User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #121
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
does this hat make my head look fat??

does this sombrero make my head look fat?
Attached Images

kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #122
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

check me out giggling japanese girls

check me out giggling japanese girls...
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #123
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #124
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

first flag....14 to go !!

fist flag....14 to go.....
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #125
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

monarrch butterflies

Today Iím off to meet up with Quinn from Calgary to ride around Mexico City with. Our first stop is the Monarch butterfly wintering grounds outside of mexico city. We make it there and donít have a lot of time left to hike up there, but decide to go for it anyway. While we are locking up our bikes there are several kids, one woman and one pesky guide that wonít take no for an answer, surrounding us as we lock up our stuff. We start at somewhere around 10,000 feet elevation and hike over a mile to over 11,000 feet to the butterfly area. We find a homemade sign with arrows on it that seem to point both directions and something about butterflies on it. We walk down the hill for another forever (about a half mile), with the only thing we have seen so far being a couple of butterfly wings in the road. We decide to turn back and try the trail by the sign. By this time, Iím getting really worried about our stuff still being there when we get back, and am really hurting from hiking so hard at over 10,000 ft. Finally, we find the butterfly area. They are so thick on the tree branches that they are weighed down. There are probably millions of butterflies in that area. On the way back, we see that we walked right though the butterly area without even knowing it.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #126
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #127
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

for a while...this is all we thought we were going to see
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #128
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

When we get back to the motorcycles, we find that our stuff is completely untouched. Most of the people are gone, so we pack up for the ride back to the last little town in the dark. Once we get to back to the pavement, Quinn realizes his tire is flat. We try to go for a bit but itís too flat to keep riding on. Quinn gets ready to pump up the tire by hand, dude, WTF?? Iíve got a 12v air pump in with all the shit on the overloaded KLR. So, we pump up his tire and he is off to town with the slow leak. I pack up my stuff and head slowly toward town on the curvy mountain road with my headlight still shining too high up in the air. The trees are pretty to look at going by, but it sure would be nice to see the road once and a while. If I think I see something in the road, I hit the front brakes hard and the headlight will shine on the road for a secondÖ.
We find a small hotel in the town, and I become the official translator for the two of us since I have the voice recognition translator on my ipod. Itís called Jibbigo and it comes in very handy during this whole ordeal. We manage to get the room for a lower price, a secure place to park the motorcycles and to repair the flat tire. The room is interesting. The floor slopes at least 10 degrees from one side to the other, and the bathroom has a toilet/shower combination. The shower head is next to the toilet, so you could potentially be taking a dump and taking a shower at the same time. Itís really not a bad ideaÖ. Maybe that will catch on in the usa somedayÖ..In the morning, itís really cold outside, and almost as cold inside the room. We had to give a specific time for hot water to the hotel owner, and about 15 minutes before that time I can hear them up on the roof turning on the hot water heater. Not sure this mechanism works because I have warm water for about 60 seconds before it getís ice cold again.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #129
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #130
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

/

it's so cold inside this room....
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #131
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

bags on ground

Today was the best day of riding so far. Decent pavement and some fun twisty roads over a pass that was right at 10,500ft high. I get the overloaded KLR leaned over far enough that the saddlebags drag on the ground. Once, it was hard enough to make the rear end slide out for a momentÖ.. I get a little sick to my stomach after that, but after a few minutes am right back to charging down the mountain.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #132
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the traffic sucks

We also have to navigate some heavy city traffic today. As we are edging through the jam, I accidentally rub my bags along at least five different cars and trucks. Iím sure some folks are not going to be too happy about that Ö..
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 04:30 AM   #133
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

sometimes a gps is your friend

The navigating is very easy for me these few days. . Quinn has a gps of mexico which makes life easy. I can just follow along and think about whatever. Before this trip, I felt like my mind was clear. I had processed many things from my past and had an open, clear mind. All that has changed. I have many thoughts of what my future my look like. Some things have happened that have brought into clearer focus what life potentially could be like. What I see is more than I had dreamed possible, and am very excited about the possibilities. I am trying to convince Quinn to ride with south America with me, but have no luck. Travelling together has definitely been easier on me. The route we take would have been ultra difficult to follow without a gps.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 04:34 AM   #134
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

free camping!~

We setup camp in a field next to some Incan ruins. During the evening, we feel the 6.8 earthquake that was in Mexico City. What is really cool about that is that we can hear the rumbling as the earthquake passes by. We can see the Puebla volcano in the distance. Photos donít capture how big the volcano looks like in person. We ride into the ruins before they are officially open.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 04:37 AM   #135
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

alot of beetles

I decided to count Volkswagen beetles todayÖ.in Spanish. Itís great practice for me. I saw un ciento trienta sieta (137) beetles today.
Attached Images