User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2015, 06:24 AM   #1
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Venezuela to require Americans to apply for tourist visas

Just saw that Venezuela will require Visas for Americans, at the same cost that Venezuelans pay for visas to visit the US. I don't know if visas will be available at the border, or if you need to get them at an embassy in the US before you travel.

Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
arooni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Horizons Unlimited has a thread on this too.

I'll post the same questions and info I posted there, as this is highly relevant to me:

1) How does one obtain this visa? I'm in north east Brazil now and I'd like to obtain it but I don't know how. Can it be obtained in Boa Vista, or Manaus?

Looks like they have consulates in Belem, Boa Vista, and Manaus (link to info here link to info here )

2) What is the political environment in Venezuela now for an American motorcyclist? It looks to me like they're starting to target *whatever* American might be there and accusing them of spying.

Look here ,
"A group of four missionaries had been called in for questioning after participating in a medical assistance campaign in the coastal town of Ocumare de la Costa, the head of a Venezuelan evangelical organization said on Friday.

The four had reportedly left the country for Aruba after having been questioned."
My license is from Washington State and my license too. But I'm guessing the average border/federal police checkpoint won't understand the difference between Washington DC and Washington State and think I'm a bad apple.

What are your thoughts? Do we have any recent experience of motorcyclists that have passed through the country recently?

Thanks in advance!
David
Follow my journey at http://www.davidparkinson.com
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,832
I was going to be crossing at Cucuta, Colombia on Thursday morning. Will be calling the consulate Monday AM to see what the latest is. From the sound of it all seems just like the reciprocity fees of some of the Southern SA counties charge US citizens in direct response for what the US charges those citizens for VISA to enter the US. Read it was $160-$190 in some recent news article, just hoping in my be for tourists arriving by air for this first bit or at the very least just paying the money at the border without having to send in passport for proper VISA.

I'm surprised it has taken them this long, if in fact all along the US has been charging Venezuelan nationals a tourist VISA fee.

Its always something and it never quits, I was really looking forward to getting back down South this week Maybe there is still hope...my high dollar ticket is non refundable and I'm sure it comes with a hell of a change fee
Old 03-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
I was going to be crossing at Cucuta, Colombia on Thursday morning. Will be calling the consulate Monday AM to see what the latest is. From the sound of it all seems just like the reciprocity fees of some of the Southern SA counties charge US citizens in direct response for what the US charges those citizens for VISA to enter the US. Read it was $160-$190 in some recent news article, just hoping in my be for tourists arriving by air for this first bit or at the very least just paying the money at the border without having to send in passport for proper VISA.

I'm surprised it has taken them this long, if in fact all along the US has been charging Venezuelan nationals a tourist VISA fee.

Its always something and it never quits, I was really looking forward to getting back down South this week Maybe there is still hope...my high dollar ticket is non refundable and I'm sure it comes with a hell of a change fee
Usually, if there's a political change like this, airlines will work with passengers to get things sorted out. Your problem is having a ticket to Colombia, while your destination is Venezuela. You still have time, if you haven't already, to buy travel insurance. I'm not sure what Travelguard will cover, if you've already gotten your ticket, but I do know that they would ordinarily cover things like plane tickets where political shit gets in the way.

Good luck. But I don't think you'll need it.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:28 AM   #5
ar15bang
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Sounds like Argentina, pay at entry.

But best confirm obviously.
ar15bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:21 AM   #6
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,538
They like "pay on entry" because who handles the money keeps it.

Pay on entry sounds better than having to send your passport to an embassy.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #7
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

I'll call the consulate in Houston and if I don't get a resounding NO ENTRY I will give it a go and just see what happens Maybe go up to the beach in Colombia
Old 03-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #8
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,700
Nothing to do with Venezuela but.....

When I crossed into Argentina last year the 160.00 reciprocity fee was NOT payable at border entry . You had to go online and pay the fee with a credit card before you got to the border. When I got to the Chileno/Argentino border in the Andes at a little outpost in the sticks, they looked it up on their computer to confirm that I had paid online and stamped it in my passport. Good for multiple entry for 10 years. It is not possible to do this at the border in Argentina. Of course, with Venezuela who knows?

I checked over on the Thorntree forum at the Lonely Planet website and there is no info. The hippy backpacker crowd at hostels in the area usually have good info.

There was an ADVrider over near San Cristobal VZ who invited me for a visit. Not far from Cucuta. I never made it to VZ and I can't remember his handle on ADV. But someone from the area would have a better idea of the current deets.

On a side note, great news to hear you are heading back to Colombia! If anyone can make it into Venezuela I'd put money on you. Hey, you dodged a figurative bullet in Cuba. This will be cake.

Buena suerte,
John Senior
Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,700
It just occurred to me:

Why not check with the Colombian airlines that fly into Venezuela? They would know. Like Viva airlines in Colombia. When you land in Colombia walk over to the airlines counters for the local guys. They won't sell you a ticket unless you have a passport and visa. They should know how to get whatever visa or reciprocity fee handled that Venezuela now requires for Americano gringos.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

I talked to two Venezuelan consulates the one in New York and the other in Houston. The one in New York said no problem at this time as they have yet to implement anything , while the one from Houston recommended stopping at the consulate in Cucuta to just check and that tourist visa wAs $30us. I'll plan on stopping in there before I go to the border looking for a stamp for my book. I'll just see what happens, Inshallah
Old 03-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #11
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

This showed up on the Department of State site today Today and my good friend SS in VNZL saw that it had made the gazette printing and is now new Venezuelan law.

Looks like I will be scrouging for a visa at the Cucuta consulate and if not there I guess I turn around back to the VZ embassy in Bogota. This is starting to suck

Will try to call Houston consulate and Cucuta consulate before I fly and try to confirm the possibility of said visa acquired at consulate site. Maybe this is just a Colombia rental trip now
Old 03-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #12
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

I'm stopping in at Houston Consulate first thing tomorrow AM to get me a visa or not ;)

Sent from the fingers of Throttlemeister.
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #13
arooni
Gnarly Adventurer

Just called up two Venezulan embassies (Manaus and Belem) and one told me :

1) Impossible to get the tourist visa there. I must fly back to the USA
2) I can get it in Manaus but I have to have residency there and be living there.

It's looking like it might be impossible to travel to VZ if you don't first have the visa in the States.

Anyone hearing otherwise?
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #14
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

I just got out of the consulate at Houston and they where oblivious to the new requirements. Thinking it take awhile for this to trickle down. I'm headed to Cucuta, Colombia tomorrow and will try there and the give embassy in Bogota a try if that fails. Something out to work I'm not giving up easy
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #15
arooni
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like you'll be unable to travel through Venezuela if you don't have your visa applied for in your country of origin. I just spoke with Sr. Blanco and he confirmed there was no way to get the visa from the Brazilian side.

Quote:
Para tramitar una visa fuera de su país de origen debe estar legalmente residenciado en el país donde solicita la visa (en este caso es en Brasil). Sin estar legalmente residenciado no podemos tramitar su visa. Si Usted posee residencia formal, puede acudir a cualquier de los seis Consulados de Venezuela en el Brasil (Boa Vista, Manaos, Recife, Belém do Pará, Rio de Janeiro o São Paulo) además de la Sección Consular de la Embajada de Venezuela en Brasilia.

Atentamente,

Lic. Mauricio Blanco.
Primer Secretario
Asuntos Consulares
Embajada de la República Bolivariana de Venezuela
en la República Federativa del Brasil.