Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,087
Help - Moto Problem in Nicaragua!!!

Hi!

I need some help in Nicaragua!

Well I have had my first serious problem in over 70,000 miles with two 990 Adventures. The part of the rear pipe that the Lambda sensor is mounted has broken off, plus that part of the pipe has a split. The moto is a 2010 990 Adventure. I plan to remove the pipe tomorrow and a local shop will weld it. Successfully I hope!

What has been y'alls methods to repair this? If I were in the States, I would simply order a new one and I will when I get back there in April. But for now, I have got to get it repaired some way. We are on the way to Panama.

What is the easiest and fastest way to remove the rear pipe? I am assuming once the rear wheel, muffler and maybe the shock is removed that I will have the necessary clearance.

Looking for advise and especially first hand experience. THANKS!

I will cross post this to the KTM sites as well.

Part Fiche; http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...exhaust-system

Donnie
Old 01-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 772
Hey Donnie,

Too bad you didnt post a few days ago. i'm headed to nica tomorrow. couldda brought you the pipe.

not sure where you are, but hands down the best shop for fixing big bikes in nica is the triumph dealer in managua.

ktm is in the process of opening but i don't think they are quite done yet. besides, they wouldn't have the part in stock anyway.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...-is-open-72004
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
Hey Donnie,

Too bad you didnt post a few days ago. i'm headed to nica tomorrow. couldda brought you the pipe.

not sure where you are, but hands down the best shop for fixing big bikes in nica is the triumph dealer in managua.

ktm is in the process of opening but i don't think they are quite done yet. besides, they wouldn't have the part in stock anyway.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...-is-open-72004

I didn't know I had the problem till today. :)

I have been in contact with the KTM dealer in San Jose, Costa Rica. He may have a used one. If I can get this one repaired in Juigalpa, Nicaragua, I may order a new one at San Jose since we will be between here and Panama for at least another month. What will make things a lot easier for me is if they can successfully weld the existing pipe.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,553
I bet somebody can Nicaraguanize it. Good luck D.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I bet somebody can Nicaraguanize it. Good luck D.
Thanks!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #6
Adventure Trio
Wandering

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Thanks!
Send me a PM when you're in San Jose. We are held up here for a few weeks as our son broke his arm & wrist 2 days ago and needs to be off the road for 2 weeks. We should be a bit stir crazy by then......

-Terry
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:19 AM   #7
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Trio View Post
Send me a PM when you're in San Jose. We are held up here for a few weeks as our son broke his arm & wrist 2 days ago and needs to be off the road for 2 weeks. We should be a bit stir crazy by then......

-Terry

Sorry to hear about your son! I hope he mends quickly!

I will send you a PM when we are in the area! I have been following y'alls Blog.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #8
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I should have posted this here day before yesterday.

I got the pipe welded today. It looks OK to me, but I don't know much about welding. The welder assured me that it was good metal and that he used the proper rod and temperature to weld it. He says it is a permanent repair and that there is no need to replace the pipe. I welcome input from folks that know something about welding. Thanks!

dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #9
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
What are your thoughts as to what caused the failure? I also have a 2010 990 and would not want to have the same problem.
As far as the welds, if you don't figure out what broke it the first time it will break again no matter how good the weld and those are not good welds. they might get you through the trip but I would still order a new pipe. Also if he didn't drill out the end of the cracks before welding, the cracks are still there waiting to rear there ugly heads at a later date.
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:49 AM   #10
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdog View Post
What are your thoughts as to what caused the failure? I also have a 2010 990 and would not want to have the same problem.
As far as the welds, if you don't figure out what broke it the first time it will break again no matter how good the weld and those are not good welds. they might get you through the trip but I would still order a new pipe. Also if he didn't drill out the end of the cracks before welding, the cracks are still there waiting to rear there ugly heads at a later date.
I have no idea as to why it broke, but I doubt it has any thing to do with it being a 2010 model, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. I did receive info from a couple folks on a different Thread that had similar experiences, plus through the years I have read of a few other, but can't remember the specific make or models of the motos. I think it was just a rare failure and nothing to worry about.

I will replace the pipe with a new one when I get back to the USA. Of course that will be 5,000 miles from now! I had a few responses on the other Thread, one being from a welder with 20 years experience that said it was a pretty good weld. But, I guess time will tell.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #11
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 678
those are not good welds. they might get you through the trip but I would still order a new pipe. Also if he didn't drill out the end of the cracks before welding, the cracks are still there waiting to rear there ugly heads at a later date.[/QUOTE]
I am with you the cracks will be back. I would try to get the other pipe and bring it with you. that's my 0.02
B
Old 01-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #12
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
those are not good welds. they might get you through the trip but I would still order a new pipe. Also if he didn't drill out the end of the cracks before welding, the cracks are still there waiting to rear there ugly heads at a later date.
I am with you the cracks will be back. I would try to get the other pipe and bring it with you. that's my 0.02
B[/QUOTE]

I am already in Nicaragua. I have ridden 300 miles with the repair. The 4,700 miles remaining miles is completing the ride to Panama and then returning to the US where I will install a new pipe.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #13
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Oddometer: 1,232
There's no telling what it will do. The weld may work just fine. Usually the cause of something like that is vibration. Check to be sure the mounts that hold the pipe in place are in good condition and not worn and any insulators in the mounts are in good shape.

I had a similar thing happen to a BMW I own and had welded. That was about 8 years ago, and its still ok.

Good Luck....I will be in Nicaragua in about two months....
WR's in NH and Maine: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733821
whizzerwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:02 PM   #14
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzerwheel View Post
There's no telling what it will do. The weld may work just fine. Usually the cause of something like that is vibration. Check to be sure the mounts that hold the pipe in place are in good condition and not worn and any insulators in the mounts are in good shape.

I had a similar thing happen to a BMW I own and had welded. That was about 8 years ago, and its still ok.

Good Luck....I will be in Nicaragua in about two months....
Thanks!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
Oldwin1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,637
muffler rap

If it was me and I could find some muffler rap I would rap it. It looks like a weak link in the chain due to a big sensor vibrating and bouncing around. I think the muffler rap would be an inexpensive way to dissipate the vibrations and relieve some stress. You should be able to pick it up at an auto parts store. You just wire wrap it on .

Ron