User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
mopulga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
La Balsa Border crossing yesterday, road to Chachapoyas today

I know that there are a few travelers behind me in Ecuador that might benefit from this.

Road from Vilcabamba goes ok for about 20 km and then turns into dirt. Most areas ok, but a few areas with deep(ish) mud. Fun experience after being in Ecuador's mostly paved land.

Reached the border at 11am crossing after leaving Vilcabamba at 8am.

Contrary to most reports, the border people were there and working until 1230ish. No problems crossing the border at that time.

Road from La Balsa to San Ignacio was good. I recommend staying the night in San Ignacio as mentioned also in a few reports. Try not to spend the night in Jaen. Locals report sketchy muggings of travelers there.

Get up early the next morning and cross the San Ignacio construction zone prior to 730am.

Be careful of high speed and the water troughs in Peru. A couple put me airborne for a bit. In wet conditions, since these are dirt filled, it could become too much adventure for anyone to handle.

Also - dont travel at night in this area. Lots of rocks and dirt in the turns that would be very difficult to see and manage through.

Tomorrow I head to see the ruins of Kuelap. All I have read point to be a marvelous experience - specially after the rain here.

In Chachapoyas it is possible to buy temporary SOAT as well. From the plaza head down the hill and ask for SOAT. The man there sells them for 97.50 soles per month.

Hope this is helpful

i
mopulga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,935
That road from Vilcabamba to La Bolsa was under construction when I was there in 2010. Nice to see they're making progress.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
BobinBahia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopulga View Post
I know that there are a few travelers behind me in Ecuador that might benefit from this.

Road from Vilcabamba goes ok for about 20 km and then turns into dirt. Most areas ok, but a few areas with deep(ish) mud. Fun experience after being in Ecuador's mostly paved land.

Reached the border at 11am crossing after leaving Vilcabamba at 8am.

Contrary to most reports, the border people were there and working until 1230ish. No problems crossing the border at that time.

Road from La Balsa to San Ignacio was good. I recommend staying the night in San Ignacio as mentioned also in a few reports. Try not to spend the night in Jaen. Locals report sketchy muggings of travelers there.

Get up early the next morning and cross the San Ignacio construction zone prior to 730am.

Be careful of high speed and the water troughs in Peru. A couple put me airborne for a bit. In wet conditions, since these are dirt filled, it could become too much adventure for anyone to handle.

Also - dont travel at night in this area. Lots of rocks and dirt in the turns that would be very difficult to see and manage through.

Tomorrow I head to see the ruins of Kuelap. All I have read point to be a marvelous experience - specially after the rain here.

In Chachapoyas it is possible to buy temporary SOAT as well. From the plaza head down the hill and ask for SOAT. The man there sells them for 97.50 soles per month.

Hope this is helpful

i
Check Bagua Grande along the river deep in the canyon as far as Pedro Ruiz. Wonderful, stop for fresh caught trout 1/2 along the river. Liked Kuelop a lot. These things are subjective, depend heavily on the passion and understanding of the guide (without one you "get" maybe 5%). Still I preferred Chavín de Huantar, MP (go early to avoid crowds!) and "Sexywoman" 10' from Cusco.

Don't miss "Chacha" pastoral river ride to Lemybamba, museum for much more than the mummies, and the most awe inspiring drops I've seen so far in Peru Lemybamba to Celendin.