Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #496
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
Honda noticed that the WRR is an extremely tall motorcycle and raised the bar by lowering the bar.

In CA we pay usurious yearly fees for registration based on that heavy hit at the dealer, so we never stop paying for that extra $2k in upfront costs. Not only does the CRF250L keep more money in our pockets--it keeps more money out of the enemy's pockets. Advantage Honda.
Nice pun....sorry about CA being in your wallet all the time!!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #497
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Nice pun....sorry about CA being in your wallet all the time!!
CA is going to require the charcoal cannister and special one off vented gas tank too if the WRR/X is
any indication. That's going to add an extra charge onto every one sold in CA because we're "special".
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #498
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
CA is going to require the charcoal cannister and special one off vented gas tank too if the WRR/X is
any indication. That's going to add an extra charge onto every one sold in CA because we're "special".
Better you than me...in MI....but then again, it could be a 50 state cal...and we ALL get that junk hung on there
Old 06-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #499
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Now there you go...I think you will be very happy with the Honda. I'm thinking it will even be decently competent on some trails...just as long as they don't get too hairy. Man, this thread shows why manufacturers have such a hard time nailing down the DS trail bike category...and maybe why they don't want to get too heavily invested in it. I'm a dirt bike, off road guy who wants a bike that will do some pavement. Many others are pavement and dirt road guys/girls who want to occasionally do some medium dirt. And then there's the vast void between. Oh the humanity!
Medium dirt. You hit the nail on the head for me. There is plenty of that where I live. It can also get pretty technical quick. I wound up in those situations occasionally on my KLR250. I'm thinking this bike will handle the occasional hard stuff ok. I'm also sure there will be lot's of farkles on the way too.

I'm guessing Honda will sell all they can make. This bike would make a great supermoto too! Maybe with just a wheel change, I can do both.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #500
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Curb Weight 320 pounds
Curb weight (US English) or kerb weight (UK English) is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (e.g., motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.[1][2]
Thanks, 320lbs wet is still heavy. Another big red pig I guess.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #501
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Well, those who thing it's a BRP (Big Red Pig), consider this: I assume the CRF probably has the same battery as a WRR Yamaha...so if you get one of the new Shorai super light batteries, you can whack 4.07 pounds of ugly fat off it for $114.95...or for $159.95 you can put one in with about 40% more cold cranking amps to run all those accessories and only whack off 3.9#...Then, since you're gonna do it anyway, get an aftermarket exhaust that'll take off maybe 4 more pounds...you'll bring your BRP down to 312#.....then spend a few bucks at weight watchers....shazam...you're down to WRR weight....for a lot less than $2000.....and the puny CRF suspension will be happier too!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #502
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Man I get tired of people trashing suspensions as "cheap" etc. I have owned a pile of bikes and I am a fair rider and I have never reached the limit of any suspension on any bike. So I am forced to assume that either you are all hat or you are a rock hard fitness buff that is an awesome rider who simply cannot stomach a "average" suspension.

Most of the USA adventure guys don't meet those specs at all and don't want to.

If you are going third world so much changes its a different topic all together.

I have had the same discussion on my other thread "perfect adventure bike"

It isn't that it is so hard to please everybody...its that different bloggers can't stay on target regarding the subject and the goal. But then again it sounds pretty cool when you walk up to the microphone and beg for caviar when you ride like dog meat.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #503
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Don't know about "hybrid"...I just know my buddy's WRR main frame is aluminum...and ya know...I think the subframe is STEEL...unlike the wimpy frikkin aluminum subframe on my DRZ400S.....but that's another story
By hybrid I just mean some of it is steel and some of it is aluminum. Yamaha says on their site that the mainframe is aluminum and the downtubes are steel. Doesn't mention the rear subframe, but it sounds logical for it to be steel. Downtubes usually refer to the one or two frame members in front of the engine that come down from the steering head and join up at the rear swingarm or thereabouts.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #504
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, those who thing it's a BRP (Big Red Pig), consider this: I assume the CRF probably has the same battery as a WRR Yamaha...so if you get one of the new Shorai super light batteries, you can whack 4.07 pounds of ugly fat off it for $114.95...or for $159.95 you can put one in with about 40% more cold cranking amps to run all those accessories and only whack off 3.9#...Then, since you're gonna do it anyway, get an aftermarket exhaust that'll take off maybe 4 more pounds...you'll bring your BRP down to 312#.....then spend a few bucks at weight watchers....shazam...you're down to WRR weight....for a lot less than $2000.....and the puny CRF suspension will be happier too!
Does the CRF have the EXUP exhaust system like the WRR? If so you can drop the EXUP motor and shave another pound and a half if you go with an aftermarket exhaust. Take off the passenger pegs and you shave close to a pound.

Then you can add it all back on with a skid plate, barkbusters, pannier racks and a bigger gas tank!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #505
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Does the CRF have the EXUP exhaust system like the WRR? If so you can drop the EXUP motor and shave another pound and a half if you go with an aftermarket exhaust. Take off the passenger pegs and you shave close to a pound.

Then you can add it all back on with a skid plate, barkbusters, pannier racks and a bigger gas tank!
EXUP is a Yamaha patented and trademarked device, so you'll not see it on a Honda. I'll defer to other folks, but nothing like that shows up in any of the tech literature on the Honda. It does have catalyst, and Honda is unique in putting the exhaust gas oxygen sensor right in the exhaust port in the cylinder head. This SEEMS to indicate the engine management system runs closed loop off that sensor. There's no guarantee of that, since there are EFI bikes that have exhaust gas sensors in some countries and NOT in the usa. I have not looked closely at the CBR250R, which shares this engine to see if it has this sensor....maybe a look at the parts lists of the 2012 CBR250R is in order.

YES,, the CBR250R does have an exhaust sensor in the exhaust port of the cylinder head.

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 07:13 PM Reason: new info
Old 06-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #506
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 738
I love how people bitch and moan about the suspension when in reality it more than adequate for the task at hand. Think about it before USD forks and double adjustable shocks did bikes just ride on the road and around yards? I’m fairly sure they raced hare scrambles and motocross way back when bikes had 2 shocks in the back! They all must have been in first gear the whole time huh?

i still am a little mad its so heavy but hey look at it as motivation to not suck so much at riding so you don't have to pick it up as often.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #507
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
EXUP is a Yamaha patented and trademarked device, so you'll not see it on a Honda. I'll defer to other folks, but nothing like that shows up in any of the tech literature on the Honda. It does have catalyst, and Honda is unique in putting the exhaust gas oxygen sensor right in the exhaust port in the cylinder head. This SEEMS to indicate the engine management system runs closed loop off that sensor. There's no guarantee of that, since there are EFI bikes that have exhaust gas sensors in some countries and NOT in the usa. I have not looked closely at the CBR250R, which shares this engine to see if it has this sensor....maybe a look at the parts lists of the 2012 CBR250R is in order.

YES,, the CBR250R does have an exhaust sensor in the exhaust port of the cylinder head.

I believe the WRR/X's sold in Europe also have an oxygen sensor mounted in the exhaust header.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #508
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
I love how people bitch and moan about the suspension when in reality it more than adequate for the task at hand. Think about it before USD forks and double adjustable shocks did bikes just ride on the road and around yards? Im fairly sure they raced hare scrambles and motocross way back when bikes had 2 shocks in the back! They all must have been in first gear the whole time huh?

i still am a little mad its so heavy but hey look at it as motivation to not suck so much at riding so you don't have to pick it up as often.
I hear what you're saying, but justifying mediocrity by looking back and saying, "at least it's better than what we used to have", may not be very encouraging. And no, this Honda isn't that low on the totem pole of DS bikes, but they already have/had the CRF230L for mediocrity, and many of us were hoping for the more performance oriented...especially in better off roadability...bike that we knew Honda could build.

Yes, I sound like a broken record by now, but maybe that's because I keep responding to praises for this bike that also sound like a broken record. For those who say this bike will fill a niche for those who don't need/want a 200-300cc DS bike for their needs that is a more serious off road offering, I'd say you've had those bikes for many years in one form or another. The air-cooled XT series, the CRF230L, and others are all anyone in the category I describe could want, and provide it in a simpler, less complex package. But as I said in another post just above, it's a big field of users in this venue, and it's clear when even we don't agree on what will sell and be manufactured, how can we expect the manufacturers themselves to hit the mark exactly?
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #509
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 345
My 650 gets 45-50 mpg. That's nothing to complain about considering all the extra power you get at a 20lbs gain and 250+ mile range. I don't mind small engine bikes, like my 1982 XT125, which weighed 215 lbs, or my 1986 XR200, which weighed about 224, or my WR250F, which weighs 263, ALL far lighter and with the exception of the little XT, more offroad worthy. That much weight on an engine that small is inexcusable in 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloud View Post
and 3x the MPG (CRFL). (don't forget that little factoid.) and if I wanted a 650 I would buy one. I like small engine bikes.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #510
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 345
I believe that is dry weight. I read somewhere that wet and full tank is about 340. I know some people don't mind, but that's a 650 cc old air cooled thumper right there. An XR650L sounds better at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Hmmm...just get into town, pardner?

But seriously, I thought that was a wet weight?...isn't it?