User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #61
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Out of gasÖ..

The KLR is sucking down the fuel with me trying to go fast into the perpetual headwind. I call it the perpetual headwind because everywhere that Iíve ridden for the last 3 weeks has been into a strong headwind. When I rode it this summer, I could easily get around 50mpg. Now, Iím down to just over 30mpg. Not good. I run into reserve several times at under 150 miles. I run out on reserve on one stretch too. No worries though, I lean the bike over to the left to get to the fuel that is on the lower right part of the tank, and Iím off to the Pemex station that is only about 1km away. The fun starts when I get there and find out that they are out of gas too. I can understand the attendant telling me that there is no fuel, but he also keeps saying 5 minutes. Not sure what that means, but Iím waiting to find out. Not that I have much of a choice. So, I decide to practice some of the basic Spanish that I think I know on the fuel transfer engineers while Iím waiting. I really should have tried harder with the Pimsleur CDs because they have no idea what Iím talking about. Time to break out my jibbigo voice recognition translator. I try to say ďhow long before fuelĒ into my translator. Jibbigo hears ďhow long before she is?Ē and some other nonsense about a monkey. It makes for good times though while we are waiting though.
After about 45 minutes of them saying ď5 minutosĒ, the pumps come back on and Iím back in business. By this time, Iíve gathered a small crowd. They all go back to their business, except for one guy. He stands closer to the KLR than I am while pumping gas, and watches what Iím doing. I finish filling up, and pay , and he is still there. Uhhh, dudeÖ.youíre in my personal space. I just smile at him as I sling my leg over the KLR and almost kick him in the stomach. I fire up the KLR, smile at the space invader, and off I go. You better back up space invader, there is a 100lb saddlebag coming your way!!
Attached Images

kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #62
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bribing the sercurity guard

I really should have read that date of publication of my camping guidebook earlier. I find out the hard way that 6 year old camping guidebooks are not the best source of info. The first rv park no longer takes tents. No worries though because there are 4 more down the road. I program in the gps coordinates, which shows my destination as somewhere out in the ocean, and off I go. The first campground is a large condo complex, and then the second one is too. By this time, itís well after dark in Mazatlan, and I really donít want to pay for a hotel. Anyway, 3rd time is a charm and I find an RV park that will take tents. At least, I think it allows tents. The security guard just smiles a lot and lets me in. Good enough for me.
I set up camp, and then am off to get some dinner. I buy the security guard a coke. I figure that might help him stay awake and watch over the place, and me and my stuff, better. I do understand that the office opens at 8am and that I will find out the price then. I plan on being long gone by then, and have a plan with the security guard.
In the morning, I figure out how to say ďI pay youĒ to the security guard. I go up to him and say ď yo compra ustedĒ. He looks at me with a serious look and says ďdos ceintos pesos.Ē Thatís way too much. I offer him ďun ceintosĒ (100 pesos), and his big smile gives it away. This negotiation is over. He puts the money in his pocket and off I go.

I meet up with some fellow adventure riders in Mazatlan. They marvel at what is the ďoverloaded KLRĒ. I deliver the extra set of brake pads that I picked up for them in Phoenix, and we talk about the direction we are going. They are going inland, and I am headed down the coast for the next few days. We are both heading toward mexico city and then to Belize. Iíll be a day or so behind them in Mexico City, but should catch up by Belize.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #63
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

leaving mazatlan

I decide to take the Libre south out of Mazatlan toward Tepic. I was told by a friendly motorcycle rider at the RV park in Mazatlan that it wasnít that bad with traffic. It doesnít start out well though. The route I take is blocked and diverted into the city. So, itís two lanes of traffic moving forward, which goes back to one lane if someone is coming the opposite way. Itís dirty, bumpy, rutted, filled with rocks and chunks of concrete, and packed full of vehicles jockeying for position. Maybe the toll road would have been a better idea. It ends quickly, and Iím off towards Sayulita.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #64
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i love sayulita

Ahh, I love this place. I set up camp right next to the beach, under the shade of palm trees. I think Iím going to stay here an extra day and just relax.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #65
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

ants marching

At night, there is a path of some type of ants that are hauling fingernail size chunks of leaves from a tree about 100ft away to their ant holes. Itís kinda fun to watch the leaves move across the field in a big line. Just keep going to your ant hole and stay away from me and my tent little ants. Thank you very much.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #66
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

c'mon kawasaki

I am going to fix my headlight and safety wire my saddlebags into shape while Iím here. The headlight adjustment is a pain in the ass. Címon Kawasaki, just put a screw adjuster accessible from the outside of the bike, will ya? Anyway, I first take off the fairing to adjust the headlight, but have no idea if I am going the right way, because the headlight comes off with the fairing. Eventually, I figure it out and adjust it all the way in the downward direction. Itís late by the time I get around to thinking about testing it, and I donít want to. So, hopefully it doesnít just shine on the ground in front of me. Itís got to be better than it was.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #67
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

70 mph everywhere

Before this trip, I had the thought that I would mostly obey the speed limit, so I don't get pulled over. I pretty much tossed that out the window within an hour of crossing the border. I essentially go an indicated 70mph every where. On the toll road...70,,,, In town...70,......giant speed bumps....70......vibradores to slow people down...70. I really like the speed bump sections in small towns that are there to slow people down. They bunch up the cars and make it really easy to pass a bunch of cars at once, all the while going 70mph.

Note....the guy next to the tope is selling parrots. Honey, I think I'll go out to the speed bump and buy a parrot. Every large speed bump has someone trying to sell something. On the way to Puerto Vallarta today, there was a big back up because a guy with a wheelchair had set up some cones, and was sitting in between the lanes with a cup begging for change. Try that on a main 2 lane highway in the usa!!
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #68
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

exotic travel

Travel to exotic locations...eat at Carl's Junior, shop at walmart, and stop by home depot.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #69
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

walmart done better

This walmart had very pretty young women giving away free samples ala Costco. The ice tea booth was playing Guns and Roses really loud...inside Walmart....next to the grocery section. That is something I'd like to see at Walmarts in the USA.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #70
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

everything moves a little slower in mexico

it took over an hour (!) just to get 2 meters of safety cable and a set of clamps. I guess I should get used to that since things will only take longer the farther south I go. Still sucks.....
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #71
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

prune yogurt

I hope I don't regret eating this later!! I do have a supply of industrial strength stop-leak pepto, so no worries.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #72
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
The USAF did that to me.

I fell for the USAF did the same thing to me I was sick and they made up write up by the mere fact they wrote them up is all that mattered they didn't have to prove anything and after 2, years and a text book full of write ups they finally got what they wanted me out before my enlistment, but they didn't get me as badly as they thought, because it was general under honorable. I ended up getting help and going on to college and getting a bachelors degree and today I'm a free man something that never would be in the military especial enlisted, when God in some way i was lucky because i din have to choose should i stay in should stay in it was clear you not staying in and had been able to choose even though i wasn't really happy just for being used to and not knowing outside i might have stayed in. They actually did me a favor wish they had gotten me out sooner.
flightestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #73
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
Envy

I'm sitting in SE Missouri, lucky guy you are. I wear that same helmet. Hope the wind changes direction and gives you a push. Good luck. Oaxca in your future?
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #74
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oaxca?

Hey Lucky Chucky,

What is in oaxca? I was planning on seeing the Colima volcano on my way to Paricutin. Then to San Miguel de Allende, then to Teotihuacan north of mexico city. Is there something really cool that I am missing?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #75
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
The Beaches

The beaches are super! I will try to spell the beach's name in Oaxaca, Zipolita??? Also, I enjoyed Puerto Escondido. I spent three weeks between the two places. I had the most fun down in Qaxaca at Zipolita. I'm sure the spelling is way off. They have hammocks set up on the beach for cheap. It's cantina lifestyle at it's best. I think December is the best weather for being down there. Cover your ass with lots of sun-block. When I got home I had burnt skin peeled off my ass about 3in high. Butt, you'll love the beaches in Oaxaca!!!
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote