User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #136
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
through Oaxaca

At mcdonalds in Oaxaca, a man named Eduardo sees that I am having trouble ordering a hamburger without onions. He intervenes for me, and gets my order straightened out. He sees that I want to get online, so he has the manager find a plug in for me and sets up a wifi connection over his phone. I keep running into people like Eduardo that are so nice to me.
I like stopping at churches to look inside. There are many beautiful colonial churches across mexico. In San Miguel de Allenda, I watched the nuns ring the giant bells by hand.
Attached Images

kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:40 AM   #137
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 03:42 AM   #138
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sometimes I'm a dumbass....

After Oaxaca, I decide to go to the Mitla ruins to see if I can find another free camping spot. I get there about dark, and am not happy to find that the ruins are in town. No worries though, I saw some sort of building on the way in town the looked at a glance like some sort of religious facility. I decide to go there and see if I can hide behind it and make my camp for the night. It looks deserted. I wait until well after dark to setup camp. All seems good, I watch the full moon rise over the cloud covered mountains, and get settled in to continue reading my book. Then I hear a vehicle pull in, and then see the lights go on in the building. Shit!! Maybe they will get whatever they need and go. Just as I get out of tent and am thinking that they may leave, the door by the tent opens and the light goes on. There stands a women with her baby,and her teenage son. Iím setup on the back porch of their house!!! I manage to say ĎHolaí, but thatís all I can come up with. I quickly get out my ipod translator, and after an eternity, itís on and I type in something about being sorry, I didnít mean to scare them, and that Iím willing to pay to stay the night. All she keeps saying is ďmi esposa aqui momentaĒ or something like that, which I interpret as her husband will be there shortly. I pack up camp in record time, and am out of there laughing all the way. I find a place to hide behind a cactus in a farmerís field and go to sleep still laughing about camping at someoneí s house.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 03:47 AM   #139
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

yogurts around the world

,i like trying yogurts wherever I am traveling too. Last year, iin France, I gorged myself on the great yogurt there. The yogurt is different everywhere you go. The weirdest flavor so far is this one.....Pineapple and Celery. Not sure who thought of mixing those two flavors. It tasted as bad as it sounds.....
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #140
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnamhoh View Post
, The weirdest flavor so far is this one.....Pineapple and Celery. Not sure who thought of mixing those two flavors. It tasted as bad as it sounds.....
It also has Nopal which is cactus (Prickly Pear here). Sounds yummy.

That said, Pollo Nopal is one of my favorite Mexican dishes.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #141
Slash1
Glad To Be Here

Oddometer: 72
Subscribed

This really is fun.
Slash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #142
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Great ride report Mark!

It was great fun Riding with you. You taught me how to ride like a hooligan in the city and get away with it. I then showed Fletch and now have him slicing up city traffic.

I think you are now a day or two ahead of me. In San Cristobal now. Gloves were pinched in the square when I arrived last night. Just bought mechanics gloves at autozone. They'll do. I really liked those Klim gloves though.

Maybe seeya in the future! Keep the rubber side down but leaned way over!

(I'll see about getting you those pics)
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:53 AM   #143
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

overloaded KLRs suck in the wind....

The temperature goes from cold to hot to cold again as I travel though different areas. After Oaxaca the wind gets so severe that I have to stop. The tail bag acts like a big sail and itís hard to keep the KLR on the road. I have never seen so many windmill electric generators so thick. I wait for a semi- truck to come by and follow them about 10 feet from the back of the truck in the wind shadow to make it past the windy area.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2011, 02:57 AM   #144
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

repairing the bags...again....

The air has been clean off and on for a the last 2 days. In San Cristobal it is the cleanest yet. Itís a very nice tourist town. I stay at an Israeli ran hostel. So, outside I canít understand the Spanish, and inside, I canít understand the Hebrew. I borrow a drill and fix my tailbag here. The bolts have come undone on my tailbag and it bounces up and down with every bump. On the bigger bumps it pushes my bags into my back. I get it drilled and use the last of my giant zip ties to tighten it down to the frame.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2011, 02:58 AM   #145
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

random burro photo

Attached Images

Old 12-17-2011, 03:01 AM   #146
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

random overloaded truck photo

Attached Images

Old 12-17-2011, 03:04 AM   #147
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the secret waterfall

The hostel host invited me along on the group trip to theí secretí waterfall. He made a big deal out me not showing anybody else where itís at. UhhhÖ.ok, the next time Iím with someone on the most remote road in mexico, I promise to not show them this waterfall..ok?? I am a little hesitant about going since they all usually speak Hebrew. I thought Iíd give it a try, so off we go with me following their vehicle to the camp area. I try to make conversation with the Israeli people, but can only get them talking to me when one of them is alone. The moment someone from the group approaches, they turn to them, start talking in Hebrew, and act as if Iím not there. It happens once, then twice, then a third time. By this time, Iíve had it with them. I donít want to go camp with a bunch of people that wonít talk to me. I get directions to the secret waterfall from the hostel host/owner, and Iím off to find the falls on my own. I did find them, and they were spectacular, especially so since I didnít pay for a tour to get there!!
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2011, 03:08 AM   #148
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

road construction...mexico style

On the way out, I get stuck in road construction. I sit behind the truck for at least 20 minutes in the jungle heat while the road crew talks, goes to the bathroom, and every once and awhile looks back at the line forming and smiles. They are building concrete strips for the cars to drive on out of the mud apparently. They are fun on a bike, and some of them have a least a foot drop off in between them.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #149
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

jungle gas stations

After the secret waterfall, I follow the back road along the Guatemala border toward Palenque. The only problem with this 300 mile loop is that there are no gas stations yet open. You get gas at these roadside Ďgas stationsí. There will be a line of jugs of gas to let you know where the gas is. You pick out the size of jug that you want, and the fuel transfer engineer pours it for you.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #150
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

fill 'er up

Attached Images