Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2005, 02:34 PM   #31
Linzi
Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer: 15,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc riverz
What the hell is wrong with 3 hour lunches?
Italians live the right way. All of their clocks work off of "ish." Get up, scooter your way to work, take a long lunch, do a little more work, enjoy an excellent dinner, then hang in the piazza enjoying gelato and good music until 2 a.m. Repeat.

Yeah, I could do that for the rest of my life.
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:53 PM   #32
doc riverz
anatra di seduta

Oddometer: 4,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzi
Italians live the right way. All of their clocks work off of "ish." Get up, scooter your way to work, take a long lunch, do a little more work, enjoy an excellent dinner, then hang in the piazza enjoying gelato and good music until 2 a.m. Repeat.

Yeah, I could do that for the rest of my life.
Amen, sister!

Wow, this is weird. I'm agreeing with Linzi. Is Hell freezing over?
doc riverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:01 PM   #33
Foto Veloce
The Free Radical

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrider
I recently talked to an elderly gent on one of these Suzuki scooters at a gas station. I asked him if he liked it. He gave me the broadest of grins and said, 'I particularly enjoy blowing past the Harleys on the freeway."
Well, that's sort of like bragging about a VW bug beating a Yugo off the line..
Old 08-19-2005, 06:43 PM   #34
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
I would totally own a scooter for running around town..to the movie store...errands..probably would not even wear a helmet, basically fun in the same way driving a golf cart is fun.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:20 PM   #35
Slice
words+pix+wood+bikes

Oddometer: 681
Scoots are more than hoots

My wife ran her 650 Suzuki scooter for ~7k miles on a recent trip. No problemos, and a most remarkable ride.

Homophobics may have a hard time, but I have to say I would have ridden it instead of my much bigger bike— if she'd let me pry it from her greedy and vibration-free hands. She was in such comfort the entire journey, and although she packed as much as I, she was the one who could get to it during the trip thanks to the bike's various and easily-accessible storage compartments.

Slice screwed with this post 08-25-2005 at 12:44 PM
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:03 AM   #36
ketchup57
Fundamentally Weird

Oddometer: 402
Just road 145mi round trip on my GS to Danskin Station - with my wife riding her Yamaha Majesty and my Father riding his Yamaha Majesty
I have been riding for a number of years and was always trying to get them to ride motorcycles. My wife finally took the Stars class and road a Suzuki GZ250 for a summer but was never comfortable with shifting in traffic. When we got the Majesty it had more power and with the CVT was more comfortable for her in traffic. My father had to get one as soon as he saw it, he had been riding a Zuma for a couple years and when he traded it in the shop said they had never seen a Zuma with over 7000 miles in 2 years. He is already pushing 4000 miles in the 4 months he has been riding it.

These aren't just scooters to them.

"Well done ketchup - I don't recall anyone missing the point quite so comprehensively..." - MikeO

05 Yamaha Majesty - ADV Scooter
04 Ural Troyka - ADV Hack
05 BMW 1200 GS - ADV Bike
ketchup57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #37
astro
seek light

Oddometer: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick
I won't give up my motorcycles, but the more people that get on two wheels, the better for all concerned, even if they are scooters.

Brick
Well said.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:06 PM   #38
astro
seek light

Oddometer: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Yeah, where men kiss eachother on both sides of the face to greet, people take 3 hour lunches on a workday, and they have roads as narrow as my manhattan apartment's bathroom door-
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc riverz
What the hell is wrong with 3 hour lunches?
or narrow roads??
Old 08-23-2005, 05:13 PM   #39
mitchxout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmrdad
My wife ran her 650 Suzuki scooter for 8,000 miles on a recent trip. No problemos, and a most remarkable ride.
Yo man, wassuuuppp??!! Did she scrape something with the right mirror? Did you check gas mileage on the trip? Meet any other "scooterists" on the road? Be cool, brutha.
mitchxout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:01 AM   #40
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRO
or narrow roads??

uMMMM, yeah, that's what I said
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:27 PM   #41
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,649
Three hour lunches are sweet. Enjoyed this on a recent trip to Argentina. We Americans got it all wrong.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:56 AM   #42
Slice
words+pix+wood+bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchxout
Yo man, wassuuuppp??!! Did she scrape something with the right mirror? Did you check gas mileage on the trip? Meet any other "scooterists" on the road? Be cool, brutha.

WTF? You asking for a freekin' RIDE REPORT??
Old 08-25-2005, 09:01 AM   #43
mitchxout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
No, just a few stats.
mitchxout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #44
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Three hour lunches are sweet. Enjoyed this on a recent trip to Argentina. We Americans got it all wrong.

Yeah, tell your American boss that
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:56 PM   #45
Slice
words+pix+wood+bikes

650 Scooter-ride Stats

* Started and ended in Asheville, North Carolina.

* We rode solely two-laners out and back from Mississippi, except for a few unavoidable, and disgustingly memorable, highways.

* Itinerary: From Asheville, NC, southwest to Jackson, MS to drop off my boy at his summer workplace at the the local Honda/Yamaha dealer, who happens to be my bro-in-law. A week later, we rode north through TN, IL & MO for a hell-bent westward run through KS. Nice, but damn is it flat. We stopped to play in southwest Colorado; motel-roomed in downtown Jackson, WY to enjoy riding the Tetons; camped in Yellowstone, then rode out the northeast exit for a ride down Chief Joseph Highway. We camped at Devil's Tower, then ran southeast and into the Black Hills of SD. Booked it back to MS (NE, KS, OK, TX, AK) and headed south to New Orleans for two nights of non-bike fun, aka drink and food. Slabbed it home from MS to NC.

* With a full fairing and wind-cutting profile, various foot positions, butt-pad and makeshift backrest (from a camp roll), EZSpeed was in relatively quiet and luxurious comfort.

* At one point, during a twisty canyon run into Gateway, CO, with about six other bikes, EZSpeed took off for a solo ride ahead of us. It took us about 15 minutes at 100 mph before we saw her ass again. Half of this I attribute to her riding skills; but 50% goes to the bike. It can corner fast with a very planted feel.

* Radiator kept the bike cool at all temps, including running through Gateway (105 F) in Colorado. Never had to top up the coolant.

* Considering it was a new bike (1k miles on the odo), I was impressed that I only had to add about a 1/4 cup of engine oil the entire trip.

* Changed oil (no filter) at ~4k miles at a bike shop— nope; make that the only bike shop— in Jackson, Wyoming. Super-nice people at JH Cycle & Saw.

* Changed the rear tire in Rapid City, South Dakota, although it could have gone another 3-5k miles. Took two days, after ordering it a week in advance in Cody, WY. My heart-felt thanks to a specific cretin at the local Rapid City Honda-you-name-it dealer.

* Averaged ~48 miles per gallon, carrying a topcase and a daily gear of about 100 lbs.

* It never stormed the entire ride, although it was hot enough for wet T-shirts and water-filled neckwraps. 95% of our riding was in bright sunshine. Never cold, either, although a few ridges were a bit nippy.

* On the way back to Asheville, on 20 in Mississippi, something punched a 1/4-in. hole in the rear tire. Being on the side of the highway, in the humid, hot air as freight-train trucks roared by, sucked bigtime. So, instead of an hour-long temp tire fix (I've never used my tire-repair kit, so I figured it would take at least three plugs before the tire held air), I stuck the 650 in the trailer and pulled out the bmr. Easiest flat-tire fix I've ever had the pleasure to experience.

* Put about 7k miles on the scoot.

* EZSpeed dropped it twice (standing; never got a picture, dammit), and then once again after we were home. It goes over fast if you don't keep it close to vertical, unlike my C. However, it's very easy to pick up, especially with two people.

The last drop produced the mirror-housing scratches you asked about. Luckily it didn't touch the $45 turns lens that had just been installed at MR Moto.