User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
Where to buy Guia Roji maps of Mexico?

I'm putting together my Mexico/Central America trip and with searching on this forum, I've learned that the Guia Roji maps are probably the best for Mexico. Everyone recommends "get the Guia Roji."

Where can I get it? An online search gives me several sites which are mostly in Spanish and sell a handful of different looking "Guia Roji" maps. My Spanish is pretty basic, and I want to make sure I get the right map. Amazon lists the Guia Roji, but it's not in stock.

So... can someone give me a link to a place where I can order the map (with quick shipping, I'm hoping to leave within two weeks).

Thanks.

Jamie
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
bajarider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
address

Hi there, this is the link: www.guiaroji.com.mx,
ventas@guiaroji.com.mx
Tel in Mexico : 5271-8699
Tel Fax Mexico: 5277-2307

Hope this help.

Usually we can found it locally in Sanborns and some gas stations, for more less then $ 200.00 pesos.

When the U.S. and Canada enter rehab, we can kiss drug cartels goodbye.
bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
colomtnbiker
wimpy old guy

Oddometer: 475
http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/mexico2.htm#p5

The wife & I just finished 3 months in Mexico/Central America. I bought the big and large version of the Mexico road atlas and left the small one behind. I also bought foldup versions for north, central and southern Mexico and glad I did. The road atlas is good but the foldup still had some detail the road atlas didn't. If I did this trip again ( and we are talking about doing it for 6 months starting in a year and a half) I probably may even take some of the state maps just to have even more detail. We got our maps in Spanish and glad we did, it's easier to relate to mileage when you are down there. If you have any more questions, PM me and I'll respond.
colomtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
I haven't looked, but suspect that the Guia Roji road atlas can be found at large bookstores in some US cities.

Colomtnbiker mentioned State maps for Mexico. There are many, many roads not shown in the well prepared G-R road atlas and you will need extra maps, if you plan to make a habit of running the back roads. I've not used the States maps myself, but have heard that they're very nice.

A large-ish paper map is useful for overall trip planning and seeing the big picture.

I'll also recommend omnimap.com as a good source for maps of all types. Simply, it's what they do.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Pelon
Dia Por Dia

Oddometer: 1,061
Sanbornes. (Coffee shop / store in Mexico) Which ones do you want? If you can't get em on line, I can grab some and mail em to you. Let me know.

Pelon
Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #6
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
You can buy it on Amazon- at least I did. OTOH, we just dumped ours in Puerto Morelos (near Cancun) because we didn't use it in our entire trip. I think the plastic-paper Rough Guide map of Mexico contains just as much detail, and it's easier to use (since it is only the front and back of the same page, instead of 47 tiny pages).
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
You can buy it on Amazon- at least I did. OTOH, we just dumped ours in Puerto Morelos (near Cancun) because we didn't use it in our entire trip. I think the plastic-paper Rough Guide map of Mexico contains just as much detail, and it's easier to use (since it is only the front and back of the same page, instead of 47 tiny pages).
Depends on what detail you want.
A front and back Rough Guide map might have the main highways, but won't show roads that G-R does, if you want to explore a bit.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #8
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelon
If you can't get em on line, I can grab some and mail em to you. Let me know.
Pelon,

Part of the trouble is that I'm not sure what I want. Although I've traveled in Central and South America some, it was purely by (chicken) bus, and never in my own vehicle. I used a Lonely Planet to guide me. I've never been to Mexico, and I've never had to use my own vehicle.

I keep seeing the Guia Roji mentioned, and some other suggestions in this thread are quite useful. Thanks.

Jamie
Old 04-28-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarider
Hi there, this is the link: www.guiaroji.com.mx,
ventas@guiaroji.com.mx
Trying to order. Created an account. Selected my maps, went to checkout. It asks for email and password, but rejects my password and says my account hasn't been activated. Do I have to wait for someone/something to activate my account? I haven't gotten any sort of activation email.

How long does shipping take? I'm hoping to leave for Mexico in about 10-12 days.

Jamie
Old 04-28-2007, 10:34 AM   #10
Mr Baggins
Stinky Feet

Oddometer: 1,035
www.treatyoak.com .I ordered over phone.good fast service.Located in Austin TX. Good luck.
Mr Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
Pelon
Dia Por Dia

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z

How long does shipping take? I'm hoping to leave for Mexico in about 10-12 days.

Jamie
How are you getting to Mexico? ARe you going through California? If so, I can hook you up on your way through . . .
Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 AM   #12
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Caveboy,

Thanks for the link. I still haven't been able to order from the guiaroji website, so I'll try your link.

Pelon... I'm in Memphis. I'll probably be getting into Mexico through eastern Texas. Want to visit some friends in Louisiana on the way down. No CA for me this time. Thanks for the offer though...

Jamie
Old 05-02-2007, 07:41 AM   #13
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
maps online

http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/ has moderately detailed maps online, free. The detail was much better than the atlas that I bought at B&N books. I just printed all relevant pages double-sided on a color printer and they worked out quite nicely.

Also, for route planning, maps.live.com by MSN is amazing-- much better than google or any other service for countries south of USA.
daveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #14
cbmwgs
Retired Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
AAA member ?

AAA has a good map of Mexico, shows most of the 2nd roads. Lots of Dirt roads.

Free to members.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #15
Quetzal
Guatemalan Import

Oddometer: 462
Guia Roji is good if you are interested in doing some exploring, backroads and visiting small villages. But if all you want to do is go across Mexico and while doing it visiting the usual tourist attractions (ruins, colonial towns and landmarks), then all you'll need is a basic Mexico map that you can find at any Borders or Barnes and Noble store.

BMW R1200GSA
BMW S1000RR
'A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.' - Lao Tzu
Quetzal is offline   Reply With Quote