Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16Viper68 View Post
Ok, today was about getting the fork seals replaced. As you can see below they've been leaking. ;D

Everything came apart pretty easily.

When I pulled off the dust seals I discovered I was in for a battle. The c-clips were rusted in there pretty good. I scooped out as much of the gunk I could, blasted it with air, and soaked them in PB Blaster for about six hours. After wrapping the fork tubes in blue painters tape I started tapping the clips with a drift pin to see if I could break it loose. After much fighting was able to remove the clips and washers.

Removing the seals was accomplished by blocking the air hole, filling it with ATF fluid, and using a wood clamp to compress the fork which brings the seal up to the top.

Despite my efforts the seals still came out crooked (not as crooked as the pic. That's after prying for awhile) so I spent about 30 minutes prying them out.

The longest part of this job was the polishing and buffing. Holy crap getting those DoD sticker off was a MoFo. I have a lot to learn about polishing but I think they look better than they did when I took them off the bike. ;D

Dave...
After removing keeper rings, seals are easily removed by removing the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg that
holds the innnards together (best done with an air impact wrench), then pop the tube and seal out by collapsing
then extending the fork like using a slide hammer...., for next time.
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #17
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleDoc59 View Post
After removing keeper rings, seals are easily removed by removing the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg that
holds the innnards together (best done with an air impact wrench), then pop the tube and seal out by collapsing
then extending the fork like using a slide hammer...., for next time.
Funny you mention that. I was working out a few hours ago wondering why I couldn't have done that. Because there's a bushing under the back plate (under the seal) which should pull the seal out if you perform the slide hammer action.

I was following the service manual so I wonder why they advise you to use a press?

Dave...
Old 11-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #18
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
I'll be following this thread to get your impressions on performance.I think I test road one back in the late 70's,early 80's and eventually wound up getting a used 79 CB750K.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16Viper68 View Post
Funny you mention that. I was working out a few hours ago wondering why I couldn't have done that. Because there's a bushing under the back plate (under the seal) which should pull the seal out if you perform the slide hammer action.

I was following the service manual so I wonder why they advise you to use a press?

Dave...
Donno; I've done quite a few w/the "slide hammer" trick - regular and upside down types. There is a sorta
fun alternative on bikes with air forks, like a KLR; after removing oil and the keeper ring, they blow out
with air.....
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #20
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
I'll be following this thread to get your impressions on performance.I think I test road one back in the late 70's,early 80's and eventually wound up getting a used 79 CB750K.
I'm hoping to have it on the road by the end of December. A few things left to do (e.g. rebuild calipers, rebuild master cylinder, check the timing, fix intake boot leak on #1, sync the carbs, get the tank painted, replace the tires, etc)

Ok, maybe check back in January.

Dave...
Old 11-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I had a few hours to kill this morning so I decided to disassemble the steering stem and checking the bearings. When I started to remove the handlebars I noticed the movement left and right wasn't smooth at all. As a matter a fact it felt like there was a "dent" position when the bars were centered up. Yeah....feeling of dread closes in.

I pulled the stem apart I counted 18 balls for the top bearing and 15 (wtf) for the bottom. According to all my manuals there's supposed to be 18 on the top and 19 on the bottom?!?! So where the hell are the missing four? They aren't on the garage floor before you ask because I searching to ensure they didn't drop plus I would have heard them drop.

The races look good so I just need to find four ball bearings.

Well I found a package of 100 ball bearings (1/4" steel/chrome) on Amazon for $5.00 shipped so I'll just have to wait till those show up before I start putting everything back together

Well since I now have some time before I can put the steering stem back together I'm probably going to take the headlight bucket apart and clean it up as best as I can. I'll also use the time to start rebuilding the calipers and master cylinder which is going to be a joy.

Dave...
Old 11-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #22
Quickv4
Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer: 550
Oh no, MISSION CREEP!!

watch out brutha, you will have the whole bike taken down to the frame and the engine rebuilt if you keep this up..

lol been there done that

As long as you got the head stem apart, I suggest you replace those ball bearings with tapered rollers. I did it one my 700 Sabre, and it made a huge difference in how solid the front end felt!

www.v4hondabbs.com
Quickv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #23
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickv4 View Post
Oh no, MISSION CREEP!!

watch out brutha, you will have the whole bike taken down to the frame and the engine rebuilt if you keep this up..

lol been there done that

As long as you got the head stem apart, I suggest you replace those ball bearings with tapered rollers. I did it one my 700 Sabre, and it made a huge difference in how solid the front end felt!
Mission creep is so damn hard to avoid but I'm trying. Yeah it's going to go down to the frame once I get everything mechanically sound.

Right now I'm just trying to get most of it cleaned up and road worthy. The tapper bearings will go in when I get the frame blasted/painted aka next year.

I've got the steering stem back together (new ball bearings) now I'm just waiting for some chrome to finish soaking and the paint to dry on the master cylinder. Oh yeah I need to rebuild the calipers.

Dave...
Old 11-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #24
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

I made a little progress during the holiday break.

I basically took it from this.

To this.

Before

After

I still have to figure out how to to put all this back in the headlight bucket.

Dave...
Old 11-30-2011, 04:01 AM   #25
KeithTurk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
The 650 is the last version of what started as the cb500 and morphed into the 550's.... though I've owned one I'm not really sure how good they are... the 550 on the other hand is a rock solid bike...so I suspect these are a much refined version with at least enough power to be something....

I've actually done quite a bit of touring on my 550's...simply a cheap bike and a lot of fun.... good luck with this ...
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #26
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Today I put the headlight assembly back together. Man, getting all those connectors back in there and making enough room for the headlight itself... I'll admit a tool or two went flying.

I started to rebuild the calipers when I ran across this. Son of a.... So anyone know where I can buy pistons cheap?

Dave...
Old 12-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #27
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTurk View Post
The 650 is the last version of what started as the cb500 and morphed into the 550's.... though I've owned one I'm not really sure how good they are... the 550 on the other hand is a rock solid bike...so I suspect these are a much refined version with at least enough power to be something....

I've actually done quite a bit of touring on my 550's...simply a cheap bike and a lot of fun.... good luck with this ...
I haven't read too much about the CB650 (not a lot out there) but what I have read has been positive. I can't wait till I get it to a point when I can ride it.

Dave...
Old 12-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #28
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,940
Ship Fitter's Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickv4 View Post
Oh no, MISSION CREEP!!
I'll have to remember this new term; I've always called it ship fitter's disease. Actually they both are pretty descriptive. Been there, done that....
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #29
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
I'll have to remember this new term; I've always called it ship fitter's disease. Actually they both are pretty descriptive. Been there, done that....
From the web. http://www.retro.co.za/landy/shipfitters.html

Mark asks: What is "shipfitters disease"?

(an example:)
Well, it's a nice day to work outside, and that cleat is loose, so I'll just tighten the screws. Oops, one is stripped, so, to do it right, I'll remove the cleat and see what the problem is. Oh, dear, dryrot!! Well, it's only in this one plank, and I can easily replace it. Gee, all the screws are loose, better replace the whole frame while I'm at it. Oh, shoot, I'll have to take out the wiring harness and chain plate, well, the wiring harness really needed to be replaced anyway, and now's a good time to get that chainplate regalvanized. Fooey, now it won't match the other-ones, so I'll just do allof them, won't that look nice. And since I'll have to repaint the newplanks, I might as well do the rest of the hull or it won't match. And theshiney hull will really make the cabin trunk look chalkey, and I really wanted to strip and varnish it, so what better time? And since it'll be out of commission for at least a week, and I'll have to take out the cabinets to redo the wiring properly (all those funky splices can finally go), I can redo them at the same time. Gee, with all that room, and nothing to get dirty I can finally pull the head and find out why the engine's been burning oil. I'm sure the shop can have it done before the cabinets are ready to go back in. In fact, this may be an opportunity to rebuild the bottom end, after all, it's 30 years old and bearings and rings will never be easier to put in. I could even paint the block while it's out, and galvanize the through-hull fittings, paint the bilge, and get that new pump for an early Christmas present, maybe new sails to go with the new paint, revarnish the mast, replace the sticking sheave while I'm up there, maybe a new antenna, or at least the coax. Heck, the radio's as old as the boat, and since I'm this far into it.....
Old 12-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #30
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Well my new brake pistons from David Silver's (UK) arrived while I was away on business. So today I started disassembling, cleaning, and painting the calipers. I hope to have both sets primed before I get on a plane tomorrow evening

Dave...