Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #856
xplodee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Bike is mine :) put 40miles on it, 5 putzing around in fields and doing a small hill over and over again. Remember, this is my first dirt bike. I love it! Ive had my fiancé on the back for 20 of those miles and it's so comfy!! I'm 5'8"-5'9" and it fits perfectly.

Pics and videos to come tomorrow.

T
xplodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #857
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,537
Why is the MSRP less than the 230L ?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #858
taranaki
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Honda will eat Kawasaki's lunch at this price point. The KLX250S should have shown with FI in NA/NZ/OZ but the penny pinchers prevailed.

Honda's pockets are deep enough to play such games and Kawasaki took their eyes off the ball.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #859
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
After calling around the past couple of weeks the only one I could find that wasn't spoken for was 100+ miles away. Same place I got a great deal on the VFR, Honda East in Maumee. Had them hold it and took delivery today. The plan was for a friend to assist hauling it back in his pickup but that fell through when he called this AM and said he was sorry but a family emergency came up. No problem I told him.

So the only option was was to ride it home. The weather was a little cooler than it has been but comfortable; 71 , partly cloudy with winds 10-15mph. After the trek to the dealership with my significant other we arrived at the dealership to find the place buzzing with patrons so it wasn't a quick in/out as I had hoped. Nevertheless the wait wasn't too bad.

0.2 miles on th odometer

Checking it out

Finally made the purchase and was on my way. Told the wife I was taking the scenic route on route 20 and to go ahead and take the turnpike and I'll see ya at home later. 20 is moastly two lane backroad with small towns along the way. A good breakin route with speeds ranging from 25 to 55 mph. And tons of traffic lights.

Not three miles from the dealership do I stop at a light and along side rolls up a fellow and his pretty rider on a FJR giving me the thumbs up on the new purchase. He asked how I liked it. Said so far so good I've only owned it for about 5 minutes

I haven't ridden anything similar in size to the CRF in a long time to compare it to but the street performance is about what you would expect. Brisk acceleration but not earth shattering. Comfortable at speeds up to 70. That's about the sweet spot. It will do more but feels like it's working too hard to be be up there for extended lengths of time. Now to find some off road stuff!

113 miles later I made it home

Old 08-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #860
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by taranaki View Post
Honda will eat Kawasaki's lunch at this price point. The KLX250S should have shown with FI in NA/NZ/OZ but the penny pinchers prevailed.

Honda's pockets are deep enough to play such games and Kawasaki took their eyes off the ball.
I think Kawasaki was focusing on the Ninja 250R... the new revamped model looks a bit sexier than Honda's CBR250R and has FI now so it should be a slight step up from the Honda. They probably sell more of the entry level sport bikes than these dual sports so Kawie probably spent their time and money there.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #861
xplodee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Some feedback, the seat sucks. I'd love better foam.
xplodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #862
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplodee View Post
Some feedback, the seat sucks. I'd love better foam.
The seat is a bit on the hard side. I pulled the strap off. I was sitting right on it.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #863
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
The seat is a bit on the hard side. I pulled the strap off. I was sitting right on it.

Agree on the hardness, I'm going to remove the strap also.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #864
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
what is the srrap for. i never understood
Old 08-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #865
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,171
Passenger grab strap. They were always junk, just toss it.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #866
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
seat strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Passenger grab strap. They were always junk, just toss it.
they are junk... but I was under the impression they were their for picking up the bike when you put it down???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #867
RED1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstehbens View Post
Please expand upon this frivolous innuendo... I want to know more

Thats all I was told at a meeting!
RED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #868
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
they are junk... but I was under the impression they were their for picking up the bike when you put it down???

You'll probably tear it off if you try that.

Under the fender to lift or get a tugger strap for that task.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #869
RED1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post

One is made in Japan and the other in Thailand sharing existing parts from a very popular roadbike, over 3000 sold in Australia, not counting USA, Canada, Europe, India, Thailand, etc.
RED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #870
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post
After calling around the past couple of weeks the only one I could find that wasn't spoken for was 100+ miles away. Same place I got a great deal on the VFR, Honda East in Maumee. Had them hold it and took delivery today. The plan was for a friend to assist hauling it back in his pickup but that fell through when he called this AM and said he was sorry but a family emergency came up. No problem I told him.

So the only option was was to ride it home. The weather was a little cooler than it has been but comfortable; 71 , partly cloudy with winds 10-15mph. After the trek to the dealership with my significant other we arrived at the dealership to find the place buzzing with patrons so it wasn't a quick in/out as I had hoped. Nevertheless the wait wasn't too bad.

0.2 miles on th odometer

Checking it out

Finally made the purchase and was on my way. Told the wife I was taking the scenic route on route 20 and to go ahead and take the turnpike and I'll see ya at home later. 20 is moastly two lane backroad with small towns along the way. A good breakin route with speeds ranging from 25 to 55 mph. And tons of traffic lights.

Not three miles from the dealership do I stop at a light and along side rolls up a fellow and his pretty rider on a FJR giving me the thumbs up on the new purchase. He asked how I liked it. Said so far so good I've only owned it for about 5 minutes

I haven't ridden anything similar in size to the CRF in a long time to compare it to but the street performance is about what you would expect. Brisk acceleration but not earth shattering. Comfortable at speeds up to 70. That's about the sweet spot. It will do more but feels like it's working too hard to be be up there for extended lengths of time. Now to find some off road stuff!

113 miles later I made it home

NICE!! congrats.