Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #61
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius
... They go the speed limit, so Full face helmet, gloves, boots, pants and jacket are just as important on these as they are on a sport bike or DP bike on the road. so if you really are ATGATT, then they really aren't that much more convenient....and if you're not ATGATT on a scooter - why not?

The gear isn't what makes them convenient. The practicality of the trunk, the great handling and the twist-n-go ease of operation is.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #62
ScootGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius
so if you really are ATGATT, then they really aren't that much more convenient....
Sure they are, when you take all that gear off, where do you put yours?

I put ALL mine under my seat. I do not have to lug a helmet, gloves, and a jacket around anywhere with me when I ride my scooter, that is a big PITA with my MC.

I use less gear on the MC just so I don't have to worry about it being stolen or lost.

And when I come out of the store with a 12 pack and 2 full grocery bags, what do I do? I put them in my storage and scoot home. :)
2008 Wildfire WFH50-S2E 50
ScootGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #63
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
This thread was started back in 2005? this is some bump.

I ride a 250cc Chinese scooter.. it has been reliable for 6400+ miles since I received it back in March 2008.

It cost $1699 shipped to my door.
It's amazing how cheaply bikes can be built under in an authoritarian society where technology is pirated, workers are paid next to nothing and quality control doesn't exist.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #64
ScootGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
It's amazing how cheaply bikes can be built under in an authoritarian society where technology is pirated, workers are paid next to nothing and quality control doesn't exist.
What is even more amazing is, they work! :)

Takes a bit of work to get them to work, and stay working, but for the cost, it is a pretty good deal for anyone that can turn a wrench and work on electronics.
2008 Wildfire WFH50-S2E 50
ScootGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #65
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat
(Aside from Vespas having become "cool" in the past couple years.)
Dude... Vespas have always been cool.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #66
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,971
How is something like a Burgman 650 considered a scooter and not just a motorcycle with an automatic transmission? Because that's all it is. A very heavy, very ugly motorcycle with an AT.

What makes a scooter a scooter is that they are tiny, light and mount the engine on the rear swingarm.
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #67
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat
I've noticed an increase in the level of acceptance of scooters around here lately. (Aside from Vespas having become "cool" in the past couple years.) Now this morning I read a thread where someone recommended one as an alternative to a Suzuki DL650.

Lemme think... two wheels, a motor, handlebars, twist throttle, brakes... sounds a bit familiar.

Now if it comes down to the transmission, Honda even screwed up that difference with the CB400/450/750A.

Scooters are just another variant of motorcycles in general, like pit bikes and mini motorcycles.

If they really bother anyone on either side of the "fence" it is those individuals' problem and prejudice. Wave to any rider, talk to any rider, we're all a lot alike... but individuals at the same time. Such is life.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #68
notdave
gets bored easily

Oddometer: 152
only thing 'girly' about a scoot is the step through design. why? step through designs were made for women so they can wear dresses and ride through the city. and you'll see them use scooter skirts europe to cover their legs.

i wish there were more mana 850s and DN-01s with the traditional horseback riding and auto trans. i feel safer being able to hug the ride with your legs or stand on it like a dual sport.
notdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #69
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdave
only thing 'girly' about a scoot is the step through design. why? step through designs were made for women so they can wear dresses and ride through the city. and you'll see them use scooter skirts europe to cover their legs.

i wish there were more mana 850s and DN-01s with the traditional horseback riding and auto trans. i feel safer being able to hug the ride with your legs or stand on it like a dual sport.
You're wrong about your history of women and skirts. Most motorcycles weren't/aren't step through because the engineers failed to come up with innovative designs able to accommodate both engine and rider comfortably. Step through designs simply provide better ease of use, but they took awhile to get a handle on. The least imaginative way to solve the structural dilemma was--similar to bicycles--to put a big bar between the seat post and front tube (which later became an easy place to hang a fuel tank).

Step through designs were all about making the bike useful, not just dual gender friendly. For example, they allow protection from the elements. Consider that the Ner-A-Car advertised that the rider arrived "with clothing and shoes neat and clean." Similarly, scooter skirts are nothing more than a different version of the fairings on motorcycles. People just don't like the word "skirt" and get all macho about their idealized conception of motorbiking. But the best selling bike in history--the Honda Cub and its underbone variants--is an attempt at including step through design and protective fairings.

approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #70
notdave
gets bored easily

i was stating opinion not fact

you got me on that one
Old 01-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #71
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdave
i was stating opinion not fact

you got me on that one
Sorry if I can across kind of harsh, but I do really enjoy riding scooters and occasionally drag out the fine point sledgehammer.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #72
notdave
gets bored easily

im a scooterist too. 1985 honda elite ch150D to be exact. no matter how hard i try i can't win the battle against my friend who drives a ducati. we'll go back and forth all day with the auto trans, horseback vs chair, skirt, wheel size, horsepower, V vs thumper etc...

im happy with my scoot.
new tire: $20

his new tire: $100+
Old 01-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #73
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I let Harley riders make fun of me on my scooter!

If they can catch me!!!!!!!
Silverwing rider.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #74
pops66
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Yeah, where men kiss eachother on both sides of the face to greet, people take 3 hour lunches on a workday, and they have roads as narrow as my manhattan apartment's bathroom door-
You say that like it's all bad?
pops66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #75
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootGuy
Sure they are, when you take all that gear off, where do you put yours?

I put ALL mine under my seat. I do not have to lug a helmet, gloves, and a jacket around anywhere with me when I ride my scooter, that is a big PITA with my MC.

I use less gear on the MC just so I don't have to worry about it being stolen or lost.

And when I come out of the store with a 12 pack and 2 full grocery bags, what do I do? I put them in my storage and scoot home. :)
How comfortable is the seat on your Kymco People s 250? That scooter is on my short list. Thanks!
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote