Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #46
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Bought the XD3 and like it overall but found the distortion, shrieking visor and fogging disappointing for such an expensive helmet.
I've never noticed any distortion in the shield. If you adjust the visor to the right angle, it won't vibrate. I try to aim it straight/level into the wind. It does fog like London in winter, but the Pinlock solves that admirably.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:17 AM   #47
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I've never noticed any distortion in the shield.
Distortion is right at the nose, where the sharpest curve is on the shield. It really bothered me for the first while but I've since gotten over it (although it is still there). I've never seen one without the distortion, if you have one that isn't keep it forever.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #48
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,190
Yeti, I think distortion affects some people more than others. I have very acute vision and my career entailed utilizing high end optics so less than excellent is pretty noticeable for me.

Most folks say it's only in the lower part and affects the instruments, but that part of the shield is also the part used in slow tricky riding where you need to dab or get a foot down or pick a line in rough rocks and it's pretty disconcerting as you're unsure exactly where you are. Sometimes you can't let go of the bars to flip it open quickly.

The visor whistles pretty good from 60 up, so I have to tilt my head at an odd angle to stop it and on long rides it gets annoying. At least it gives me something to do on long slab stretches

Not slamming Arai, just disappointed that for such money they can't correct some fundamental issues. My $600 XD3 suffers from the same issues a $130 Joe Rocket lid did.
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #49
sashapave
riders on the strom

Oddometer: 1,425
At the San Mateo bike show yesterday I got a chance to try on the new xd4. From what the rep said:

Redesigned shell (looked the same to me)
Enlarged top vents
Better air flow out the back to reduce buffeting
Cheek pads that you can adjust with some kind of peel away system
Visor vents
Something with shield venting and chin cover.

The fit was identical to the xd/xd3. The solid white was pearlescent, reminiscent of shoei in the 80s although I'm told there will be a "fridge white". The black/white multi color was gorgeous and very conspicuous.

Small improvements IMHO but going the right way. I wish it was lighter and had a quick detach visor system, but it's still the best dualie in my book.
“A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.” -Admiral Grace Hopper

sashapave screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 10:49 AM
sashapave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #50
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashapave View Post
At the San Mateo bike show yesterday I got a chance to try on the new xd4. From what the rep said:
The fit was identical to the xd/xd3. k.
I don’t believe the XD and the XD3 have the same fit. So, XD owners beware.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #51
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Sure not significant difference, at least in my experience. My XD and now XD3 (both medium) are virtually identical in fit. If anything the XD3 "might" be slightly snugger, but we're talking maybe .5 - 1mm.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #52
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Yep. My XD was an extra large and my XD3 is a large.

The shells are different shapes.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #53
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
Sure not significant difference, at least in my experience. My XD and now XD3 (both medium) are virtually identical in fit. If anything the XD3 "might" be slightly snugger, but we're talking maybe .5 - 1mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Yep. My XD was an extra large and my XD3 is a large.

The shells are different shapes.
The mediums must be different than the XL/-L.

I found them to be the same fit,like JTT did as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #54
GizmoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I just bought a new XD3 and I think I hate it. The bill/peak/visor vibrates so much behind the windscreen on my Triumph Tiger 800XC and causes such a loud drumming in the helmet, even with earplugs, that I doubt I could stand it for an hour. If I reach up and touch the edge of the visor, it gets much quieter, but I can't ride like that. Standing up on the pegs helps even more, but I think the constabulary will have an opinion about that. Shucks.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #55
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
wanna sell it then?

I'm debating picking up a closeout xd3 or waiting for an xd4. Decisions, decisions...
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L

gots_a_sol screwed with this post 11-21-2011 at 05:38 AM
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #56
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,683
Gizmo... search for threads on the XD3 visor issue. I put black wheel weights on mine and that helped. I also added an aluminum bar bent to fit just inside the lip on the lower side and between those 2 I have not more issues. Oh... I did change shields which made it final. Very nice now with much less noise and no vibrations. Yeah, it was a pain but it works now. For fogging I use No fog stuff and that works for a couple of rides before wearing off. It's that new stuff but can't remember the brand... he was giving some away on ADV for a bit. It works and I have gotten rid of my pin lock on another helmet becasue the defogger works so well. I wonder if the new cheek pads from the 4 will fit the 3? I'll have to look at some to see.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #57
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,716
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Gizmo... search for threads on the XD3 visor issue. I put black wheel weights on mine and that helped. I also added an aluminum bar bent to fit just inside the lip on the lower side and between those 2 I have not more issues..

So a little custom work, or maybe a xd4 visor and a close out XD3 still sounds like a better deal

....at least I hope so since mine will be here tomorrow

I love cool new tech.......I love a deal on proven tech even better

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
FOR SALE 2 KLR650s http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #58
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoRider View Post
I just bought a new XD3 and I think I hate it. The bill/peak/visor vibrates so much behind the windscreen on my Triumph Tiger 800XC and causes such a loud drumming in the helmet, even with earplugs, that I doubt I could stand it for an hour. If I reach up and touch the edge of the visor, it gets much quieter, but I can't ride like that. Standing up on the pegs helps even more, but I think the constabulary will have an opinion about that. Shucks.
Try adjusting the angle of the visor up and down. If I tilt mine so that it's pointing pretty much straight into the wind when I'm looking ahead, it doesn't vibrate.

That's why I got rid of my Shoei Hornet. I could adjust the angle of the visor and it vibrated too much.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #59
sashapave
riders on the strom

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
Should have been more clear, the fit comparison is just my own personal observation, the rep didn't say anything about how the XD/XC3/XD4 compare on fit. I have an original XD and was comparing the XD4 fit to mine, which seem identical (minus cheek pads). When I tried on an XD3 it seemed to fits similarly.

Always safest to try it on first.
“A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.” -Admiral Grace Hopper
sashapave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #60
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Oh... I did change shields which made it final. Very nice now with much less noise and no vibrations. Yeah, it was a pain but it works now.
Change shields? To what? (we are talking about the clear part you look through rights?) Very interested in what you did