Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #736
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
I see more than a few "haters" . I understand the WR is a "better'' bike in some respects , but there is a $2000 price disparity. I dont want to buy a 2008 WR for the same $4500 when I can get a brand new bike . I considered a TE250 , but rode a buddys and didnt like it , no power at all . Never been on a WR and dont care to pay the money for a 5 year old bike.For $2000 , you can personalize the crap out of it .
If the Husky is under powered for you I doubt the new Honda will work for ya?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #737
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcj7 View Post
For $2000 you probably wont be able to make the CRF as good as a WRR several have tried this with the KLX.
How much is the XT250? more in line with the CRF.
You can buy a Chevette and personalize 100K into it and it will never be a Corvette!
You do get what you pay for!
I agree and understand , but I am not a racer , I just want to ride trails and have a plated bike thats reliable and injected . I think that with a pipe , tuner and an air filter or airbox mod , this bike might be ok .I would love to hear feedback from some new owners.
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #738
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
I see more than a few "haters" . I understand the WR is a "better'' bike in some respects , but there is a $2000 price disparity. I dont want to buy a 2008 WR for the same $4500 when I can get a brand new bike . I considered a TE250 , but rode a buddys and didnt like it , no power at all . Never been on a WR and dont care to pay the money for a 5 year old bike.For $2000 , you can personalize the crap out of it .
Ya payz yur money fur what you want. Look at the two products and you will see why the Yamaha costs about as much as their race bikes. Chassis, swinger, details and freeway speed. The only complaint I have is that the WR wheelbase is so short! Seems like it should be about 2.5 inches longer. It has very nice components, though. I can't think of any stamped mild steel parts among the major components.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #739
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,438
KTM and Husky used to build all their engines off the same platform, the LC-4 was a 400, 540 and 620/640, the RFS a 250, 400, 450 and 520/525. Husky had TEs share a common engine in 250, 450 and 510cc. Honda and Yamaha missed the boart by not doing the same with their already portly DS 250s. Another 2-3 lbs to beef the cylinder to accept a 450 displacement would have been easy and allowed them to destroy all other Japanese DS bikes. They would be heavy compared to the KTMs and Huskys, GasGas, etc but could be the same price as the WR250r and CRF250s, or damn close.

I doubt they would have sold a single 250 if either was available as a +350cc bike. Yamaha sold their WRs but I recall leftovers at dealerships just languishing at discount prices.

Boat missed!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #740
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,390
Missed the boat!
What do you mean?

This world needs a aluminum framed,fuel injected,,,,,,CRF230.

The japs dont have enough heavy under powered scooters with fake knob's around now.

Yet again,coulda brought Honda back to the market,,,and failed.

Now i understand that not everyone wants a race bike,or a DS bike thats sexy and sprung right.
There is a need or market for the back road fart around bike.But shit,i think the japs got that covered.Did we really need another?XT225,XT250,WR250R,KLX250,KLR,DR200/650,DRZ,XRL,etc,etc.

Honda change'n the frame,and giving it FI,isnt even effort enough to pretend to care about Europe's plated dirt bike take over.Kinda like Yamaha's 300lb WR.

Not try'n to piss in anybodys corn flakes.Everyones got different tastes.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #741
xplodee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
you tube video with a TBR pipe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2h7gqTCKoA
xplodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #742
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,957
It is interesting to see people view Honda through the lens of what they want, as opposed to what will make a successful model in an awful market.

It would be great of the bike offered more performance at this same price, but that does not seem possible. As the CRF250 is spec'd now, my bet is that it will be a very strong seller, not just in the US, but globally. It will bring new people into the market, into ADV, and will grow what is a very soft market. I am shocked that they were able to bring ANY motorcycle to market for $4499. The product positioning may not appeal to performance customers, but it reminds me of the "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" positioning, which was enormously successful.

I have an MIC report from 2009 with rolling 12 month unit sales on the board in front of me. The #1 bike on that list was the KLR650. The #2 bike was the KTM 530. The KLR outsold the KTM 3.5 to 1.

In emerging markets like SE Asia, which are the ones that are growing, I suspect it will be a huge hit. I also think they will sell like hotcakes here. Despite what I want, and the protests, I really doubt that it would be more successful if it had a higher spec and price.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #743
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

How about if it had a higher displacement?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #744
y2todd
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Theres a dealer in Iowa that has one in stock. $4299 plus ttl. If I had my R1 sold I would be picking it up tommorow.
y2todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #745
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I am one of those who just wants a goood bike to ride off road. I don't need a bike that will blow others off the road. Just a good bike to ride some trails and the cdr and tat.

I understand the wrr is a better bike in many ways, but will it really be better than the crf 250l for what I need?
I have been looking for a nice, used, stock, 09 or 10. I have not found one like I want. Bunch of 08 at the same money as the Honda.

I have not made any offers yet, but I'm not to sure they would be accepted..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #746
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
I would like to see if CR250F suspension is a bolt on or near bolt on. If it does, these bikes will fly off the sales floor. A bigger available tank will eventually help too.
I bought the WR250X in May of 08 because I had a gut feeling that the bike was a real attempt at a dual sport/super moto and that the after market would come through. It did and I am really happy. The only thing I have left to do is the suspension and I WILL get it done.
I believe the aftermarket will step up to plate for this bike as well.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #747
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

If you are a sit down trail rider I don't think either would make any real difference. If you are a stand up and attack the trail rider either needs work to hold up or you will be on your head alot anyway. If you are the guy in between the extra weight will be noticable as the WR250r already feels like a leaden weighted pogo stick. I can't imagine Hondas even cheaper spec legs controlling even more weight can match it. Maybe?
Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #748
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
How about if it had a higher displacement?
That one, I don't really get. I am not sure why Yamaha did not build a 400 or 450 version of the WRR, the cost should be low and the DRz sales figures are good. It costs roughly the same to build a 250 as a 450, so bigger displacement is usually more profitable.

FWIW the "Dual" segment in the US is only about 50,000 units. "Off road" are 150,000 - 200,000.

I know that the tooling and development costs for new bikes are really burdensome. Unless a bike is going to be a hit, they lose money. The XRL and KLR are cash cows. I am betting the CRF will be also.

I know this bike is not for me, but it will be GREAT for the industry. Lots of new people getting into or back into motorcycling. There will be a huge amount of aftermarket support also.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #749
koh kood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
I am one of those who just wants a goood bike to ride off road. I don't need a bike that will blow others off the road. Just a good bike to ride some trails and the cdr and tat.

I understand the wrr is a better bike in many ways, but will it really be better than the crf 250l for what I need?
I have been looking for a nice, used, stock, 09 or 10. I have not found one like I want. Bunch of 08 at the same money as the Honda.

I have not made any offers yet, but I'm not to sure they would be accepted..
I've had CRF 250 L for a month now. Nice all round motorcycle for everything. Fuel injection is spot on and the suspension and power is good enough for me and what I do. It's sold at a great price and is good quality IMHO. It will be great when it gets to the US and Europe then maybe IMS or Acerbris will market a big tank for it. Too small right now. I'm 75 kilo and 1.73 metres tall, Fits me perfect. Even the seat is acceptable.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #750
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Stopped by a dealer to look at the WR250R to see if a vertically challenged individual at 5' 7 could put their toes down on that bike. None to be seen. Started some small talk with the salesperson about the new Honda. He said all three bikes expected in the next two months, (1) Aug, (2) Sept were sold. He then went on to say if this keeps up then a $500 market adjustment may be added. Really? lol