User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #181
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
el duce....

I can’t find the road to Coban,so I end up in Rio Dulce. After fighting though a traffic jam, I pull off the underneath a bridge to see if I can find directions to a place to stay from my guidebook.. Turns out that the recommended place in the area is about 100 meters from where I pulled off. It is a hangout for the yachting ex-pats from the US and Canada. There is a good restaurant right on the harbor. In the dorm there is a varied group of travelers, from Sweden, Canada, Taiwan and the US. Stephan from Sweden breaks out a big bottle of rum and we all proceed to get buzzed, talking about our travels and about how different our countries are. I haven’t eaten much more than yogurt, crackers and peanut butter for a few days, so the rum hits hard. We stumble into town for some street tacos…real food!! Yeah!!
Attached Images

kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #182
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #183
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Instead of using cones to warm of hazards in the road, they use rocks or tree limbs as the warning signs….. is that a tree growing out of the bridge, no its just piece of the bridge missing…don’t walk too close cause you might fall through…
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #184
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

schmuck champagne

The first part of the trip here was great. Fast moving open roads….all is good…I’m making great time, and then…
I get lost trying to navigate to Lanquin. There are no signs, and the town where you turn is a maze of one way streets, some of which are completely packed with market goers. I waste at least an hour doing circles trying to make my way toward Lanquin. Part of the problem is I really have no idea how far or where I’m heading other than it’s Lanquin on the way to Chuma Champey (which I call schmuck champagne because i can’t pronounce it correctly.) I ask at a gas station, again, and the attendant says ‘dos horas’ to schmuck champagne. That can’t be right…mr garmin says it’s only 24 miles!! Well, it was at least two hours to go that 24 miles. The first part of the road was paved…and then it turned into very slick and very rough rock and dried mud road, and it’s steep. My brakes get hot and I come within a few feet of running into the back of a truck because I can’t slow down. The whole time I’m thinking that if it rains, I’ll never get out of here….. not long after that, my super slick cruiser rear tire catches a groove in the mud and completely spins me sideways….the overloaded KLR has a lot of top heavy momentum so down we go…..
I make it to the camp before my arms get too pumped up to hold on to the handlebars any more…it’s a great place....next time I’m taking the shuttle bus…
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #185
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 12-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #186
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 640
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #187
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 520
I always thought Touratech aluminum panniers looked pretty ADV, but that Rubbermaid ActionPacker just screams adventure! Enjoying your RR!

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #188
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,548
Thumb

loving the RR man! sounds like a hell of an adventure, can't wait to get down there myself. minus Belize of course.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #189
Mission1
Twisted and confused

Oddometer: 89
Belize

Belize sucks. Spent 8 awful days there. I have been to some really shitty places in this world, but that place takes the cake. I dont get it at all ! It could be totally awesome. . . .but the people there seem to think everyone owes them something.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:42 AM   #190
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

rubbermaid rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwillia View Post
I always thought Touratech aluminum panniers looked pretty ADV, but that Rubbermaid ActionPacker just screams adventure! Enjoying your RR!
Yes...all that storage for $29.99!! Just a little less than touratech!! had to zip tie it back on in San Cristobal...so far, so good!! I think I'll send my photo to rubbermaid...maybe they can start a line of actionpacker for motorcycles!!
Old 12-24-2011, 04:43 AM   #191
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

schmuck champagne

the reason to go to lanquin is it is the village closest to sumac champey….another place that I would have known about if I had read any sort of guidebook before coming here….instead I just ask people along the way what to see….this place is awesome…
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2011, 04:45 AM   #192
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 12-24-2011, 04:48 AM   #193
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the bridge to sumac champey...way fun!!

the bridge to sumac champey...way fun!!
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2011, 04:52 AM   #194
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

to antigua

I try to be a little more prepared today. I took a photo of the google maps directions from lanquin to Antigua. Unfortunately, neither my map or google maps tells me that the road I decided to go on is basically a rough, dirt path through the mountains. I get lost trying to find the road out of the last town where the pavement ends, and end up with a flat tire in the middle of the town market. I start looking for a place to work on the tire and happen across a motorcycle shop. The will patch it for 15 quetzals (about $2). Ok, I’ll stand back and eat crackers while you repair the tube for $2. I get lost again trying to find the right dirt road/highway, and the motorcycle mechanic rides up to show me the way. I followed the dusty road for about 15 minutes and made just a few miles. The map shows 70+ more miles until civilization again. I decided to turn back, I’d never make it before dark, and the idea of getting semi-lost on gravel roads in the back woods mountain roads of quatemala just doesn’t seem very smart.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2011, 04:56 AM   #195
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

:)

random overloaded truck photo....look at the guy hanging off the side!!! i wanna try that!!
Attached Images