Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #31
WoundedKnee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
It's early morning in Spring 1982 in rural England and I'm riding my CB250RS to college, about a 30 minute ride. At one point the country road I'm on meets up with a somewhat larger country road as it goes over the Malvern Hills near British Camp. The junction is tricky as both roads are going uphill and the smaller road curves sharply to the left.

Since the trees make it difficult to see traffic on the main road I've adopted the (good) habit of stopping before turning. Unfortunately because the road slopes steeply uphill I've also adopted the (bad) habit of putting my left foot on the curb when I stop.

Until this morning, when I missed.

And my left foot slips between the bike and the curb while the bike & I perform a graceful slow roll to the left. What is especially clever about this is the way I trap my left foot between the bike and the curb without actually breaking anything but leaving me (almost) totally immobile.

As fate would have it the next vehicle that happens along is another motorcycle. The rider's offer of help is embarrassingly declined - "No, no I'm fine. Thanks.". Fortunately I'm young and have just enough upper body strength to lever the bike up a couple of inches to get my left foot out.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #32
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,904
Wink

All good funny stuff. Thanks for the additional tales guys!

....after leaving my KTM on the battery tender all night I took the time today ( all 6 minutes of it) to rewire the grips to a switched power lead. )
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #33
maraisrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Great tales everyone, I'm having a good chuckle at your expence!
My proudest moment (so far...) was pulling up to a motocross race on my KLR, lots of people watching me, many that knew me, and putting my foot down only to realize I was on a down slope. Over I went!
I'm waiting for it to happen again on my GSA. It's only a matter of time and way more bike to lift...
2013 Arctic Cat XF800 (6 months of winter)
maraisrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #34
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Laugh

For further irony, I also own a KLR650 that I fly, ride, store, fly home, repeat. It currently has somewhere in the neighborhood of maybe 50k on it and has managed to stay upright the whole time I only make sure to dump the shiny bike at home
Old 11-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #35
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Gee, you boys have lots of great stories! I must have a good story for this great thread somewhere:

1974; I'm a PT salesman at Grand Prix Cycles in Fremont. We just took delivery of the very first KX125 race bike in CA and racing people knew we had it. A mom calls from Sacramento on a Saturday and wants to bring her MX prospect son to see it on Sunday at 11am for a private session.

They show up in their Ford Country Squire and I was ready for 'em. There was a grocery store parking lot across the street out the back door of our service bays. The store was shuttered so I decided to use the empty parking lot for my test track. There were two light standards that made perfect apexes for a little short track to run around. 3rd or 4th gear maybe. The pavement had a lot of silt on it too. It was enough to get a feel for this strange new MX bike nobody had ever seen.

My plan was to ride a few laps and turn it over. I fully expected the bike to be sold. It was such a hot looking thing with that pale green tank.

I gave them the techno pitch and they followed me out of the service bays to my 'test track' rolling the little KX. At the time, my race ride was a Penton Six days with the Sachs motor. This new KX was totally different and much more refined! The power was so manageable. After a few laps, I found the bike lapping faster and faster, with beautiful slides magically controlled with my right wrist like I knew something. I'd never had such a sensation and I was emboldened by it...

After awhile I thought I was Don Castro and full of confidence sliding that KX 125 around those light standards. In a monster brain fart, I fired off my dirty little short track out of the parking lot and onto a city street behind the shop. I cranked it left and added all the power. The back end came around beautifully and promptly shot me into a monster high side! It was a freakin' yard sale...After everything stopped, there was a trail of parts and I was bleeding through my torn clothes.

Mom and son never said a word. They just crawled into their Country Squire and drove off.

I am forever puzzled why Ian MacLachlan didn't fire me on Monday. Instead he had me fix the bike.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #36
r77toy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I just sold my business and decided I would take the morning off to have some coffee and read a book. Ironically, I decided to read the "Long way Round" since I have heard it is better than the show.

Should have read Long Way Down.

I
r77toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #37
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Well, I figured I would start with the first one.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #38
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,473
I'll share mine, well, the recent one;

Two weeks ago, I go trail riding. There is fresh snow on the ground (in spots), and water puddles in places where there should be none. The second large puddle (about 30ft long), gets the better of me and I stall the bike in the middle of it, while at the same time I hit the bank with my front wheel and end up lying down on my side in water, with air temp 0f just under 40F. Anyway, I push the bike out as best I can while trying (helplessly) to stay dry. Once I'm out of the water, I try to kickstart the sucker, and nothing happens. After many, many tries whatever caused the short is finally dry and the bike starts. I'm sitting there, holding the throttle and trying to catch my breath, my right foot on the ground as I am about to put my left foot up on the peg. Somehow, I miss the peg and kick it in first gear, clutchless, with high idle. Bike jumps up and I pull a one handed wheelie while my left hand and left foot dangle in the air. Somehow, I managed to grab the bar just before hitting a tree and I was able to stop. But that was one funny wheelie.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #39
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 528
Bluhduh

Mine was not so dramatic. On a 78 CB750, smoothly glide up to a red light next to a car that had cut me off up the road. I had already given the one finger salute and made my opinions clear. So I slow to a stop, shift down into first, and go to put my right foot down and it won't go down. It's off the peg but I couldn't get my foot down because I had the kickstart lever up my pants leg. I didn't figure that out until I tried forcing my foot down and tipped the bike over on my leg, and the whole thing fell over. There I was, leg stuck under the bike, lying on the road.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #40
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,744
Went out to the garage to sit on my RF900 just to see how she felt for a minute. Retracted the sidestand and rocked 'er back and forth. Set it smartly back down on the sidestand...which was still retracted. Left leg got crushed between the bike and a metal toolbox about mid-calf during tipover. It bled internally for a few days with the blood puddling down in the ankle.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #41
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,073
I don't wander out of my local thread much but I had a get-off a couple weeks ago that bruised more ego than anything. I was running single track with the local ADV group and I was in the back on my CRF250. There were some decent little mud holes so I was popping the front and wheelieing through them. We come around a corner with a couple puddles lined up. I roll the first one and wheelie the second just in time to see the line of bikes stopped to make their way one at a time through a huge mud hole across the trail. I braked hard and slammed the bars left bringing the front end down and shooting off the side of the trail. The bike had no intention of stopping nearly as fast as I wanted it to so I grabbed a low branch and let the bike go. I managed to land on hands and feet with no forward momentum and the underbrush slowed and stopped the CRF. The guy in front of me said he felt a slight nudge on his rear tire and then saw me shoot into the woods. Broke a throttle cable adjuster and my pride
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #42
NewHampWoodsRider
Tag Captor

Oddometer: 447
Thank you for making me laugh this morning!!!!!!!!!!

Any pictures?? LOL

I had a similiar experience at the end of a work day, coming out to find the bike dead.
Took several attempts to bump start across a flat parking lot.

Was a bit entertaining since I was wearing a suit during business hours and was ATTGAT minus my jacket while bump starting.
Shirt and tie blowing in the wind, MX riding boots, pants and helmet running across a flat parking lot... LOL

NewHampWoodsRider screwed with this post 11-17-2011 at 08:17 AM
NewHampWoodsRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #43
ogklx400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Starbucks

Iv never seen a ktm at a starbucks? I have a pic in my head of a 950 just leaving a football field long patch in the grass with the rear tire then the ktm dude just pulls into the starbucks like it was just a normal thing for him or her to do. So what do ktm rider order when drinking at starbucks?
ogklx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #44
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,081
Great stories!

Around 1977 I proudly rode my new (to me) R90/6 over to the local bike shop I hung out at. Several of the guys were outside having a smoke break. It was a left turn into the driveway. I did a slow turn and just fell over...the R90 sat there rocking a bit on the cylinder head...and all the guys laughing and giving me an ovation for a job well done....

Just flashed back on that shop...BMW, Honda, Yamaha, Husquaverna, Hodaka. Kinda crusty with bikes crammed into the sales floor....sure miss those old shops
Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #45
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogklx400 View Post
Iv never seen a ktm at a starbucks? I have a pic in my head of a 950 just leaving a football field long patch in the grass with the rear tire then the ktm dude just pulls into the starbucks like it was just a normal thing for him or her to do. So what do ktm rider order when drinking at starbucks?
Strangely, not much. I eat "Paleo" (cave man hunter gatherer stuff) So no dairy or grains. Which is about 98% of what Starbucks sells. Just coffee, tea or water!

(probably why I like the KTM, it's kinda caveman stuff itself)

Starbucks is a good place to read, email, surf adv and people watch.