Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #106
Parigi
Hoinar

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I spoke to a Honda Canada rep at the January show in Toronto about this bike, and he said he had never heard of it. The Jan. show isn't a manufacturer's show, and he was just standing around a retailer's booth. Maybe he wasn't a guy who would know anyway, but it wasn't encouraging.
It was printed on their own Honda brochure.
To clarify my previous post, in the brochure it was written that the bike will be available in the summer of 2012 as an early 2013 release.
Parigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #107
dualsportride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
If the bike does make it to the U.S. and doesn't weight a lot it will be a fun bike with a few mods to make it peform well in the dirt. Only time will tell if it makes it here we can guess all we want.
dualsportride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #108
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudboogers View Post
So, expect a CRF650L to be forthcoming as well?

One can only beg/pray/plead/threaten/etc...
Thats the buzz but its supposed to be a 700 based engine. We can only hope.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #109
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
first part of this shows the bike on trails/dirt, about what you would expect
The one with the Bajillion dollars worth of bling looked Mo Betta
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #110
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB View Post
Why isn't it a 450????????
I think Honda, and most of the other manufacturers, are clearly focusing on markets outside of the US, where small bikes are popular. Take India for example, small bikes sell like hotcakes.... CBR250R.... Ninja 250R... all hot sellers there. They realize those markets are where the growth is, so they build bikes for those markets, and will probably still import them to the US to see if they sell.

It would be sweet to see a CFR650L or something like that though... the XR650L is an old design, and probably due for replacement.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #111
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
I think Honda, and most of the other manufacturers, are clearly focusing on markets outside of the US, where small bikes are popular. Take India for example, small bikes sell like hotcakes.... CBR250R.... Ninja 250R... all hot sellers there. They realize those markets are where the growth is, so they build bikes for those markets, and will probably still import them to the US to see if they sell.

It would be sweet to see a CFR650L or something like that though... the XR650L is an old design, and probably due for replacement.
i agree with that. in mexico it's the 125 class where all the action is.
it used to be that size in india, but as people are making more $, the 250 class is now the hot class.
it's no different on how our 1000+cc bikes get bigger in size only for most of the world it's 125 to 250cc shift.

it's just a mfg. shift in what people are buying (world-wide) & what sells the most, as the 450 is enormous in most places. the 450 dirtbikes will not go away as those are designed for wealthy nations but the dual-sports are gonna be great little 250 motors (or 650s for once again the wealthy nations).
yes honda builds/sells different bikes for different markets but this 250 seems to be a world-wide build like they do with the CRV. this is mexico http://www.honda.mx/motos/doble-proposito/
right now the FI 150 is the hot bike to buy if you have the $. my guess is this new 250 will replace both the 250 and maybe even the 400.

many have discovered with the wr250r how good & fun a 250 can be. ktm 450-500 and such are niche market bikes and don't represent what the world as a whole can afford to buy. whether we like it or not the meat of future dual-sport class bikes are gonna be 250 & 650 class thumpers.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 10:40 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #112
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
One thing Honda didn't seem to "learn" when researching the development of a bike like this.... the need for a larger fuel tank. Looks like this bike will have the standard 2 gallon tank that most of these dual sport bikes come with. It would be so nice if they'd go ahead and put a 3.5-4 gallon tank on them from the factory! This isn't a motocross bike, so why put such a small tank on it?!?!?
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #113
kuyaoli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
if the CRF250L would have been available a few years ago I would not have bought the CRF230L. Despite the fact that the CRF230L was a great little bike as mentioned earlier I used it also as a scooter with some dirt bike abilities, like off the pavement down the pavement and so. Since I was living in the Philippines for 5 years this was my daily commuter to work and go around. The quality of the CRF230L was far far above the local produced XR200, which started to rost after 6 month. The quality was really superior. But my CRF230L was build in Japan.

Since I moved to Thailand a few month ago I checked the availabilities of 250cc Dual Purpose bikes and the only one was the KLX250S FI which I bought. I am quite happy with that bike. But if the CRF250L would have been available I would have probably be bought the CRF. Never mind about the price difference, the KLX is priced around 4,850 USD. The CBR250 is only priced at around 3,800 USD. And I guess the CRF250 will be close to that price in Thailand.

As I heard the CRF250L is mainly produced for the Asian market. So if the bike will be available in the US or not and if - when is a big question.

Another thing why I think my choice of the KLX was the right one for now is that the CRF250 is a brandnew bike and it may hard to get some aftermarket accessories like a saddle, a rear rack or a muffler for it. And that is all available for the KLX.

So for now I think I am ok, evenso I always loved my little red one's from Honda. Also I could not resist having a red one again...

and of course for the KLX I was able to get a great comfortable Sargent seat and a great rear rack...

much better then the small original saddle

big difference

kuyaoli screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 09:54 PM
kuyaoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #114
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
I'm confident we'll see it here in Oz, been seeing those new CBR250R's everywhere lately.
Llamaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #115
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,714
It looks like most of the new models are on the honda website, but so far not the 250L
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #116
Adz450
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatetokil View Post
Why is is that all the Jap manufacturers feel the need to weigh down their MX bikes for on road use? Any moron with an ebay account could dualsport a factory MX bike with less than 25lbs of added stuff. Yamakawahondazuki can't figure this one out?
Yeah they suck at making WR's Klx's CrfX's especially the DR's man they are the heaviest and can't even call themselves a MXer what are they thinking in Japan? The world is full of motorcycling Morons everywhere on ebay, but when they log off... they go outside filling the atmosphere with CO2.. and spend hours doing stuff knows what. Drives me nutz
Adz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #117
Adz450
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
The styling is even a bit like the road Cbr250 mini VFR1200 lookalike. I kinda like that design similarity..
Adz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #118
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaoli View Post
the KLX250S FI which I bought. I am quite happy with that bike.
Nice bike. I wish we could buy the KLX250S with FI. Would be nice to have the WR250R, CRF250L and KLX250S FI to choose from. Right now, we only get the blue bike.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #119
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
An upgrade from the DR350

Says who? The DR at least weighed less than 300lb curb, and could run both dirt and highway on the same sprockets. It was also simple.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #120
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Kuyaoli did you find that seat in BKK? I'm currently in Chang Mai on a trip thru SE Asia and would love to swap seats!

Rick
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote