ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #421
XTWalt
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 32
Free camping at the police station. Well done!
XTWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #422
auSTer
Gray Wolf
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 7
Your reports are fabulous, and no doubt great reports are in the making. We're proud of you.
Via con Tania, Via con Dios.
__________________
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. " ~Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
auSTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #423
shovelmike
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 88
Great stuff

I am really enjoying your ride report, just the thing to get me through this Missouri Winter.
shovelmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #424
DC950
Microadventurer
 
DC950's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Memphis, Motorcycle Purgatory
Oddometer: 2,726
I am so going to miss laughing every time I see your ridiculously overloaded bike! I have to know though, did you ever used all that crap you carried to Argentina?

Have fun!
__________________
God. Family. Motorcycles. Guns. Music. Books. Dogs. Beer. Baseball. Work. That about covers it.


DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #425
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kramnamhoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: the road
Oddometer: 312
not quite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950 View Post
I am so going to miss laughing every time I see your ridiculously overloaded bike! I have to know though, did you ever used all that crap you carried to Argentina?

Have fun!

I didn't use the blender near as much as i hoped too....but damn, I made some good margartitas when that thing came out of the action packer!!!

I made it through without using the spare tubes or other spare parts for the bike...other than that, I used everything else....
kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #426
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Packer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Scotland, wonderful biking when it's dry (rarely)
Oddometer: 333
I have new respect for the Kawi. I'm sure that if I loaded my 1150GS like that a broken subframe would follow in short order.

I wish you well for the next phase of your adventure. From the pictures I'm not surprised that you were in a hurry to get to BA.
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #427
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kramnamhoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: the road
Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer View Post
I have new respect for the Kawi. I'm sure that if I loaded my 1150GS like that a broken subframe would follow in short order.

I wish you well for the next phase of your adventure. From the pictures I'm not surprised that you were in a hurry to get to BA.

the KLR is a tough bike!!! I ran into some gnarly potholes, open man hole covers, curbs, cars, trucks, dogs, people while fully overloaded and the bike never hesitated...

...and it ran ok at almost 16,000ft!!!

I'll miss that moto.....
kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #428
2WheelieADV
Gnarly Adventurer
 
2WheelieADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 240
For some reasons, the majority of travelers choose BMW GS's (from 650 to 1200) and until they get to Argentina they make a numerous dealer (stealer) stops in-between, plus all sorts of road repairs.
Yet Jap bikes are so low-maintenance. Are they really more reliable than the German bike, and the bimer is just a trend, or is there something else in there?
2WheelieADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #429
Mission1
Twisted and confused
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Sweeping up enchantment
Oddometer: 89
[QUOTE=kramnamhoh;17946128]the KLR is a tough bike!!! I ran into some gnarly potholes, open man hole covers, curbs, cars, trucks, dogs, people while fully overloaded and the bike never hesitated...

...and it ran ok at almost 16,000ft!!!

I'll miss that moto.....[/QUOTE ]
Your a nut job for sure ... But I like it cause thats probably how I would do it. Good on you man . . . your living your dream . Now lets hope that woman thing works out. Oh . . and stop looking so happy in your pictures. Your pissing me off !
__________________
Do it right or go home!
Mission1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #430
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kramnamhoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: the road
Oddometer: 312
BMWs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelieADV View Post
For some reasons, the majority of travelers choose BMW GS's (from 650 to 1200) and until they get to Argentina they make a numerous dealer (stealer) stops in-between, plus all sorts of road repairs.
Yet Jap bikes are so low-maintenance. Are they really more reliable than the German bike, and the bimer is just a trend, or is there something else in there?
Every BMW rider I talked to on this trip had what I consider a major repair along the way (except for the Dakar 650, it was just shedding parts like a molting bird sheds feathers.) There were GS 800s with blown engines, bent rims, blown shocks, screwed up electronics, and an intake system that fell apart and got sucked into the engine.

they ALL had their bikes into a dealer at least once trying to get things fixed.

kramnamhoh screwed with this post 02-10-2012 at 07:32 AM
kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #431
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kramnamhoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: the road
Oddometer: 312
Buenos Aires....the Paris of South America.....

Buenos Aires....the Paris of South America.....

Some of the old parts of the city do look at lot like Paris....












kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #432
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kramnamhoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: the road
Oddometer: 312
tango in the middle of the widest avenue in the world!!!

tango in the middle of the widest avenue in the world!!!







kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #433
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kramnamhoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: the road
Oddometer: 312
what

what tango is supposed to look like....

kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #434
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kramnamhoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: the road
Oddometer: 312
The best of times in Buenos Aires....

The best of times in Buenos Aires....





kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #435
Enduro10
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Enduro10's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Brazil, Southern State
Oddometer: 185
Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnamhoh View Post
Every BMW rider I talked to on this trip had what I consider a major repair along the way (except for the Dakar 650, it was just shedding parts like a molting bird sheds feathers.) There were GS 800s with blown engines, bent rims, blown shocks, screwed up electronics, and an intake system that fell apart and got sucked into the engine.

they ALL had their bikes into a dealer at least once trying to get things fixed.
I've traveled 32.000 Km in the last year with my BMW G650GS (Argentina, Uruguay and Chile) with no issues to complain other than a bad battery. Even if it is a BMW you must give some maintenance. They are good but not undestructible.
Nice trip of yours, enjoy Argentina.
__________________
2014 BMW F800GS Adventure
Enduro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014