Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #646
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by wohi View Post
The little Honda has finally landed in the heart of Europe.
Guess I'm one of the first proud owners here.

Here's my new baby:

Nicely done!
That bike would be a worthy edition to anyone's garage.
Ride it like you stole it.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #647
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I'm not bitching, just bummed. I don't need or want KTM specs, just something more comparable to the WRR. I have been a long time Honda fan and would love my next DS bike to be from them but unfortunately this bike won't be it (I had already planned to sell my current bike if the CRF would have been speced out more to what I want in a DS bike). I think it is a great bike with great sales appeal for those that want an entry level DS bike and Honda has hit the mark as far as price point. This bike will compete well against the KLX250 and the XT250. Chances are that I will either wind up with a WRR (which I don't really want) or keep my current bike.
many understand your pain. while others don't. i feel for both camps. i wish Honda still made bigbore air-cooled atvs so i could buy a brand new one and keep it for 30 years like all the old farmers around me. while at the same time i wish they would step into the 21st century on other things they market. like dual sports.

I won’t know if I want to give up my XT till I ride one.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #648
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,675
Bourne Bike

Think it is coincidence that Mother Honda timed the US release to coincide with the release of the new Bourne movie?
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #649
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Well I am officially bummed. I was sincerely hoping that this bike would be a competitor against the WR250r. This has been the first dual sport bike to get me exited in a long time and was going to be a replacement for my KLX300r. But man...Only 10 inches of ground clearance ? 320lbs ? 9.4 & 8.7 inches of suspension travel and no rebound/compression adjustment ?

Anyone know if they are planning to build a more off-road worthy version or is this it from Big Red ?
I don't get the whole weight issue either. Yamaha XT's and XR's in the early 80's where all about 225-230 pounds. Toss on 10-15 for E start because XT's DID have a battery and full lighting. Where the hell is the extra 100 lbs coming from?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #650
chozzer
Chozzer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
Chozzer,

Thanks for the ride report. How was the bikes weight? 320 seems like a lot for a 250, how does it carry the weight? Do you have any experiene on a dr650 or xr650l?

How is the hill climbing torque? Do you have to rev it to make power or can you power up the steep stuff?

What is the valve maintenance interval/procedure?

I was looking forward to this bikes release before I saw the weight, I'm not saying it is a deal breaker but......it definately causes a little more hesitation.
My compare is my ortther DP a F800GS which is probably 490lbs wet. Compared to that it feels well under half the weight.

Theres a lot of comment on the weight - I am sure a lot of it is they are building to a price. Yes a WR is lighter (not by that much) and has adjustable suspension, but its a LOT more expensive.

The CRF is a bike for a for the more occasional or less experienced off road rider. Honda have clearly decided that lack of fully adjustable suspension, super light weight or ground clearance is worth it to help them meet a 4500 dollar price target. We''ll see if the market agrees with them.

Its not a bike you have to scream the nuts off to get there - have not done really steep climbs but never felt lacking in power for the riding I do offroad.

The bike is what is - I don't get why people bemoan that - just buy the bike that does fit your price/spec preference.

I looked really closely at the WRR but didn't like the seat height, or the price. Was not a complicated choice. Both the Honda and Yamaha remain great bikes.
chozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #651
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Chozzer: A thoroughly rational assessment. Thanks
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #652
wohi
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Cool.

What is the price in Austria?
No white one in Europe for now?
Thanks.
Catalog price is EUR 4290.- here - got it for 3900.
White one is not available - just in "winning red" (but I would have gone for red anyway).
Old 08-04-2012, 03:37 AM   #653
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozzer View Post
My compare is my ortther DP a F800GS which is probably 490lbs wet. Compared to that it feels well under half the weight.

Theres a lot of comment on the weight - I am sure a lot of it is they are building to a price. Yes a WR is lighter (not by that much) and has adjustable suspension, but its a LOT more expensive.

The CRF is a bike for a for the more occasional or less experienced off road rider. Honda have clearly decided that lack of fully adjustable suspension, super light weight or ground clearance is worth it to help them meet a 4500 dollar price target. We''ll see if the market agrees with them.

Its not a bike you have to scream the nuts off to get there - have not done really steep climbs but never felt lacking in power for the riding I do offroad.

The bike is what is - I don't get why people bemoan that - just buy the bike that does fit your price/spec preference.

I looked really closely at the WRR but didn't like the seat height, or the price. Was not a complicated choice. Both the Honda and Yamaha remain great bikes.
Saw one in a dealers yesterday

Really poor build, cheap components

Not a patch on older XR's for build

Not impressed one bit

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #654
yyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
@McJamie

Nice looking bike! Can't wait to get mine here in Canada, soon I hope.
yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #655
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozzer View Post

Agreed, They are both great bikes and I applaud Honda for making a HUGE upgrade in their small dual sport line. Compared to a CRF230L or XR650L this bike is a technological wonder. Its not a KTM and I don't think it was ever supposed to be, so even if its a little heavy its still a great stride into the right direction and is serious contender for my money.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #656
xplodee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Just put a deposit on a CRF250L yesterday. I'm getting the first one my dealer gets and they're estimating 8/15. This is my first off road bike and the dual sport option at this price point and with showa suspension makes it right for me. Even if the suspension isn't adjustable, I know that showa is a great brand and I can always have the forks rebuilt to my spec later on. From my experience a rebuilt fork by a good company is often better than even a nice fork out of the box.

I can't wait until the aftermarket starts working on this bike because I would love a pipe and tuner.
xplodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #657
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
I am very interested in this new Honda. I've owned a fair number of Hondas over 51 years of riding. Wish I could have a new 1975 XL350 transprted to me in a time machine. Never should have traded that one in.
This new 250 (and the Yamaha XT250/TW200, the Kawasaki KLX250, the older Honda CRL230F, and the Suzuki .....wait, they don't make a smaller dual sport for the US market any more-the DR200 is gone) would be perfect for my general transportation and off road bike here near Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii. Main highway speeds of 50-55; lots of dirt and gravel roads; some very knarly off road riding on jagged lava rock, etc. Honda reliability, great gas mileage, and, as I recall from the CBR250, though they are double overhead cam engines, I think they have screw type adjusters, so no removing the cams and measuring and ordering shims. My nearest Honda dealer is 125 miles over in Kona.
This new bike looks like it'll priced at about TW200 prices too. Bikes are quite a bit more here, and many used bikes are way high priced from owners.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #658
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplodee View Post
Just put a deposit on a CRF250L yesterday. I'm getting the first one my dealer gets and they're estimating 8/15. This is my first off road bike and the dual sport option at this price point and with showa suspension makes it right for me. Even if the suspension isn't adjustable, I know that showa is a great brand and I can always have the forks rebuilt to my spec later on. From my experience a rebuilt fork by a good company is often better than even a nice fork out of the box.

I can't wait until the aftermarket starts working on this bike because I would love a pipe and tuner.

Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #659
xplodee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
A thread I found stating that this new owner (British guy in Thailand) likes his CRFL better than his KLX:

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-mot...AD-FEEDBACK%29
xplodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #660
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,971
Quote:
as I recall from the CBR250, though they are double overhead cam engines, I think they have screw type adjusters, so no removing the cams and measuring and ordering shims.
Sorry, it has shims.

Check it out:
http://rickramsey.net/CRF250L.htm
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote