Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #271
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,379
Just a quick update... I'm a bit dizzy methinks.

Got a late start... after a lot too many beers with Ronnie, Johnathon and Nancy. I really shouldn't do that again... try and quench a thirst like that with beer. No one told me it was over 700km to Phuket. Bike ran well, cracked the ton in the fifth country in a row. Wonder what the speed limit is here? I breezed through customs on both sides. Total time about 20 minutes. I haven't checked the GPS yet, but I must've averaged over 115 kph for the day.

Thanks Ronnie for reminding me to buy the Thai insurance before the border. I'll write the details up later. I can't remember the name of the town now... but there was a sign "Thailand Insurance" on the left about 10 km before the border. It was 35 ringgit for one month or 50 for 3 months,,, which I took (I'm shipping from there, I think) You have to hand in the other half of the form on your way out... or get fined next time back. The only hitch was I hadn't filled my visa number in on that form... but the border guy did it. Apparently I got 60 days,,, but haven't checked whether that was me, the bike, or both yet.

Re the armour. I went through 4 or 5 rainy bits today. Didn't stop for any of them. One was a serious storm cell... big winds and all. Trucks were creating foamy marks with their tyres in all the diesel on the road. Pulled up with the rear wheel locked at one set of lights though... very slippery.

I'm wearing worn out Oxstar boots... big split in each of them. KLIM Dakar pants - vents open, of course. I don't know off the top of my head what the armour is (I'm out getting dinner and SIM cards, etc) It was a clearance line at MCA when I was in there one time. I'll see what the brand is later. I like the built in kidney belt. The rain today was heavy... as mentioned, but it doesn't last long. I could feel it stinging my shoulders through the mesh.... and I got wet.... but I was dry again 10 minutes later. The only effect is that you ride nice and cool (not cold) for 10 minutes or so. I used to put a poncho on, because I was carrying my paper international licence in my wallet... in my pocket... and it got wet once. Now I carry it with my passport and a small amount of cash in a drybag in the tank bag. If plod wants to pull me up... its a one stop shop with not a lot of money for him to oggle for an "on the spot" fine.

I went past plenty of Thai cops today btw. Waved to them all and gave them a grin. Got waves back.

Thanks again Ronnie for helping me get the bike inspected yesterday. What was it, 20 ringgit... all above board, all official. Now to see if I can get the Carnet extended. If it runs short on time, I'll just have to duck back into Thailand until it arrives.

I'll finish up the Malaysia photos later. Someone said that there's a table tennis tournament on here in Phuket.

... and guys... ask Ronnie for directions to where we ate yesterday. The curry noodles were fabulous. Food and drink for both of us was $3.... and brilliant.

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #272
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

According to Mr Garmin, if I add together the three trips that he's helpfully broken today's ride into, I did 682km at a moving average of 90 kph.

The armour is an EVS Ballistic jacket. Nothing special.

Back to the GPS. I couldn't get it to register Phuket.... believe it or not. A pretty major tourist destination. I got it selected by pinning where the town is and then searching for lodgings. As I headed up Route 4.... the Garmin worked its way down from Turn Right in 75 km... to the exact location of a turnoff. Damned if I know where it was taking me... but a right turn would take me to the East Coast. Phuket is on the West Coast. I stopped at the corner and asked some locals. Nope. Phuket, head north, turn left. Mr Garmin then corrected himself and got the proper turnoff. WTF?

I love their marketing blurb. "Navigate the streets of Southeast Asia with confidence." Bullshit.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 07-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #273
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

A bit of a rest day today.... I put in a pretty fair effort yesterday, out on the islands.

But, more on the islands later. First up, the rest of Penang and the ride north.

I managed to get a boot over the swollen ankle and I'd done the day before without the walking stick... so it was all systems go. This shot is yesterday... the bruising isn't too bad now... but is bigger than the palm of my hand and the swellings pretty much gone. That seems to be a recurring theme.... big bruises. There was the shin, where the knee guard bit in (and saved my knee) and the thigh, from the frigging elephant.... and now this... from me going arse over tit on the best bit of paving in Penang

So... I've got to go get the washing. Its only 200m away.. but the ankle, remember, so I'll just jump on the bike and, yep the rain's stopped... so,

Yeah... the rain hadn't stopped. I figured I'd wait it out at the laundry

Ronnie's right... he does use his old phone to take photos. Hey Ronnie.... its a restaurant mate. No smoking.

But seriously the grub's good. This is the curried noodles we mentioned earlier. Its got all the ingredients in it that I shouldn't have, given my food allergy. Chilies, curry, etc.

Absolutely delicious.

I've gone through nearly as many rear indicators as I have tyres on this trip. These guys included installation in the price... so here I am getting sort of legal again

Just on that issue of tyres.... I saw another ride report the other day, a couple on a KTM Adventure - similar, but heavier than mine. They'd ridden into Asia from the other direction and used 3 sets of tyres in 50,000km. Whaaat? If I add up the tyres I've used so far... about 20,000 km.... a pair of D606 Dunlops on the Cape and a part-used Mefo Super Explorer for the rear got me to Darwin (about 6,500km - bearing in mind I started riding in Cairns). A new Mefo and a something or ruther (Heidenau?) in Darwin got me the 3,000 km to Bali - then another Mefo and a Mitas E07 to Medan, then another set of them until now. I'm already one (part-used) tyre more than that at 40% of that distance - a total of say 6.75 tyres. At current rate of wear, I might make it to 25,000 km on this set.... double their rate of wear. The big wear has been in the tight stuff... lots of accelerating and braking.

I was really relieved to get the inspection done. I don't know whether the NSW RMS will accept it or not.... but if they don't, I'll have to raise a series of questions on the whole process. Its not public service the way they do it.... other folks register their bikes interstate, rather than put up with the NSW crap. I'm about to hand over hundreds of dollars for a service I won't receive, Hmm. Why do I have to pay for NSW insurance that doesn't cover me out of Australia so that I can ride a registered bike?

I'd like to have seen Johnathan's modified KLR, but it wasn't to be.

I offered Nancy a ride of the Super Enduro, but, nah, these Malaysians are so conservative...

.... and that was Penang.

Ride through Oz and Asia

The Bigfella screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 09:40 PM
Old 07-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #274
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Hmmm.... when that post came up, I realised I should add... that first lady had no affiliation with me... I did a solo tour.... which of course raised about 30 questions across the day... "why you travel alone".

I tootled up the E1 to the border, mostly sticking to the bike lane... unlike this copper, who shot up the fast lane

As mentioned earlier, I stopped 10km short of the border for my Thai insurance, then again for fuel - it being much cheaper in Malaysia. These guys were all on big bikes, headed to Phuket, although I never saw them again over the next 500+km. There was a Hayabusa, a big ST Honda, etc...

Customs...

I appear to have buggered it up a bit. I've got the magical insurance paper and I've got a visa... stamped for 60 days, but I don't appear to have a temporary bike import document. Riders from Malaysia don't need one, so the customs guy may have thought I was from there... although I'd handed over my "rego" papers. Given they are only good for 30 days and I got 60 for the visa... maybe he let it go. I dunno, I'm guessing time will tell.

Lots of locals I've run into here have been complaining about police corruption. I've read plenty of tales of foreigners being stopped and having bribes solicited... so I asked a local what would happen if I refused to pay? They just can't comprehend that. I'll see how I get on. I've thought up a couple of angles that might work. Again... time will tell.

Immediately over the border and the riding/driving changes. Its halfway back to Sumatra in style. Immediately more dangerous too - you need to ramp up the awareness factor to 100%. The kamikazi riders and drivers reappear... they shoot across in front of you or join the road without looking. They don't recognise speed differentials. That's not to say it doesn't happen in Malaysia, but its much easier riding there. Speaking of Malaysia - when I was riding down to Melaka, I watched a truck carve up one guy... the he did it to me, so I adjusted his mirror for him - going on the look on his face, I reckon I near gave him a heart attack. Back to Thailand.... this was the express laundry service. She's carrying a basket of washing... and yep, they were doing the full 110kph

This sounds terrible... but I really had no idea how far it was to Phuket.... and when I got there, I had no idea the best area to stay. I ended up heading into Phuket Town and staying at the first reasonable looking hotel I saw. The road up there got interesting. I love these big karst formations - most of which are hard to photograph on the move

...oops... time for a reboot. I'll relocate to the coffee shop at my, ahem, resort. I've gone all Charley and Ewen here.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #275
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,531
uhhhmmmmm . . . . .

I have a feeling this is about to get very interesting ! ! !

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #276
tradern
Windsor NSW

Oddometer: 60
Hey brother - a little birdy told me you are suffering with the Montana.

I'm uploading the malfreemap that we compiled the other day on a windows computer at the local internet cafe. With any luck with Ronnies net connection I will be able to upload to this dropbox thing. Its a fantastic map - really blew me away. I would also recommend if you haven't already to upgrade the firmware on the unit too. The reliability for us went up astronomically with the second last upgrade I did. Also make sure you haven't got any avoidances set up (aka allowing u-turns helps a lot for auto routing for asia).

Will PM you the details of the dropbox thing when I work it out.

Take care of the foot and keep up the photography of the 'birds'. Both local and foreign!
tradern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #277
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

For once.,,,, I think I've retrieved a "lost" post. Lessee...

Thanks guys... and yeah, I'll keep the camera clicking. Actually though, I passed up on one photo yesterday... I'd gone to the dunny at Maya Bay, out on some island in the Andaman Sea. It was about 150 metres inland.... I guess located there so it serviced both sides of the island. Anyhow coming back, I'm watching where I'm walking... barefoot - but I look up and there's this Chinese bird with her cossie around her ankles... um... taking my photo. She sure had the aim right. She's obviously decided she's not walking anywhere, has followed the path just into the shrubbery and has stationed her girlfriend as a lookout... on the beach side. I walked right past her just as she hitched her pants up... didn't stop to say hello. What's a bloke to do? If I stopped and she'd turned around, I'd have been in trouble. If I hadn't already had one, I'd have pissed myself laughing though,

Here she is.... Can't see it here... but she's got a cute tush

Neil... that'd be great with the map - thanks. Got the PM... I'll see how I go when I get back to the Montana (I've walked down for a massage).... I've updated the system - and yeah, its better. It'd been glitchy at times... telling me to turn in 600 metres... then not updating and you'd have no idea which road to turn into until you'd gone past. I think the only exception I've used was I had to turn tollroads off when I was in Indonesia...

OK... back to the ride north.

This one reminded me of the good old days with TZ's when I heard it. Interesting tyres

If you can see it and smell it, its a gunna wet you

It really pissed down for five minutes with this one. Nice white foamy lines to follow from the truck tyres, as I mentioned earlier.

Those karst formations again

I blatted past this little fishing village, but decided it was time for a break and went back

This boat's missing its rat-tail engine, but its interesting to see the planing boards at the stern

I love these floating villages. Lots of them through various parts of Asia (definitely take in the floating villages on Lake Tonle Sap, near Siem Reap in Cambodia... fabulous things). This one wasn't far short of Phuket

Now, if I had my cooking gear....

Mussels and pipies/cockles I know what to do with

But these?

.... and bagging the dried fish is very civilised

More later... I really need to find a computer shop methinks.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 07-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #278
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Hey Bigfella, I was up in Phuket over the weekend as well! Shame to miss you. Be careful on the Thai roads, particularly in the south, apart from the general mayhem, they are the slickest roads when wet I have ever ridden on! Enjoy Phuket, and look forward to the next installment!
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #279
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
Hey Bigfella, I was up in Phuket over the weekend as well! Shame to miss you. Be careful on the Thai roads, particularly in the south, apart from the general mayhem, they are the slickest roads when wet I have ever ridden on! Enjoy Phuket, and look forward to the next installment!
Sorry I missed you. I guess I better start to figure out which way to go from here. Two more nights here. About one week's dosh left in the debit card at the current rate too... so better get on side with the missus tonight. Dear... can I have some more money please?

As for those roads... yep, slippery in the wet. I slithered up to that set of lights with the truck on the left of the photo. Szzzzzz from the rear wheel. Very, very slick.

So... coming in to Phuket... I know I'm getting close... but I've no idea where to go.

Hmmm .... Plod.

He didn't seem to mind my speed or overtaking style, so I kept at it and ended up in Phuket town. Not exactly the tourist high spot - and it was peak hour. I found the nearest decent looking hotel and checked in,

"Massage on 2nd floor... 200 baht ($6)"... so I went to the second floor after I unpacked. Damn knock shop. No massage that day... and I sure could have used one. No wifi either, but hey - I wasn't going anywhere. I grabbed a data package sim card - cheap as chips. Problem solved. I had a phone sim that some fellow travellers had given me. Sheesh, can't remember who now. I've got a Malaysian one to give away to someone heading south. Got enough credit on it to get them through the country too.... with plenty of calls O/S thrown in.

I only spotted a couple of westerners as I drove in, so I figured this wasn't the Phuket that draws them like a magnet. After a decent sleep and some nice soup in the morning, I headed down to Kata Beach. I'd jumped onto a hotel booking site and grabbed a room at the Alpina Resort for two nights (ended up with two rooms... buggers)

Nice hotel

... and grabbed a small lunch of nice crab. Decided mid-afternoon it wasn't enough and grabbed some Borsch (plenty of Ruskies around here). I found a decent massage place (decent in several respects) and convinced my masseuse to chaperone me to Patong Beach for dinner. Before you guys get all drooly... I picked the oldest one in the place... in her 40's. No way was I headed to Patong either alone "Hey mister...." or with a young chick. Eileen (I'm about 99.9% sure that wouldn't be how she spells it) was more than happy to take up the offer of a lobster dinner... and she claims she's never seen the ping pong show before too..... but she loved it.... as did the rest of the crowd which was fully 50% female btw... mostly Chinese and some Aussie tourists. Yeah... I caught a ping pong ball... and yeah.... I had the recently emerged budgie perch on my finger... and yeah - I sure as hell washed my hands. Eileen belted me up a bit on the bike on the way back.... "slow down, police around" and that sort of thing.

So... virtue intact, I had a good look, so to speak, at Patong. Stopped the crowd with the bike.... something that the Harleys and Ducatis weren't managing to do.

I pigged out again last night... this time alone. Lobster two nights in a row.

This is my local beach. It actually reminds me a bit of Coffs Harbour, where I grew up... just the vegetation and the island.

There sure are some nongs riding around here on rental scooters. Plenty of evidence of their skills too... lots of youngsters limping and on crutches. I watched one Westerner in singlet, shorts and thongs (flip flops, jandals, or whatever you want to call them) head around a gentle curve this morning.... inside leg out, foot skimming the ground - in thongs. I wonder if he's still got all his toes.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 07-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #280
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Its 11:30am... the day I was supposed to check out.... and I'm laying in bed writing this with the wind howling and Huey is sending it down in bucketloads. Yeah... I wimped it and I've extended for another day here at Kata Beach, Phuket. I'll wander down for a massage later. If there's somewhere you want to get holed up by the rain... this place fits the bill. I think its forecast for tomorrow too. My plan for today had been to head up to a National Park a bit north of here - its listed as 4 hours on a bus, so probably 2 on the bike. It'll still be there tomorrow... or the next day.

It rained yesterday too, but I paid Eileen out of work - sounds bad, but that's the way it works here.... I gave her boss 300 baht ($9) and Eileen 1000 baht ($30) and I had a guide for the day.... complete with car. She wouldn't get on the bike again... "too scary". She was happy with that. She gets 40% of the money she takes for massage - and they didn't get many in yesterday. Its low season. She got here too late for brekkie... so we ate Thai. I can't say I was over impressed. Pig offal soup.... kidneys, arteries, liver... and a couple of bits of pork. I'll come to all the touristy bits later... but first up, my trip out to the islands.

I did the VIP trip. No backpackers on this one.

The backpackers went on more "interesting" boats I think, but I wanted to cover some more territory

Ours was licenced for 50 + 3 - but they only load 25 for the VIP cruise. The owner, his wife and very young kid were on board too, along with 4 crew. I was the only native English speaker on board. There was a group of travel agents from Morocco, Russians, Chinese, Indians and a couple from Dubai... and one lone Aussie.

My friends from Dubai - they work in Abu Dhabi - he in real estate, she's a sports photographer.

One of the Moroccans

Hellooooo China

Lots of Chinese tourists out on thre from the other boats too

Yeah.... there might have been some Chinese guys there too, but I didn't notice them

I did some snorkelling at Phi Phi Island

The coral is pretty hammered there... a lot of it dead. There's some interesting creatures eating it too. Not sure if this is related to the Crown of Thorns which has been a problem on our Great Barrier Reef (where the coral is brilliant)

Meet Olya, one of the Russians

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #281
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

The beaches are lovely

Plenty of facilities

It paid to stick your head up when you heard an engine. No-one came closer than 15 metres... but hey... that'd get you nailed in Oz if you went that close to someone in the water.

We kept poking our nose into interesting spots

... and I could poke around the local boats. Sure glad I don't need to paint that many numbers on my boats

Lovely eh.?

There are reminders of Dec 26, 2004.

A good friend of mine's daughter was in Phuket then, on the beach. She made it. Her travelling companion didn't. She's not over it. Probably never will be.

Our guide on the boat insisted on taking my photo in Maya Bay

Here's the photo I took from there

This is one of the birds nest caves.

Its owned 50% by the company that harvests the nests (for birds nest soup) and 50% by National Parks. Bizarre.

The owner

This thing really motors with three 225 Hondas on the back

Maya Bay was interesting at low tide. Not easy to get out of. This was another boat.... and he wasn't really giving it to it when I took this shot. When he was, all you could see was white water. OH&S?

I do like these rat-tailed boats

But most of the Asian tourists want plastic. This isn't a disaster at sea... its Chinese tourists snorkelling

There's the odd tame Iguana being hawked around for a few baht. I was naughty and broke out the big zoom

It is tropical...

Plenty of reef herons around

.... and on that note, I need to download some photos from the last couple of days.

But before I do... Eileen (yeah... its not her real name, she showed me her ID card and I'm damned if I can pronounce her name) found a ring outside my resort while she was waiting for me. I took a look... big, chunky gold ring encrusted with diamonds. BIG $$$$. Real big $$$$. I said to her "What are you going to do? Keep it or hand it in?" She handed it in. Turns out it was owned by a falang (westerner) staying here. He'd searched the swimming pool for it and had been looking everywhere. No thanks note or reward for Eileen though. Scumbag.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #282
Maverick75
Rat

Oddometer: 73
Fantastic shots. The birds really are lovely.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #283
Finch.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
My plan for today had been to head up to a National Park a bit north of here - its listed as 4 hours on a bus, so probably 2 on the bike. It'll still be there tomorrow... or the next day.
Khao Sok? It's pretty awesome.

It's worth a few days, though it looks as though you've already spent plenty of time wandering about in the jungle. Not sure if it'll be too lively given the season, though.

I'll be in Bangkok in a month, Koh Tao a bit later. Beers are on me if you're around.
Finch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #284
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Stunning photos there Finch. I bet it didn't look like that today though.

The rain lifted this afternoon. If tomorrow morning is a repeat of today, I'll aim for a late departure and see how I go. It isn't too far.

This was yesterday... lighter rain than today, but rain none-the-less

Even the day before had a bit of an overcast to it. Here's me, pointing out my room

Meet Eileen, my tour guide...

She looks a bit better without the temple modesty gear

Geez its tough in this country. I've picked a 46 yer old tour guide and she's probably still cute enough to get me in trouble with the missus and the daugher. Its OK girls... she's not "that" sort of tour guide.

See... we went to the temple

Did lots of banging there....

But that wasn't enough... so did some more

They go in here

That big packet went about 8' around the wall. It sure creates a noise

The first time I heard a string of these, at Kata, I thought it was automatic gunfire

Eileen insisted on taking my photo with these foul demons

I got to play with big brassy nipples up at the Big Buddha

Rub them the right way gets the noises happening.

The Big Buddha isn't quite finished. Big is right. He's 45 metres tall

He's not the only big thing up there. This bloke is about 8" long

I felt sorry for all the poor bastards up there who shelled out for some ATV excitement. I could hear the governers working overtime and apparently they only have one gear. The fastest one I saw was doing maybe 12kph. They all looked cute with their shower caps on too.

I did mention that it was raining, didn't I?

I took (or vice versa) Eileen to Fantasea last night. Its a bit kitsch in places

Apparently this chick is a tiger

and this beauty will set you back $13,000

Can I have a pair?

Eileen providing some taste to the dining hall

The show was brilliant though. A bit kitsch again in parts, absolutely brilliant in others. Its the first time I've sat in a theatre and had elephants thunder past 10' away. At least this lot didn't try and kill me... nor did the tiger, or ..... its worth seeing.

I went back again tonight to the restaurant Eileen had taken me to the other day. There's an 8 piece band there, mostly Phillipino, who, whilst they murdered a couple of songs, were brilliant. Five of them did vocals... giving them a massive range of artists that they covered... from the Beatles to Satchmo, with Kylie Minogue and... you get the idea. The guy who did Louie Armstrong was absolutely brilliant.

Anyhow... that's about me for the night.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #285
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Well.... its raining again. Still haven't decided whether to wimp it or not. I'd rather move on I think. There's only so much baa baa tourism that I can stand at any one time.

I'll see what check out time is and then decide. Its very wet out there... but its only 85km (as the crow flies)

In the meantime, I'm about to make Eileen's day. She'll be at work in 15 minutes, so I'll pop down and hand over the 3,000 baht ($90) that the owner of the ring she found had delivered to me. His friends said that he never expected to see it again and that he'd been very upset. I know that Eileen has been thinking about it. Selling it would probably have set her up for life... allowing her to open the massage shop she wants to run. I told her she'd done the right thing and got an "I'm poor" back. I don't fully agree with her there... she's got it a lot better than many, but I understand where she's coming from.

Ride through Oz and Asia