Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #46
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
They actually used the Tubeliss inner tube in the rear and a bicycle tube in the front. The idea was just to be able to adjust the feel and extend the use of the mousse when it becomes soft. The tubes should be as thin as possible otherwise you'll not be able to fit it with a new mousse. I have a feeling that it would be quite a mission in any case.
Thanks for that info
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #47
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,261
Thinking of pulling the trigger on the new Mefo Big Mousse for the front of my 570 Berg....getting tired of the flats....2 last week alone inside 15 miles....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #48
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,880
I'm convinced. I just ordered 2 MOM21s for the fronts on my CRF230F and WR250R. Working on the correct sizes for the rear Pirelli MT43 and IRC 4.00-18 TR11 trials tires. I'll do winter shakedown testing and be ready to roll next spring - no more tubes and attendant tire changing tools and pump, saving about 10-12 pounds on the WRR.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #49
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Thinking of pulling the trigger on the new Mefo Big Mousse for the front of my 570 Berg....getting tired of the flats....2 last week alone inside 15 miles....
Go for it! let us know how it goes, and posts some pics... Im thinking of going with the Mefo Big Mousse on the front too for our trip...
Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #50
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I'm convinced. I just ordered 2 MOM21s for the fronts on my CRF230F and WR250R. Working on the correct sizes for the rear Pirelli MT43 and IRC 4.00-18 TR11 trials tires. I'll do winter shakedown testing and be ready to roll next spring - no more tubes and attendant tire changing tools and pump, saving about 10-12 pounds on the WRR.
Let me know how the rear situation works out, I was under the impression that mousses didnt fit the tall side wall of the trials type tires... Im really pumped that more and more people are trying mousse, I think savings in hassle and tools is going to be worth it.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #51
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,698
If it's helpful, I did a post on changing mousses some months ago, starting with post 465 in this thread.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #52
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
If it's helpful, I did a post on changing mousses some months ago, starting with post 465 in this thread.
so helpful that I just became a sponsor for your Dakar campaign....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #53
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest View Post

We will have a "support guy" with backup spares etc, who will be able to helicopter us spares in an emergency, he will be camped at one end of the trail. This scenario is obviously very expensive since it's in a remote part of northern Canada, but we simply do .
Did I jsut read this right. You will have spare helicoptered in. What kind of ride, support and wallet do you have going on.

I am on page 50 or so of the BAM ride, adn he toasted his rear mousse and has needed a new one.

If you have heli support fuck the mousse and jsut use heavy duty tubes and a rim lock. Esspeically if you are only riding 250s. When you got a flat call in the bird and the mechainc and keep riding till they catch up with you.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #54
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Did I jsut read this right. You will have spare helicoptered in. What kind of ride, support and wallet do you have going on.

I am on page 50 or so of the BAM ride, adn he toasted his rear mousse and has needed a new one.

If you have heli support fuck the mousse and jsut use heavy duty tubes and a rim lock. Esspeically if you are only riding 250s. When you got a flat call in the bird and the mechainc and keep riding till they catch up with you.
Not exactly, I think you got the wrong impression. We do not own a helicoper or have a bunch of money to burn. The kinda of ride we are going on is nothing like the BAM road or any other trail you might think of. It is a 3 part trip, the 2nd. Part being the difficult one. It is approx 600km of unsupported land to cross in the subartic of Canada which include crossing over the continental divide. I say "land" and not "trail" because a significant portion of that 600km no longer has any distinguishable trail remaining due to rock slides, bogs and rivers... There is no one up there to help us if we get stuck, hurt, or have a mechanical failure. No one has ever made it through unsupported without a fuel/food drop via bush plane or helicopter. That being said we are attempting to be the first to do this unsupported. This means we have no intention of using a helicopter, however in an emergency(broken bones etc) we have no choice but to pull out the visa and make a call on the satellite phone for help. I truly believe that a mousse will work in our trip and fully plan on using them. If you would like to know more about our trip feel free to visit us in the Canada regional forum under "the ultimate Canol thread". On that note, I'll stop my own highjack... Back to regular programing

windquest screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 02:20 PM
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #55
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 948
http://www.mefo-shop.de/Reifen/Mousse/

Some dimensions to choose from here.
Now which mousse-tyre combo should I choose for my 690RR for dual sporting?
I don't like the Michelin Desert tyres on the tar ( too slippery rubber when wet ) and don't ride hard competitive style, but rather conservatory and moderate gravel-touring speeds - depending on how bad, fast mates I ride with

Let's just say we do medium to long transport liaisons on tarmac and topping it off with moderate level gravel roads - nada pure offroad. Just some odd greenlaning and tractor roads, wood roads etc.
2008 KTM 690 RR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #56
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
Let's just say we do medium to long transport liaisons on tarmac and topping it off with moderate level gravel roads - nada pure offroad. Just some odd greenlaning and tractor roads, wood roads etc.
You are making me cry. Why not sell the 690RR and get a GS for that stuff?
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #57
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Well, that's nobody elses biznezz. And since I already own an F800GS
2008 KTM 690 RR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 02-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #58
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

... I simply use whichever bike fits that day's moods!
2008 KTM 690 RR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #59
Arrowsmith
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Question Question?

I have a question ....

I might be all washed up on this, but maybe you can help me out:

Would it be right to assume that with a big dual sport (say...a 690 KTM or maybe a 570 Berg) that seems some highway miles, one could use a tire mousse up front and just stay with a regular good old fashioned heavy duty tube out back (no mousse)?

Thoughts?

Thanks folks. Great site. Great knowledge base too.

Arrowsmith
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #60
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 6,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
I have a question ....

I might be all washed up on this, but maybe you can help me out:

Would it be right to assume that with a big dual sport (say...a 690 KTM or maybe a 570 Berg) that seems some highway miles, one could use a tire mousse up front and just stay with a regular good old fashioned heavy duty tube out back (no mousse)?

Thoughts?

Thanks folks. Great site. Great knowledge base too.

Arrowsmith
Which end do you puncture more often?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote