on and off road with little maintenance.

Ktms are fine... different beast though
__________________
Another inmate stole my Avatar...
WR250R... 15 cubic inches of raw power.
WRr re-build
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #310
ramz
Professional Trail Rider
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salida, CO
Oddometer: 1,963
I finally dug up enough information to make a comparo page between the WR250R and the CRF250L:
http://rickramsey.net/WR250RvsCRF250L.htm
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #311
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer
 
G19Tony's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: KLAS
Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I finally dug up enough information to make a comparo page between the WR250R and the CRF250L:
http://rickramsey.net/WR250RvsCRF250L.htm
Very nice. Thanks.
__________________
BMW F800GT, Hodaka Dirt Squirt, Honda CL70, Honda CT70, Honda Grom.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #312
gyroforce
on the run
 
gyroforce's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: the old world
Oddometer: 136
It will cost 3990 EUR plus dealership fees in Germany. I'd say both CRF and CBR 250 are good deals, considering the local market conditions.

GW250 -- "less than 4000 EUR"
CRF250L -- 3990 EUR
CBR250R -- 4490 EUR (has ABS)
Ninja250 -- 4990 EUR
KLX250 -- 5095 EUR
WR250R -- 6850 EUR
WR250X -- 7050 EUR

Source (German)
http://newsticker.sueddeutsche.de/list/id/1313065
__________________


gyroforce screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 03:58 PM
gyroforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #313
Sharan
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Jarvis Bay, Australia
Oddometer: 64
Wouldn't that be the so called special offer introductory price?

Honda in Australia announced that it will be launched here with an introductory price of $5,990 (AUD). I'd think that when the honeymoon is over Honda will jack up the price close to $6,900 which is what 2012 Kawasaki KLX-250S and Suzuki DRZ-250 sell for. WR-250R is still insane $11,800. . The local Yammy dealer doesn't even stock WRR's, he could not sell the one he had for 18 months. I wonder why.

Anyway, I just bought a mint 2011 KLX-250S with 2000 km on it for $4,000. I'll take much lighter, fully adjustable front and rear suspension, carburetted bike with tons of aftermarket farkles before heavier, basic suspension bike with EFI. I was postponing buying quarter litre bike because of this upcoming Honda, but when the specs became available, I decided to give it a miss. Might be cheapest of all four colors, but that wasn't my only criteria.

Off to KLX thread.

Sharan screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 05:39 PM Reason: typoes, grammer and spillin
Sharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #314
Imjonnymac
Skinner back
 
Imjonnymac's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Decatur, IL
Oddometer: 20
My local dealer told me today he should have one by June or July with a retail of under $4k.
Imjonnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #315
siyeh
Lawn Nazi
 
siyeh's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Evansville, Wisconsin
Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imjonnymac View Post
My local dealer told me today he should have one by June or July with a retail of under $4k.
yet two dealers in the Madison Wisconsin area had no clue this bike was even being built,,,,
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014