Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 05:16 AM   #226
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
Well, I'm convinced she's got a vibration she shouldn't have. I can't hear anything nasty, so I'm tending towards a countershaft bearing. I'll take it easy down to KL and get Sunny to check it out while I'm back in Oz for the week. I just had a very generous offer from an inmate to store my bike and gear... but I'm going to make sure I sort that vibration issue out. Its not there with the clutch in... and its rev related. Nothing huge... just a vibration that wasn't there before.

I've decided to give the bike a rest tomorrow. I stopped at Lake Kenyir over on the east of the Malaysian peninsular to check out the hornbills (saw dozens this evening)... and am doing a birdwatching jungle walk in the morning. Up early. I've just been looking at the photos taken on sensor cameras locally. Tigers, leopard cats, sun bears, elephants.... oh dear... here we go again. I told my guide about the yellow eyes I saw in the lights in the jungle down at Way Kambas National Park.... and his eyes lit up... he smiled... "yellow eyes... Tiger!". Anyhow... the objective tomorrow is hornbills.

I just posted this photo on Facestalk and Andras jumped in with "that's not Adventure riding". After the underpants in the sink the other day, this just averages things out... and its only $20 dearer.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #227
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
Well, I'm convinced she's got a vibration she shouldn't have. I can't hear anything nasty, so I'm tending towards a countershaft bearing. I'll take it easy down to KL and get Sunny to check it out while I'm back in Oz for the week. I just had a very generous offer from an inmate to store my bike and gear... but I'm going to make sure I sort that vibration issue out. Its not there with the clutch in... and its rev related. Nothing huge... just a vibration that wasn't there before.

I've decided to give the bike a rest tomorrow. I stopped at Lake Kenyir over on the east of the Malaysian peninsular to check out the hornbills (saw dozens this evening)... and am doing a birdwatching jungle walk in the morning. Up early. I've just been looking at the photos taken on sensor cameras locally. Tigers, leopard cats, sun bears, elephants.... oh dear... here we go again. I told my guide about the yellow eyes I saw in the lights in the jungle down at Way Kambas National Park.... and his eyes lit up... he smiled... "yellow eyes... Tiger!". Anyhow... the objective tomorrow is hornbills.

I just posted this photo on Facestalk and Andras jumped in with "that's not Adventure riding". After the underpants in the sink the other day, this just averages things out... and its only $20 dearer.

Looks like lifes tough at the top eh! Must catch up one day so you can tell me how you do it

Hope the Kaboom rattle is no more than a minor clutch related problem and up are up and running again soon

Glen
Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #228
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Hi Bigfella, just read your entire RR from the start! Loved it...what a great adventure! I am based in Singapore, so if you find yourself down this way would be a real treat to buy you dinner and a few beers to hear your stories. We do a fair bit of riding in the jungles in southern malaysia (albeit on chook chasers) so if you are down this way let us know, and we can hook you up if your keen. Thanks for the great RR, and looking forward to the next instalment!
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #229
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Glen... you and I both... about that vibration. I'm just keeping the revs down and I'm heading straight for KL tomorrow. I've spoken to Sunny and I'll go straight there. I don't think its too nasty... there's no knocking, just a vibration at higher revs.... but then again... that could be bottom end. Oil over here is always a worry. I did one change in Bali... and that was done by a good Aussie mechanic working there. The last change was in Medan and I bought the oil from a recommended, high end(ish) store. There is counterfeit oil around though. I'm told Sunny has Motorex.

As for how I do it.... maybe my clients will forgive me, maybe not? I did have a brainwave on a job today - the one I've got my son working on - which I have to go back for next week. Would you believe I was sitting on an abandoned road in a gap in the jungle waiting for Hornbills to fly over when the solution to the job came to me. I wish that would let me claim the trip on my tax... but it won't. There's no justice eh?

Right here...

That's my guide (nice guy, impossible name).. pointing to where he saw the tiger tracks on the road next to where I was sitting. Umm.... where? "Just there.... it was wet, could see the tracks on the road."

He did a good job - a $20 birdwatching tour.... apart from not showing up at the appointed hour (slept in). I think he felt guilty and he wouldn't let me pay for his brekkie... or my fruit juices (fresh mango).

These photos are an experiment. I've got no idea how they'll look. I was pushing the ISO to 3200 and I've had to crop like mad in dear old Paint. I'll figure out how to get consistent sizes one year. We saw lots of interesting stuff. We were chasing Hornbills, but heard White Handed Gibbons in the jungle, so in we went. I was under their tree for ages and couldn't see them. Finally found a gap. The adult is the black one... out of focus I think, and the brown one is a youngster.

The sound of them singing is spine tingling. Amazing stuff... "very shy" says the guide.

Speaking of impossible names, I've got no idea what he called this one

These were some Pied Hornbills at the resort last night. Crappy shots... but such is life when you are seriously undergunned

I'm tempted to take the weight hit - about 1.3kg extra - and bring back a big lens.

If these work, they are a Wrinkled Hornbill... the guide was happy to see them, I'd have loved a decent shot

When we set off this morning, he said... "no need for helmet... not going far". 40km later....

More wild elephant crap on the road. He was fascinated when I showed him the tusk groove in my Safari tank... he loved it.

Why the road was abandoned. Tough... go the long way around

No warning signs on that at all. Come up on it at 100kph... you'd be history

OK... back on the bike... I'm heading back out to see if the Hornbills are heading home yet

Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #230
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Great shots, what lens were you using for the hornbills - oh and what is the bigfella lens that you are going to bring back?
Cheers Rob
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #231
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

motomuppet - we'll see how things go. I'm just about to set off for KL today from Lake Kenyir. I think its about 500km - but I want to stay under 100kph... which is going to be fun on the tollway.... to try and stay away from that vibration. Fredful is in Singapore now.... and I was hoping to catch up - we did a few Blue Mountains rides together.

Rob - when I drowned my D100 (or it may have just decided to expire around then)... I picked up a D7000 Nikon with their 18-200 zoom. Its a good general purpose lens... but when I was in Vietnam 2 years ago, I lugged my old Nikkor 80-400 zoom with me. I didn't use it a lot, because the D100 was very susceptible to dust... but when I did, I was happy with it.

That's the setup I had then... the D100 with a 17-35 and the 80-400. IIRC, I'd just pulled the 80-400 out then to the sound of breaking glass - just a filter fortunately and no scratches

Here's one taken at 400mm - I recall taking it quite clearly - we'd ridden out to a tourist cave about 13km out of Sapa and decided to come "home" the back way. It was a lovely ride... obviously not done by many westerners. This kid was enjoying himself and I got a few shots. As soon as he spotted us, he hid - so I wouldn't have got anything much with a shorter lens

... and just down the road, we found a dope plantation - right on the road

.... enough of Vietnam.... back to Malaysia.

I got some more shots of the Hornbills last night, but too far off to be much good. Fascinating to see - Wrinkled and Rhinoscerous. Amazing bills on them. Saw a big owl this morning too - about the size of our Powerful Owl.... but missed him with the camera.

OK... time to ride.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #232
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Here's today's ride. 444 km from Lake Kenyir to Sunny's bike shop in KL.

Average while moving was 91kph... I wasn't caning it, I just didn't sit behind anyone... it was either up the outside or up the inside. There was a bike "lane" most of the way.... so I used it. I only got squeezed once.... by a truck who swerved left - and I had a kerb to my left, so I stood it on its nose. I'd almost backed out of that move anyhow, as I'd realised there was no Plan B when the kerb started.

The vibration was there, but it varied a bit and later in the ride, I found some higher speeds I felt comfortable at. I got into it through the mountains and passed dozens of the cars that had sped past me on the straight toll road. I had a ball through the sweepers... even with a bit of rain... not enough to grease up the road.

Interestingly, I got a bit carried away in the tunnel that's about 1 km long and enjoyed the Wings without baffles. I looked down and I was doing 149. The interesting bit is that my Montana recorded that... in a tunnel. How does it do that?

I'll post some photos another day... I just realised its gone midnight and I've got an overnight flight in two days, and I won't get any sleep that night.

The guys at the bike shop think the vibration is probably just a loose engine mounting bolt. There's no noise... so? I'm getting them to check the valve clearances, because I last did them just before I left home. The bike was at 14,000 then and it clicked over 31,000km today. So... 17,000km on the bike on this trip so far and another 2,500 with it on the trailer from Sydney to Cairns. I'm getting all the fluids changed... the front brake has gone a bit spongy again, new seal on the rear master cylinder, new clutch and fork fluids... and I'll bring back two new rotors.

I might see if I can get the skidplate welded up here too. We noticed that one of the rear lugs was busted off when I was in Bali.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #233
inferno_robe
tourer

Oddometer: 21
Enjoying ur ride report! Good RRs on Indonesia and Malaysia are simply too hard to find
inferno_robe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #234
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Thanks. I'm back into it in a couple of days. I've been chasing up some parts in Oz this week. I've got new disk rotors to take back.. front and rear - a PITA, because the airline says I can't take them in the cabin. Years of flying conditioned me to avoid taking anything but cabbin luggage whenever possible. I've got a new air cleaner and oil filters, a brake piston kit for the front master cylinder (no rears available in Oz... I'll have to put up with the drip)

I was going to wrap things up in a cardboard carton but as I recall it, every carton that I saw going into Malaysia gets opened and inspected. I'll see how I get on with some sort of old bag.

I've spoken to Sunny's son... who is doing the work on the bike. He's changed the oil and says there's nothing nasty looking in the oil, so I'm hoping that vibration is just the engine mounts. That's going to determine where and what I do next. I'd like to duck down towards Singapore, but if the vibration is still there, I won't do that. I'm not sure I want to cross the border to Singapore with the bike... and go through customs with it twice. If I head south, I might park it up short of the border and just hop over myself.

I'll know by Wednesday or so.

I've got my Thai visa. The guy at the consulate wanted to know why I wanted one, given I'm from an exempt country. Because I'm crossing at the land border with Malaysia.... "don't do that... very dangerous". Yeah, we know that... but how else do I get to Cambodia? "Very dangerous". Yeah, OK... can I have a visa please? The rub, if you don't get one ahead of time is that you apparently get a 30 day permit for the bike... and a 15 day visa for you at the border. Not exactly helpful.

So, let's see what I've got in the way of photos from the road trip through Malaysia that I haven't put up before.

Did I show the road conditions on the blast from west to east coast? Not too bad at times, but plenty of broken areas

The guys from KL that I'd met had suggested I get onto the new, unfinished road. I got stopped by construction workers at the start of it, but told them I was just going for a look.

It wasn't too bad, but there was a bit of greasy clay and there was a storm hanging around... so when I got stopped again... up near the horizon in this shot, on a fairly steep bit, I decided the old road would be good... in the absence of any local knowledge. I had no idea where this road was actually going... other than it was supposed to get me towards Lake Kenyir.

Back on the old road, I went through a few of these... police stops, presumably aimed at the logging trucks

They waved me straight through.

This logging truck was getting the full workover by SPAD

There was a National Parks stop up near Lake Kenyir... complete with

No bulls.

This guy

came up for a chat. He's got a 950 SM... but not with him... he had the carload of kids on school holidays.

I did a u-turn to have a chat with this fella. Turned out he wasn't friendly....

I've only seen a couple of the processing plants for the palm oil.

A couple more hornbill shots from when I went out by myself. A male Wrinkled

and a Rhinocerous

How about passing a police truck whilst riding in the breakdown lane. They'd nail you for that in Oz. Here, I got a wave.

and the breakdown lane itself...

Its in pretty good condition... although it disappears sometimes at bridges and I had to dodge a couple of bolts that had come off trucks. It sure makes it easy to overtake when there's traffic around.

I got my second "catch all" stop for the cops.... the last one was in Jogyakarta, Java. This one was on the way to KL. Two cops waved me to the front of the line... big grins... "where you from... where you going"... then waved me through... no licence check.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #235
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

This was in the foyer area of the resort up at Lake Kenyir. You really have to wonder when you see stuff like this....

That's a 240v power outlet on the floor of the open, but covered, foyer.

I saw this guy riding around a bit. Brand new bike... no lights or road gear of any sort. You see a fair few of these sorts of bikes around.

When I got to KL, the main focus was on getting the bike sorted. I took in the bird park... which is fabulous and bought a few watches.

Can't say the body language is brilliant in this shot, but at least she was up for a photo

I love the Petronas Towers. Fabulous. No longer the tallest buildings in the world, but so what

You even get to peek under the skirts of an old F1 car

I headed over to Traders Hotel to the Poolside Bar, up on the roof... L33.. and its got a lovely view... through open sides of the towers

There was a concert going on between the two buildings... but...

The bar was good. A total absence of ladies of negotiable affection meant you could sit back and relax. I did meet this young lady, who was on her way home to China after studying in NZ for a few years. Funnily enough, we lived in the same suburb in NZ for 2 years ... although we were there well before she was born. Mellons Bay.... and I was studying while I was there.

We got talking when she asked if she could come past me to take some photos of the fireworks.

Speaking of the birdpark... it is worth a look

Old 06-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #236
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Before I forget it, I finally got the last few photos off my old D100 that expired over in Flores, Indonesia.

Here's the spider web paddy fields that are about 15km out of Ruteng, on the road to Labuan Bajo. They are off the main road, at Caro.

Quite interesting. We got into the men's shed there too

Old 06-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #237
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

After my quick trip back to Sydney for work and a catch up with the family, I flew back to Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

I've been really impressed with Air Asia... no fuss, no frills... cost me $735 for the return flight, including meals and "hot spot" seats - I really do need the extra legroom. Changing one flight only cost me $100. Compare that to a certain Aussie airline, where the ticket cost me $1000 and because they make you do the trip in two sectors... when you change a flight, they whack you $240. So - my cheap Jetstar ticket has cost me $1,500 so far... and it will need another $240 change....taking it to around $1750 soon... and who knows whether the date I pick will work out. Sad to say, but I'll almost certainly just let it lapse instead. I don't even bother looking at the Qantas/Jetstar website these days, but there was a time when that was the only way I'd fly.

Speaking of ripoffs, the damn taxi driver I got last night was either a total incompetent or brilliant at upping the fare. Not a big one... cost me $4 in the end but it should have been just over a dollar. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and didn't complain. It was entertaining at least... watching the tacho and seeing just how many revs he'd give it whilst slipping the clutch. 4,000 was his best effort. No need for first gear... use 4th and slip the clutch.

I arced up back at the hotel though... got a different room, one where the aircon cools rather than heats the room this time then went to retrieve my luggage. Handed over the receipt and the guy says "per day:"... trying to scam another $30 out of me. The original deal when I stopped at this hotel was 2 x 2 days and luggage storage for free. When I stored the luggage they wanted 10 ringgit ($3.30) and I didn't complain because they put it in a secure locker rather than where they'd originally said I could leave it.

Anyhow, I told the guy to give my receipt back... and he wouldn't. He wanted more. I didn't get my receipt back until he realised he was going to probably lose his head.... it did get rather ugly... quite ugly actually - lots of raised voices and him jumping around the place trying to hang on to my receipt - with me trying not to piss myself laughing. We all ended up with the woman who owns the place. He lost the argument.... and there was certainly no "per day" on the receipt. If I go missing in the next day or so... get the cops to check the stew pots in the restaurants around here.

I don't like a ripoff. Incompetence, like the taxi driver... yeah, that's part of the deal. Ripoffs... nah,

Anyhow, I made it clear I didn't want anyone in my room... no cleaning, nothing. I pointed at my new best mate and said "anything missing.... I'll be dealing with him". I did get a nice smile from the owner when she unlocked the door last night though after I got back from dinner.... which was the signature dish at the local Egyptian cafe. A full on mixed grill... with a mango juice.

OK... time to try and work out how to have a shower in my bathroom. Its a doozy... so narrow you can't even wipe your bum on the toilet. The bathroom is 700mm wide... 2' 4".

Then... its off to Sunny's with my bag of bike bits. They work gentlemen's hours there. Open at 9:30am
Old 06-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #238
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

The guys at Sunny's Motorcycles have done a great job with the bike. I really like the way they work... very professional. Pity I missed the wheelstand he pulled on the test ride.

So - half the problems with the brakes look like they were caused by the guy at Lake Toba overfilling the brakes with fluid. That caused some dragging. I've got two new rotors on now, a new airfilter and its got new fork oil, engine oil and brake fluid. Not sure if he did the clutch. Its also had the valves checked, only two needed shims.

I'd have done all that back home, but not on the road without torque wrenches, etc.

I wish I'd left it there till tomorrow - not the best security around my hotel, but I've locked it up pretty well. Speaking of which... I've carried a 1kg Kryptonite New York disk lock with me the whole damn way... and only felt the need to use it a few times... certainly no more than 6. Well... its clagged... won't unlock. Better that happens off the bike than on it. Arghh.

Hmm 10pm. Must be time to go get lunch.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #239
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

I'm in Melaka. I'll see if I can upload some photos later. Lovely town... a World Heritage site, as is Georgetown, up at Penang.

My baggage man at the hotel in KL ended up being very friendly. Hopefully I'll have convinced him not to try and scam the next person. I really did put the wind up him when I had a go at him.... and I think the other staff may have had a word to him. It turns out there's not a local among them, they are all on work permits. I ended up giving my extras (spare backpack, etc) to the guy across the road who'd kept an eye on my bike yesterday.

The bike is running fine. I was sitting on 130-150 most of the way here... up to 170 and its cool and smooth. I've got the Scottsoiler working again (new nozzle) and the brakes are great. I tried to chase a Bentley on the motorway... I was taking it easy in some heavy rain, just came out of it and he went by. I sat on 160 (couldn't go faster because my wet weather poncho was choking me big time at 160)... and he just disappeared. I reckon he was doing 300.

I managed to break traction in 6th gear at 120 in the wet. Hmmm.

The plan, if there is one, is to head back north tomorrow afternoon. Ronnie Ventura is going to be in KL tomorrow, heading north to Ipoh on Thursday and I'll ride up with him. I met some guys from up near the border at Sunny's so the plan is to catch up with them before running into Thailand. So - that means I won't be catching up with the Singapore guys. My thinking is that I may be able to get up the HCMT before the wet. I won't be able to renew my Carnet unless I manage to find an inspection station in Thailand or Cambodia... and I need the Carnet to get into Laos.

OK.... its beer o'clock. Time to go stir the streets of the world heritage site with some Wings music.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #240
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Some drongo appears to have taken his mini usb cable home last week and left it there... so I've only got photos from one camera. I brought my big bertha lens back - which made packing interesting today.

So... I'm leaving the big lens on and using the P&S for anything closer but that may change.

I picked up a screw on macro attachment in KL... so I can keep an eye on things

The weather was seriously crappy while I was home, so I didn't have much of a play with it. It might be fun... with a bit of cropping

Not much depth of field to it

Wow... look at that.. flowers on a big bad bikie's site

OK... back to Malaysia. I went for a walk here in Melaka... was going to go for a look here in the Maritime Museum (this is a replica of a Portugeuse galleon that was here in 1511)

.... but in my anti-ripoff mode at present, I told the guy to shove it when he wanted 6 ringgit from me, instead of 3... because I'm a foreigner. They can shove their tourism businesses if they want to discriminate on the basis of where I was born. OK... rant mode off.

The river walk is great. Bloody big water wheel

The Portuguese/Dutch fort was good too.

Wouldn't want to swim here though... even the fish don't like it

The World Heritage area is great. I love this sort of crap...

... and no, I'm not a roofer.

I took this one for my daughter... she's an acupuncturist and TCM practitioner...

Bucketloads of bronze on this bloke (Malaysia's first serious bodybuilder)

But... this little bastard deserves to have his tusks cut off. (Yeah... I'm still smarting)

Speaking of smarting...

That reminds me... I went for a massage today. Great Chinese guy - rough hands, but they were magic. The old bloke knows just about as much as my proctologist though.... he sure covered some territory. He did the most amazing head massage too - fingernail stuff... got me in total goosebumps. Just as well I'm hetero... or I would've kissed him. I did mention, didn't I, that we old bastards need more tuneups than our bikes?

I sat down at the cafe I'm eating at tonight (Geographer's.. just had a fabulous Portuguese fish fillets, washed down with two and a half pints of Guiness. Oops... I'm on the bike)... and took some passing people photos

Youngun's

and not so young

I ended up jumping into one of these monstrosities for the ride "home". Poor bloke said he knew where to go... but he didn't.. so I gave him a tip whe we finally got there.

The photos off the little camera will have to wait....