User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #211
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
wild west

more random weird stuff from the highway. On the divided section, there were several motorcycles and cars going the wrong way on the divided highway....like i said...wild west and you have to pay attention constantly
Attached Images

kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #212
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

honduras pothole

pothole ...honduras style....yes, that is the river you can see through the bridge....
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #213
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

honduras ambulance!!

honduras ambulance!!
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #214
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

road signs....

‎'which way to la espiranza???? it's very common throughout mexico and central america to i've had the distances marked on the signs increase as i get closer to cities multiple times. maybe the used my model of garmin to figure out the distances, because my garmin does that too!!!
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #215
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wild Honduras

….you never know what you are going to find on the road in Honduras. There are many sections of the road missing like this, with only a few rocks to warn you that you are about to die. Notice the tire tracks going over the rocks!!
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 05:15 AM   #216
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

border crossings

The border crossings really aren’t that bad. You go to immigracion, then to aduanas (customs for the moto), make a bunch of copies, pay around $30, burn an hour…and off you go. It’s not that bad if you keep a positive attitude. At the Honduras-Nicaragua crossing, I took me a little longer because I talked to Alex romero for awhile. He lived in US for 30 years, and is now semi-retired in Honduras. He tells me all about Honduras, things to watch for, and why there is so much security with shotguns/pistols everywhere…..
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 05:17 AM   #217
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 05:25 AM   #218
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i'm going to ride my bicycle....

Each area has their own unique way of getting around. In Nicaragua, its sidesaddle bicycle riding!!. One person peddles, while the other sits sideways on the bike. I see a bunch of people doing this. So many couples riding around like this. I imagine what it would be like to go on a date here……
hi, I kinda like you, would you like to go out to dinner?
Sure….
Ok, I’ll ride my bike over and pick you up at 6ish….make sure you don’t wear a dress, I don’t want it to get caught in my chain!!
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 05:38 AM   #219
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

sorry officer!!!

Nicaragua is a breeze to travel through. The roads are almost usa quality roads. No topes, cows on the road, potholes, busses/trucks coming at me in my lane, etc. it’s nice to be able to relax, keep a constant speed, and look around some. I make great time getting across the country. I am thinking finally, a mellow day without drama, and then…..
I come across some sort of city police checkpoint…..it looks like they are waving me over and I don’t want to stop….so I keep going!! Blow right through at 60mph!!! I hope they don’t chase me!! I speed up a little and hope to not see flashing lights in my mirror. A couple of miles down the road, I come to an intersection with a line of cars waiting at a stop sign to turn onto a different road. I buzz around them, look both ways, run the stop sign and I’m off….i turn onto the new road and run right into…..a policeman blocking my way and flagging me down. Oh shit!!! He asks for my driver’s license….so, I give him my spare Washington driver’s license. He keeps saying ‘infraction’ to me over and over mixed with a bunch of Spanish I don’t understand. I’m just hoping he doesn’t have a radio of some sort and has been told about me blowing through the police checkpoint. He writes me a ticket, KEEPS my driver’s licence, and tells me that I have to go to the transit police in Managua to pay the fine and get it back. The fine is only 300 cordobas (about $15). There is no way I’m burning an entire day finding the transit police in Managua. I guess I have another project for costa rica…make new driver’s licenses!!! I don’t want to try to bribe him or try to pay fine there because I really want to keep going away from the blow-thru police checkpoint….so off I go…only one driver’s license remaining!! I later talk with a fellow motorcyclist….he has 8 spare driver’s licenses he made at kinko’s before he left usa!!!
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #220
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 534
Nicaraguan Policia Transito

I also got pulled over in Nicaragua a little south of Managua by a transit cop on a little 125cc for three infracciónes, supposedly for passing over double yellow lines. Maybe instead of stopping I should have given him a little demonstration of what a bike with ten times the displacement could do. I'll keep that in mind for the return trip.

I too was "fined" 300 coronas but didn't get a nice yellow receipt like you did. Probably because it was really a bribe and the money went right into his pocket. Don't anyone tell those Nicas that 300 coronas is only $13 US.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead

Parcero screwed with this post 12-27-2011 at 01:10 PM
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #221
Mazaev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Hah, I got pulled over in Santiago, panama riding 2-up with a guy I met in Panama city. The cop clocked me at 93 in an 80 zone. Went on and on telling me about all the schools in the area and then sternly read from the law book a list of infractions.

After all that, said it was a $150 ticket that I had to pay before leaving Panama. OR, I could take care of it right then and pay him $60. Talked him down to 40, at which point he slid over the law book and said to put the money between the pages and shot the shit with my Spanish speaking friend about Russian girls and the like. He didn't even bother to look at any of my docs.

Also, I met a disturbed looking couple at Luna's in Panama city that rode bicycles from NYC. They got robbed in Honduras in the worst way... car chased them down, knife to the throat and everything. After it was all over, the locals came by and told them they were super lucky that they didn't get killed and asked, "well, where's your machete?", which explained why he rolled into town with a giant sword-like machete strapped to his bike. "No more bicycle touring for me," the guy said.

Honduras is a mess, but I've also met some of the friendliest and most outwardly helpful people out there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Mazaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #222
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,350
Honestly, that's why I gave up driving in Central America. Had to "mordida" (little bite) bribe my way out many times in different countries. Got tired of that shit. How some riders make it through without getting stopped I will never figure.

In Costa Rica the cops said I was speeding, talked him down to $30 from a ticket, court date and general PITA. Nicaragua, same deal, can't remember how much it cost. Even in Bangkok we slipped the cop 200 baht and he waved us on. Part of the adventure I guess.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #223
NIXHD
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cool2 Let's B Careful out there

Love your adventure, but I'm gonna give you Some Fatherly Advise: You had better chill a little or your going to end up in jail. Odd's are you will meet up with the wrong cop, and you will be so fooked. Lett'r rip on the road, but showem a little respect in town. Hunter Thompson you ain't.
I'm just concerned for your safety, and would like to see you return without a pesky jail sentence interrupting your travels.

Save the testosterone for the chicks.

B&B
NIXHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #224
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,721
lovin the adventure man, keep it coming!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #225
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

my best memory of Nicaragua....good roads finallly....i was routinely dragging the ba

my best memory of Nicaragua....good roads finallly....i was routinely dragging the bags in the corners...woohoo....it was so fun. I'm loving this good pavement after 9,000 miles of crap.....
Attached Images