Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #106
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,235
Good crowd. And that's with little or no marketing in Atlanta, a short drive away.

Quote:
Barber Motorsports Park announced its three-day crowd at 81,000, with 52,000 coming out to watch Sunday's feature race.
I'd say this year's Barber race is one of IndyCar's success stories. Great race, well-appreciated.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #107
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,335
I watched some of the race yesterday, mostly 'cause it was at Barber (fantastic track), and there was some good racing, like Marco rubbing and making some aggressive passes.

I do think these new cars are UGLY! And I thought it's interesting that now Lotus is an engine manufacturer; they've always been a chassis builder first and engine builder 2nd. Is this the first time a lotus engine went in a chassis other than a Lotus? Hopefully we'll see some Ford powered cars in the future.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #108
wxwax
Excited Member

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the rear wheel shroud, although for some reason it looked better at Barber than St. Pete. Maybe I'm just getting used to it. Nice to see that the car is sturdy.

Speaking of which, someone waved a magic wand over these drivers and made them stop wrecking each other. St. Pete was amazingly clean. Long Beach will really tell the story. But I can't remember seeing one driver spin out another in either race. Not even Helio.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #109
Ace100
Expert Tomfoolerist

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
I watched some of the race yesterday, mostly 'cause it was at Barber (fantastic track), and there was some good racing, like Marco rubbing and making some aggressive passes.

I do think these new cars are UGLY!
The cars are growing on me. There's a really bad front 3/4 angle that makes them look really out of balance but there's also some very good lines when viewed from other angles. I hope Barber wasn't a fluke because that was a genuinely fun race.
Ace100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #110
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,262
I'm not a huge fan of the new car's look either, but these are beauty queens compared to F1 these days.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #111
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,189
Long Beach
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #112
wxwax
Excited Member

So all the Chevy teams are being told to change engines and take a 10 spot grid penalty. Meanwhile Lotus struggled to bring just one extra engine to the track this weekend. It really puts Bourdais' achievement into perspective.

I think Chevy said the engine management system was off. I wonder if that means the engines were pushed too hard in the first two races? If so, will Chevy's edge now go away?

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #113
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,189
Snafu with the Honda turbos as well.

Here's hoping the race will be good in spite of all the other issues surrounding the event (and series).

I wouldn't mind seeing Marco Andretti take a win at Long Beach, for old times sake. Doubtful, though.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #114
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
Snafu with the Honda turbos as well.

Here's hoping the race will be good in spite of all the other issues surrounding the event (and series).
Interesting issue. This is the kind of wrinkle that makes having multiple engine suppliers interesting.

I hope the race is more like Barber than St. Pete, tho the odds are against it, being a street course. Usually the bodywork is spread all over the track here. Let's see if the drivers can maintain the admirable discipline they've shown so far this season.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #115
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the rear wheel shroud, although for some reason it looked better at Barber than St. Pete. Maybe I'm just getting used to it. Nice to see that the car is sturdy.

Speaking of which, someone waved a magic wand over these drivers and made them stop wrecking each other. St. Pete was amazingly clean. Long Beach will really tell the story. But I can't remember seeing one driver spin out another in either race. Not even Helio.
yeah, i'd rather see "flip up" style body work than that large tunnel, but i think the tunnel is less drag. the wheel guard in the back isn't entirely attractive either, but it does have that prototype vibe from alms.

i think the shortage of parts is helping to keep everyone somewhat calm. once the supply chain fills up it will probably return to the "festival of carbon fibre."

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #116
wxwax
Excited Member

Yeah, you're probably right. Same with NASCAR drivers. They've proven they can race without wrecking when they need to. When they wreck, it's by choice.

One Honda in the top 6 qualifiers. I think maybe IndyCar will let them switch to that mini-twin turbo dealie.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #117
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,628
Quote:
One Honda in the top 6 qualifiers. I think maybe IndyCar will let them switch to that mini-twin turbo dealie.
What if the single turbo has an advantage on ovals?
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #118
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
What if the single turbo has an advantage on ovals?
If the problem is lag, I don't understand why it would.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #119
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,902
Quote:
Yeah, you're probably right. Same with NASCAR drivers. They've proven they can race without wrecking when they need to. When they wreck, it's by choice.

well, i guess i wasn't suggesting it was choice, but a certain level of aggression or restraint, depending upon the circumstances. they do seem to be doing an excellent job keeping the red mist in check.

for now.

the new nbcsports coverage really cuts quite a bit out of the qualifying rounds. three minutes here, three minutes there...

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #120
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,628
Quote:
If the problem is lag, I don't understand why it would.
I'm just thinking out loud. The must be some reason Honda went the single route, while Lotus and the bow tie went with two.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote