Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
RomaDakota
Yes Scotland!

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by matman1972 View Post
My favorite rebuild thread of all time!!! And the one that got me into these soviet bikes.
Damn dude - sorry bout that
Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Ummmmmm... everything?

Like the old Packard ads used to say, "Ask the man who owns one...."

And yes, I own one.

One minute you will say "this thing is built like a tank!"
The next minute you will say "what the #$@$ did they build it like this for?"

It all depends on who 'rebuilt' the thing most recently. If done to American standards, I'd say it would be ok, but like an old tractor / car / etc. If it was rebuilt to Russian standards, be prepared for anything.

But, you will not find anything as unique for the price. However, $6500 is a bit steep, unless its perfect, mechanically and looks wise.
Indeed, a pricy conversation piece. Allow plenty of extra time to commute back and forth to those back woods logging roads, you might want to play on -- not like these get much over 45 mph.
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #18
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Well, it's half the price of a new Patrol and about a hundred times more unique.

But I wouldn't know a cool bike if it passed me in a sandwash!

ADVISORY WARNING!
This post may contain sarcastic humor and personal opinions.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #19
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,649
The "not win any awards" was something I said and to be honest it may win some. It's pretty clean.

It has been painted so that should count in the price department I would think. Original patina would be much better.
I was just talking with a good semi-local BMW tech. He has a "99" Chang(?). From the conversation I had with him I don't know if I really want to mess with this at this point in time.
Bottom line...It looks like a good bike, maybe a little over priced but he did say obo/trade. If I'm going to be spending money now on a bike It's going to have to go at least 55mph. I'd get run over riding that around here.

I WILL check out the build thread RomaDakota. Thanks!

If anyone wants the contact info of the seller PM me.

bwalsh screwed with this post 11-11-2011 at 01:33 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #20
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post
Indeed, a pricy conversation piece. Allow plenty of extra time to commute back and forth to those back woods logging roads, you might want to play on -- not like these get much over 45 mph.
Yep! It would take longer to get there than the day is long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc
Well, it's half the price of a new Patrol and about a hundred times more unique.
Definitely a unique rig!

Thanks for the Dnepr 101 lessons folks!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #21
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just spoke with the owner of the bike. Seems like a cool guy. I told him about ADVrider and to sign up and post the bike in the flea market. I'm not sure he is going to though but...you may want to keep an eye on the bikes for sale section.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #22
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I just spoke with the owner of the bike. Seems like a cool guy. I told him about ADVrider and to sign up and post the bike in the flea market. I'm not sure he is going to though but...you may want to keep an eye on the bikes for sale section.
Where is the bike located, generally speaking.......
Estamos copados
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #23
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Where is the bike located, generally speaking.......
Northern Virginia, just off I-95. Just a hop, skip and a long jump from you.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #24
ReCycled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Need better pictures. Does it have the original 2WD differential with locker?
If it is really am MV750 (with star stamped military parts) with original locker and proper accessories the $$ is about right.

I have one and the engine are rather strong but you are going to cruise at 40-45mph, nothing more.
This is not the bike to purchase and swap motors. This is a rare bike.

This advise is 100% spot on! If the motor and trans have the military stamp then it is a fair asking price. This is a very cool rig.

If you can't shake the thought of a "more reliable" BMW motor and you'd like to cruise faster than 45mph, then that money could buy an older BMW rig or newer Ural.
ReCycled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #25
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReCycled View Post
This advise is 100% spot on! If the motor and trans have the military stamp then it is a fair asking price. This is a very cool rig.

If you can't shake the thought of a "more reliable" BMW motor and you'd like to cruise faster than 45mph, then that money could buy an older BMW rig or newer Ural.
Now, I also was traveling along that line of thought when I bought mine as a non-runner. Was all ready to get an r75 or r80 motor to put in the ural, until I tore into the 650. Just a simple replacement of the russian bearings with skf and timken throughout, and a few other items and I am perfectly happy with this motor. Not to mention, Replacement motors and parts are pretty darn cheap. Now the flathead might be a little more expensive on parts, but there is no way I would replace it. Be like putting an evo motor in a wla.
Estamos copados
Old 11-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #26
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Quote:
Yeah, You F-n owe me, big time!

Kidding, love my cheap little sidecar rig.
Estamos copados
Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #27
RomaDakota
Yes Scotland!

Oddometer: 1,348
[QUOTE=matman1972;17284274]Yeah, You F-n owe me, big time!
/QUOTE]

That's OK, I'll let you buy me a beer anytime

Slight hijack, but the 650 Urals and Dneprs do get looked over. Great way to test the waters of Russian sidecar types for a few grand prior to the 15k deep-end-dive. I still say a 650 is 86.7% that of a new 750
Old 11-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #28
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

[QUOTE=RomaDakota;17285048]
Quote:
Yeah, You F-n owe me, big time!
/QUOTE]

That's OK, I'll let you buy me a beer anytime

Slight hijack, but the 650 Urals and Dneprs do get looked over. Great way to test the waters of Russian sidecar types for a few grand prior to the 15k deep-end-dive. I still say a 650 is 86.7% that of a new 750
I have learned to scour european ebay sites for anything I can't get from Gene, which hasn't been much. i think I just paid 18 for a full set of cables, 24 for new (brand new) handlebar controls, and bought a set of 8 timken wheel bearings for 30 bucks. At this rate I won't have to worry about running out of parts anytime soon. I have a spare set of cylinders, crank, several entire gasket sets, etc etc... and I got into the bike for 1500, so I do not mind the 650's getting looked over. Properly tuned and set up and it is a nice, semi-strong little motor. i plan to get with Bural this winter to get one of these 650 engines people have been replacing with BMW transplants so I'll have a spare.
I am going to need some convincing to move "up" to a new one. I would rather find a nice /2 rig with a stieb, or possibly something like the focus of thei post. Buuuuut, with the FXB apart in the garage right now, I will not be shopping for anything until after we find a new house with a little more land and a larger garage.
Estamos copados
Old 11-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #29
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReCycled View Post
Quote:

I do know(I've read online) that the later model Urals are the ones to look for, for reliability. I understand have a few items, and engine parts, that have been upgraded. Your saying the older 650's are good to look at? I guess because so many folks shy away from the older ones and go for the newer ones? They would need a little more attention right?
I have been secretly lusting after an inmates Gear up for sale a few hours away from here but it is a 2010 model and I can't afford what he is asking. Heck, I shouldn't be looking at this but you only live once you know.

Worst part is I've really been looking for a KTM990 or a 1150GS! I know....WAY different bikes. I think I'll continue the search.

Here is the link to the bike...

Dnepr

bwalsh screwed with this post 11-11-2011 at 07:31 PM
Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #30
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I do know(I've read online) that the later model Urals are the ones to look for, for reliability. I understand have a few items, and engine parts, that have been upgraded. Your saying the older 650's are good to look at? I guess because so many folks shy away from the older ones and go for the newer ones? They would need a little more attention right?

I like people shying from the 650's. leaves more spares for me.
My first "real" street bike was a 79 ironhead(sportster). The 79 engine was famous for sharing parts with no other years. I spent as much time working on it as riding it. Compared to that, this 650 has been a dream. I will say, it does require attention. The seals on the trans weep, and I am currently chasing down a compression issue that I have narrowed down to a head in need of lapping. Buuuut, with all this I have put over 13000 km on it in 6 months, it has never left me stranded, It has made trips (slowly) to Peoria from Atlanta, and several camping trips around the southeast. I use it as a work vehicle on my land in Alabama where I would have used my 4 wheeler previously.
The newer Urals are definitely designed for a "tinkerer" while the 650's are better left for someone willing to play the part of a mechanic.
Estamos copados