Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #121
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Says who? The DR at least weighed less than 300lb curb, and could run both dirt and highway on the same sprockets. It was also simple.
I knew someone would get there panties in a knot when I wrote that.

Suzuki seems to think it is, that could explain why they replaced the DR350 with the DRZ400.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE .
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #122
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I knew someone would get there panties in a knot when I wrote that.

Suzuki seems to think it is, that could explain why they replaced the DR350 with the DRZ400.
If I recall correctly the DRZ400 was originally designed as an enduro bike but they missed the boat as far as technology goes
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #123
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 426
That was a neat video, but I still don't see what the CRF250L will do that my CRF230L won't. I know, it's a more powerful bike, but both bikes really are meant for somewhat leisurely trail riding, not enduros/hare scrambles, etc. The fuel injection is a nice addition, especially for riding at altitude.

The real question is, have they updated the suspension to be at least as good as the KLX... without making the bike much taller. And, is it still the lightest 250cc dual sport?
ObiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #124
kuyaoli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Kuyaoli did you find that seat in BKK? I'm currently in Chang Mai on a trip thru SE Asia and would love to swap seats!

Rick
no I ordered it from Sargent Dealer in Singapore, but he ordered it from US and it took a long time, Another KLX rider in Phuket ordered it directly from US and got it in just one week.

He wrote this:

Got it from solomotoparts.com usa & it turned up in 7 days flat from pulling the paypal trigger!!! The guys at solo are very good. They put a value of $70 on the outside shipping invoice stuck to the box by recorded USPS & got a 600thb tax bill to pay at post office.....I was pleased with that!!

I'm lucky to have a very relaxed local post office, 8 times out of 10 stuff just gets delivered to my office with no tax to pay.

That sounds good. I would also order it from them, because I did pay much more taxes.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #125
skywalker714
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I want this bike.

This is just a foo foo bike and I want it. Having owned over 50 bikes in my 40 years of riding I need this bike to add to the stable. Yes I know it is heavy and slow, but it takes me back to just the fun of going for a ride and not having to be concerned on how trick or fast it is, Remember that favorite section of trail that you played roger d. on your sl70 and cannot wait to go back to ride again. These are entry level bikes to help people get into riding. If you want a race bike buy one. Why is everyone always complaining about bikes before they are even here? Companies for the most part sell bikes made for the masses. If you want a superbike for your discipline just pull out the leather and give your
parts guy your visa card. I have done this many times. O.K. I will buy two if a 700 is also comes with it.

skywalker714 screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 08:10 AM Reason: grammer
skywalker714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #126
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
This is my favorite dark-horse bike also. We already know it has a great engine with roller cam followers, fuel injection, and 6-speed transmission. IMO, it betters the WR250X engine because the Honda has a more sophisticated and efficient closed-circuit FI, and it runs on regular gasoline.

Everything else is speculation. It's entirely possible that the CRF250L may weigh very close to the WR250. It's also entirely possible that the price may be <$5k. Will the suspension be any good? I suppose we have to wait to get all the answers, but man--it's been a long wait!
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #127
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
I still don't see what the CRF250L will do that my CRF230L won't.
Street legal in 50 states and across Canada would be the most obvious difference.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #128
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Street legal in 50 states and across Canada would be the most obvious difference.
?
the 230L is street legal.

differences that are obvious are modern FI engine & quality suspension/usd (we hope) plus and updated frame. the 230L was just a slapped together street legal version of the off-road 230...which wasn't much to write home about to start with. honda would have impressed much more with a street legal crf250x back then. in 08 yamaha came out with the wr250r as the benchmark and the 230 was honda's answer. needless to say no one was impressed compared to the wrr. it was one of the many wtf honda? moments they've given us in the last 10yrs.

i think honda has a winner here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #129
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
I had the 230L and put 7000 miles on it before I sold it to feed my f800gs addiction. I took it on everything from single track to short runs on I80.
That said, I miss having a bike I can handle on the rocky single track we have around here. If this bike comes in close to 4000 I will most likely have one.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #130
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
...Will the suspension be any good? ...
Given that we are talking about a Honda dual sport, I assume that is a rhetorical question.

It is nice to see Honda maybe giving Yamaha a little competition for 250 dual sports like they did in the 70's and 80's. God knows Honda has stuck with 1980's technology for long enough.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 02-17-2012 at 05:49 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #131
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
?
the 230L is street legal.

differences that are obvious are modern FI engine & quality suspension/usd (we hope) plus and updated frame. the 230L was just a slapped together street legal version of the off-road 230...which wasn't much to write home about to start with. honda would have impressed much more with a street legal crf250x back then. in 08 yamaha came out with the wr250r as the benchmark and the 230 was honda's answer. needless to say no one was impressed compared to the wrr. it was one of the many wtf honda? moments they've given us in the last 10yrs.

i think honda has a winner here.
Sorry ObiJohn and Eakins, right you are. Didn't read well.

I'm expecting, compared to the 230L - 50% more power (14 or 15 to 21 or 22HP), FI, better suspension, hopefully a direct competitor to the WR250R with a slightly lower seat height.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #132
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 992
My baseless speculation...

Here's my mostly baseless speculation...

I've been "stuck" in Thailand for the past 3 weeks and Honda seems all geared up to release it. Adds/pictures are everywhere, rental companies are being prepped etc.

I've been riding my KLX 250 turned 351 with many of the CBR250's. Compared to my 250/351 my thoughts are;

- the CRB250 engine seems really smooth
- the CBR engine definitely has more hp than the stock 250 but probably not as much as my 351 w/pipe and pumper carb
- torque isn't really impressive - not as important for a streetbike of course.

I quizzed some rental shops on the CBR250;
- none had had a single mechanical problem though they are new and the highest mileage was 30k km. THIS is a massively important category totally ignored by Western magazines. For poorer Asians motorcycles are not luxury/hobby items for guys with disposible income. They are fun yes, but they are also bread and butter transportation vehicles. Many for people who want a car but can't afford one. My tangent soapbox here is I hope with the economic tough times Western countries who can afford "cool" bikes will start demanding reliability in their products. They wont put up with crap like a KTM 690 (Mine 3 engines, 9 fuel pumps in 25k miles. Few people on the planet that can fix it when things go wrong and deceptive advertising like the Parris Dakar where factory riders have carbs, 3 engines and the best mechanics who are THERE - AT the rally and not available to work on YOUR bike).
- riding it along side the old, but extremely popular Kawasaki Ninja 250 the Ninja pulls better on the bottom but the CBR probably takes in on top. That's actually quite impressive as the Ninja twin is an amazing engine.

Of course none of this means anything because how do I know the engine will be the same as in the CBR250.

- It does look shorter than both the WRR and KLX; I can't imagine it being as good off road thats just random thoughts based on pictures!
- At the same time I imagine it being extremely comfortable on the road based on how smooth the CBR engine is.

Put some really sucky, long lasting tires on it and I bet you seriously would have a money saving, economical commuter vehicle.

Sorry about the KTM rant!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #133
Sharan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I subscribed to this thread. I've read every single post in WR250R colossal thread. I like what I see, WRR would fit my bill perfect apart from one minor thing - Yamaha put some insane price on it here. Last time I checked my local Yammy dealer is asking $11,500(AU) for 2011 model. WTF?

Come on, aussie dollar is stronger than US$, who in would buy a 250cc bike in USA for such a money? The 4 year old bashed up WRR's are still going from $5,500 - $7,500 - helluva lot of coin for second hand bike in my book.

And so I'm really, really keen to see the specs and price of this new Honda once it reaches our shores. Few ponies less, few kilos more than than WRR will not faze me, lets just hope that Honda will price it right.
Sharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #134
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,515
Yep, I would have gone for the WRr except for it being nearly double the price of a new KLX when I was looking (could be a slight exaggeration).

I just hope Honda is a bit more sensible about pricing.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE .
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #135
Toshito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Saw one in Montreal

I was at the Motorcycle Show in Montreal today and there was a CRF250L at the Honda booth. I asked questions but they said that they received it just a couple of weeks ago and didn't have any specs yet.

Price was said to be about 5000$.

I asked him why it was more expensive than the CBR, and he said that it was because of the "advanced motocross suspension"...

It looks real good in person, all components looks top notch and fit and finish is great. It kinda looked bigger than I expected.

It was behind a fence so we could not sit on it (they let us sit on the 20,000$ goldwing but not on the cheap dual sport?)

Now, anybody want a slightly used 2008 XT250?
Toshito is offline   Reply With Quote