Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
It's also a good idea to replace the voltage regulator on many of the GSs. Not a terrible expense or a particularly big job. They are reputed to have bad stators, which is not the case. The VR is a poor design, and will fry a replacement stator as quickly as a stock one.
Out of all four of my GS500s,I have only had two bad regulator rectifiers.I have never had a bad stator.A new universal reg/rect is about $50 and a new aftermarket stator is about $130.Not to bad,it could be worse.The universal FH12 mosfet based rectifier kit ranges from $90 to $140 and will stop the issues with faulty reg/rects burning out the stator.Some people I know have bought used ones off ebay for around $30, and wired them up themselves.I'm not to sure how much I'd trust an ebay unit.

Here are the kits and they can be had cheaper.http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%...rade%20kit.htm
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #17
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,609
Another thought on this would be to pick up a Jawa 350 somewhere over there. Jawas aren't bad bikes at all, will blend in with the scenery, or at least provide their own smoke-screen to avoid detection. When they were available here, they had a small but deeply disturbed following. Downsides are only 23hp and only 4 gears, but I could see worse ways of doing the trip. Recent production looks GS-ish.

They offer a faired model that I'd like to throw a leg over. It's fairly light. Given the hassle and cost of motorcycle shipping, you may come out ahead of the game money-wise.

Most of the roads I was on in the Former Sov were prudent at under 60 mph. In certain places, they'd cut whopping big holes in the road surface (no cones or the like) and up and leave. If you hit them, it was your problem. Oh, yes, and there was the town where someone had stolen all the man-hole covers. That was exciting.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 07:32 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #18
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,231
Yamaha Tenere? 660cc:

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote