Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 02:33 AM   #16
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 750
UFO or Acerbis I would think... im sure there are others too!
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #17
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,712
Order up a KTM supermoto fender. They look cool and are reasonably priced. Then find an 01-02 GSXR 1000 muffler. Very light and not obnoxiously loud.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
malokam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbingfire View Post
lol its in the works! just trying to find what will work for both the motor and the frame!
Get the Sarachu cans. They sound mean as hell. I know they are dual casn but they have a really slim body.
You can probably double them up one above the other on the DR exhaust side..

Just an idea..

2007 DR650 SuperMoto with almost all the goodies..(it never ends ya know!)
Take a look at my cool sticker-bombing project
malokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
I'd love to see a video of this thing rolling. as a Dr owner I'm VERY intrigued. Looks bitchen.
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #20
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,658
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

http://www.kientech.com/DR650ProdList.htm

Also checkout DRriders.com and the DR section @ Thumpertalk.

I have a DR650 and a Ninja 500 and have given serious thought to doing the same thing.

My big question is about tire clearance at full stuff. The Ninja engine is a bit longer than the DR's... looks like you're using the Ninja radiator too.

And about tying in the top of the engine to the frame. My 500 has no provision for any sort of bracket, did you come up with something or did you just skip it?

Other things that have made me hesitate... IIRC the 500 puts out around 52 HP stock (vs 42 for the DR with pipe and jetting) and it really likes the stock airbox (it's highly tuned from the factory with almost ZERO room for getting more out of it). Since you can't use the stock box, you're loosing power. Same thing with the exhaust, unequal length headpipes into a small midpipe... power penalty. (I'd really like to see a good pic of the pipes on your bike!)
But here you've done it and you say it runs great... I was thinking the HP loss would make it not worthwhile. Damn it, I'd like to see your bike firsthand!

Not knocking your build at all, glad to see someone do it.

You really need to post a video of that beast in action!
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #21
climbingfire OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
its all good! we have the header in a shop getting remade! better welds and bends! should pick up on the HP for that! other then that i want to get it on a dyno! with the shocks we put a heavy wieght oil in the forks to help with wieght but nothing hits and i jumped it out at the ORV! im moving to the bay area next week if anyone in the area wants to show me the area!
climbingfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #22
climbingfire OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
best pic i could get! that was first attempt! looks better now! and will look better when we get it back from the shop! and the welds on the plate coming from the head tube are all clean now to! both stock rear motor mounts lined up! didnt do much back there ither then a few spacers!
Attached Images

climbingfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:41 AM   #23
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,145
I would like to see close pictures of the airbox mating, if possible.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #24
dflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Great project/job. I hope you plan on posting many more details, specs. and pix because the interest level should continue to grow over time. I know I'll be watching with interest.
dflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
cr@xrjunkee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
look at this muffler combo for better flow and lighter weight.
01-02 gsxr 1000 muffler with different mid pipe
http://kientech.com/DR650GSXRExaust.htm

https://docs.google.com/present/view...44j_68fdsm79hf

dr650 mods
http://kientech.com/DR650ProdList.htm
cr@xrjunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #26
malokam
Gnarly Adventurer

No offense to anyone but I dont understand why people are suggesting DR specefic exhaust systems. The engine is of an EX500 and you better look at what is good for that engine.

Also, +1 on whoever said you need to look into Airbox mod. Though the EX500 puts out 54 HP, there is not much you can do to increase the ponies on it because unlike most low cost stock bikes, the EX is highly tuned straight from the factory. So by ignoring proper airbox configuration, you will be loosing ponies instead of gaining.

You can research all you want on the internet and look into various resources but there is not much you can do to increase the HP of this particular engine (Without making it a ticking time bomb) or spending a fortune, which would defeat the whole purpose.

IMO just research some EX500 specific cans and make your own mid pipes for it. (Sarachus are good)

EDIT** ADD**: 54HP is still plenty and pretty effing awesome on a DR. Because for you to get approx that much power on the DR engine, you need to do Hi-Comp piston, 780 Bore kit and 190 web cam.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #27
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,077
Everyone is suggesting DR muffler upgrades for more flow and because the position the muffler mounts to on the frame.If it doesn't fit the frame then that means more head aches.All the mufflers I have seen mentioned are capable of easily handling the little EX500 engine.Easier to make a mid pipe to connect the muffler to the header.I know he is building a header.It's easier to work to a known end,rather than work to and unknown point in space.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
malokam
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Everyone is suggesting DR muffler upgrades for more flow and because the position the muffler mounts to on the frame.If it doesn't fit the frame then that means more head aches.All the mufflers I have seen mentioned are capable of easily handling the little EX500 engine.Easier to make a mid pipe to connect the muffler to the header.I know he is building a header.It's easier to work to a known end,rather than work to and unknown point in space.
My understanding is, if you know a welder, a custom job (a decent looking one) wouldnt cost more than $100-$150.
Using a tested and reliable muffler for that engine is better than using something else just because it would fit IMHO.
He is making the header anyway and unless he makes the header end exactly where the stock DR header ends, he is going to have issues with fitment.

But you do have a good point there. Hope everything works great for him.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #29
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,145
I really like this bike.

I can see the trouble with the fender in the original location, it looks like it would hit the radiator, right?
Old 01-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #30
elefantmans
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
couldnt you just use a KLE500 headers,same motor !
elefantmans is offline   Reply With Quote