Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #1471
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennius View Post
Thanks Joe! Need to change my break-in oil so snapping the numbers on the bags helps with ordering as the filters are hard to find locally as of now. Is that the drain-plug washer as well?

Cheers!

Glenn.
Glenn,

Correct, you can reuse the original though with no issues as well.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #1472
Red_dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
I think I know the answer to this question but does the CRF250L have a plastic gas tank? Does anyone know if the yamaha 250 and kawasaki 250 dual sports have plastic tanks? I assume that the street legal KTMs have plastic tanks. Just asking because the subject was brought up in another thread and I have heard in the past that plastic tanks were not (technically) legal for street use. I am sure they have developed a plastic that is "safe" now and I am assuming if the OEM are fitting them then they are legal.

they are NOT metal. they're plastic. have been plastic since the XR250R. ffs...special fuel safe plastic.
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #1473
Red_dog
Adventurer

Toolkit as supplied with Aust bikes.

24mm, 19mm, 15mm, 12mm, 10mm, double ended screwdriver, fuse puller, universal jointed sparkplug socket, plus an extra sparkplug socket.

the air filter snorkel.

Air Filter snorkel removed. (its rubber, it just pulls out)

the front of the Air Filter

Back of the air filter (flash back screen is stainless steel)

Exhaust endcap fasteners (small allen key bolts) be careful with them as i have already stripped one out, and am considering replacing em with hex head jobs.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #1474
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog View Post
they are NOT metal. they're plastic. have been plastic since the XR250R. ffs...special fuel safe plastic.
My 2013 Honda crf 250 L has a metal gas tank. I don't think a magnet sticks to plastic
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #1475
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
My 2013 Honda crf 250 L has a metal gas tank. I don't think a magnet sticks to plastic

Quote:
Metal here in NA, are you saying it's plastic on the bikes in OZ ?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #1476
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Sorry...WRONG! CRF250L tank is metal....saw, touched and poked the CRF at the dealer. Yes, KTM's have plastic tanks and somehow they make it pass the Federal tests for evaporative emissions.

BUT....having made numerous vehicles "street legal" in Michigan, plastic aftermarket tanks never get a second look. Law enforcement is interested in making sure the lisence, insurance, and frame serial numbers match up. On the rare occasion you might get a law enforcement person who can identify a DOT legal knobby tire.

REDDOG: "Exhaust endcap fasteners (small allen key bolts) be careful with them as i have already stripped one out, and am considering replacing em with hex head jobs."...if you get them out without stripping the THREADS, reinstall them with anti sieze bolt compound....that was a constant pain in the ass on the little M6's that held in the muffler insert on my XR400R

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 11:27 AM
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #1477
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,820
FWIW , DGY powersports in Downers Grove IL has a CRF250L in stock.
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #1478
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
Yup. My old Nelson-Rigg magnetic tank bag lives on my metal CRFL gas tank.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #1479
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Can you take a picture of bag installed? My seat of the pants seems to tell me decent sized tank bags to appropriately fit the CRF are far and few between.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #1480
Red_dog
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Sorry...WRONG! CRF250L tank is metal....saw, touched and poked the CRF at the dealer. Yes, KTM's have plastic tanks and somehow they make it pass the Federal tests for evaporative emissions.

REDDOG: "Exhaust endcap fasteners (small allen key bolts) be careful with them as i have already stripped one out, and am considering replacing em with hex head jobs."...if you get them out without stripping the THREADS, reinstall them with anti sieze bolt compound....that was a constant pain in the ass on the little M6's that held in the muffler insert

Mine as you can clearly see in the pic, is plastic...my XR250R (04) was plastic...only ones i know of that are steel, are the early XR's/XL's and some early Yammies...i meant stripped the allen key holey thing. burred it over. had to drill it out (on a week old bike, keen eh?). need to offload this flippin can, my XR wasnt nearly as big as this thing..i did go for a bit of a blast without the airbox snorkel in, gets a bit of a roar happening, definitely no bogging down, and bettter throttle response, but it does idle a smidge rough (can hardly feel it).
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #1481
Red_dog
Adventurer

plastic 7.7L tank.

get 90mpg (65L/km) and thats with one bar left on the fuel guage. bout 159.5km and 5.2L to go in.

dunno really wot Honda was thinking with those pissweak 6mm Metric bolts with Allen key heads. nearly thought i'd break my Allen key! and uhhh wots an EVAP Container? cuz i dont think ive got one (like a charcoal canister?).
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #1482
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Red-Dog....let me apologize RE: steel vs plastic. Steel here in USA. Evap refers to carbon canister crap....didn't see it on the US model I saw....but it might be buried somewhere on the bike, unlike the mess of hoses, brackets and cans that made up the vapor mess on my Husky TE610, hung off the side of the engine.

Glad you got those cheap allen "button heads" out. The local hardware here sells 8.8 and 10.9 grade hex head metrics with the built in washer....most with a 8mm hex.....but they still need antisieze whern installed on the hot exhaust
Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #1483
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

plastic 7.7L tank.

get 90mpg (65L/km) and thats with one bar left on the fuel guage. bout 159.5km and 5.2L to go in.

dunno really wot Honda was thinking with those pissweak 6mm Metric bolts with Allen key heads. nearly thought i'd break my Allen key! and uhhh wots an EVAP Container? cuz i dont think ive got one (like a charcoal canister?).

Here's the evap on the US bikes.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #1484
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
plastic 7.7L tank.
I wonder how much it weighs...

I wonder how much it costs...

I wonder if I can get one shipped from OZ to the US...
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #1485
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Well, ya gotta give Honda an A+ cramming all that SxxT in there!!....but looks like a couple of pounds of weight to loose!