Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #31
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Oddometer: 826
Well after a lot of cleaning, more cleaning, and painting the calipers are done and installed.
I started with this.

In progress

Finished project

Sorry for all the pics but this was a long process.

Dave...
Old 12-18-2011, 06:33 AM   #32
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,212
Sorry for all the pics? No way! The more pics, the better.

Looking good. Keep up the nice work.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #33
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

The latest task was, as mentioned above, swap out carb insulators, bands and replace the push/pull throttle cables. After I rebuilt the carbs I noticed the insulators were leaking. The leaks were discovered by spraying starting fluid on the insulators and listening for a change in RPM. #1 and #3 were leaking really bad and as you can see in the photos below it's surprising they weren't all leaking.

New parts! I was surprised that the insulator bands did not come with new screws. I know this shouldn't have caught me off guard but it did. It worked out in the end because I was able to find some nice stainless steel hex bolts at ACE Hardware.

Slowly but surely I'm making progress with the carbs.

Before:

After:

Last night I adjusted the cam chain tension (dead simple), lubed the advancer, set the pulser generator gaps, and set the timing statically and confirmed dynamically. I also tackled the task of sync'ing the carbs.
I so wish I had done more research on Motion Pro's SyncPro. What a PITA that thing is with this bike and maybe every bike. The fuild gets trapped and segmented making it nearly impossible to use (IMHO). I was able to finally get it so I could work with it but it shouldn't have been the hardest part of the sync. I think the 650 pulls too much vacuum for the device. I so wish I'd gone with the Morgan at http://www.carbtune.com. It's just a bit more and gets MUCH better reviews from the folks at SOHC and in cyberspace.

Next up...new tires! I decided to go old school.

I'm also in the planning stages of figuring out how to paint the gas tank and side covers.

Dave...
Old 12-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #34
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
You are doing a nice job on the 650. Looking good so far. I would have recommended you replace the head bearings and races while you had it apart, but too late now!

I had a 79 CB650 ( the standard version) and I remember that the engine was extremely smooth, sounded great and had a very nice powerband. Once you get it going I think you will like it.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #35
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
You are doing a nice job on the 650. Looking good so far. I would have recommended you replace the head bearings and races while you had it apart, but too late now!

I had a 79 CB650 ( the standard version) and I remember that the engine was extremely smooth, sounded great and had a very nice powerband. Once you get it going I think you will like it.
Thanks! Yeah, a few folks suggested I switch over to tapered bearings but I knew this wasn't going to be the only time I had the steering stem off. About a month after I get this thing mechanically sound and ridable I'm going to strip it down to the frame for sand blasting and paint. That's when I'll knock out the bearing upgrade.

Off to the garage to continue my efforts to strip and paint the tank.

Dave...
Old 12-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #36
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
To make things easier with your M-P Sync-pro, place some restricters in the rubber tubes. You can make these by boring a small hole in a piece of aluminum or brass round stock that fits in the tubing. The smaller size of the hole cuts down on the vacuum and makes adjustment far easier.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #37
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
To make things easier with your M-P Sync-pro, place some restricters in the rubber tubes. You can make these by boring a small hole in a piece of aluminum or brass round stock that fits in the tubing. The smaller size of the hole cuts down on the vacuum and makes adjustment far easier.
It came with some nice brass restrictors but I guess they don't restrict enough. How that thing didn't go flying across the garage is beyond me. Some folks say they work great and others have experiences similar to mine. Personally, if I had to do it again, I'd buy the Morgan.

Dave...
Old 12-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #38
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

The last few days have been about prepping the tank for paint. I picked up the tank below on eBay because the tank that came with the bike was too gone to restore. This one was bad but I was able to clean it out with muratic acid and seal the tank with the POR-15 process. The exterior of the tank was in decent shape. It has a few small dents and someone hit it with a few coats of rattle can sometime in the past.

I tried some paint stripper to see what would happen. I discovered it would take the rattle can primer and paint off quickly but did nothing to the 18 layers of paint under it.

After playing around with a few different things I discovered a 6" orbital sander with 80 grit worked pretty well at getting the paint off.

You can see the biggest dent in the tank in the center of this photo.

After a lot of sanding and a few hours in front of the grinder with a wire wheel.

Tonight was my first foray into the wonderful world of Bondo Body Filler. I was able to skim coat and sand out the dents. Luckily I was able to get it all done with two coats. I came within a hair of getting away with a single coat but I needed a bit more to fill in one of the dents.

Some time in the next few days I'm going to try my hand at applying DupliColor's Paint Shop Finish System (e.g. primer, base coat, and clear coat).

Dave...

F16Viper68 screwed with this post 12-26-2011 at 07:28 PM
F16Viper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #39
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308
You are really doing a great job rebuilding that CB650! Nice layout off the parts of kitchen paper!
(also my first motorcycle! Drove like a rocket i remember...)
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #40
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunow - 007 View Post
You are really doing a great job rebuilding that CB650! Nice layout off the parts of kitchen paper!
(also my first motorcycle! Drove like a rocket i remember...)
I've heard nothing but good things about the motor on this bike. I can't wait to get the tank done. Once I get the paint job knocked out (so easy to write and so hard to do) and the tires swapped out, I can take this thing for a ride around the block.

I didn't plan on this thing being ridable until the Spring so I'm a bit ahead of schedule.

Dave...
Old 12-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #41
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Ever get into something and realize it would have been easier just to pay someone? Well I guess if I just paid someone I wouldn't have been able to justify buying this.

I thought about setting up a paint booth in the garage but I decided to take a different route. Actually to be honest, I stuffed that sucker in the garage but I couldn't get it fully setup because it hit the ceiling. So outside it went. I tacked up tarps on two sides to ensure no overspray hit the house. I also put up the screen enclosure to cut down on the wind, bugs, etc.

After playing with the settings on the spray gun I was able to able three coats of DupiColor's gray primer (ten minutes in between coats per the directions). I don't have alot (any) experience with this type of painting but IMHO it seem to go on pretty smooth.

After about an hour I moved the pieces into the garage. I decided against leaving them outside overnight.

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to shoot the base coat and clear coat. From what I read DupliColor's clearcoat will not resist gasoline so I ordered a 2K clearcoat (SprayMax Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat) from R&E Paint.

Dave...
Old 12-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #42
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,189
Following your thread with interest. Nice work. I can't have a bike right now because I'd be doing what you're doing and I'm already doing it to my Volvo.
The carbtune unit worked well for balancing the throttle bodies on my Wee Strom and I've adapted it to the twin carbs on the 1800S. It was a good purchase.
I lived aboard my sailboat in Apalachicola and had home care patients in Crawfordville, so it's familiar territory.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #43
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Following your thread with interest. Nice work. I can't have a bike right now because I'd be doing what you're doing and I'm already doing it to my Volvo.
The carbtune unit worked well for balancing the throttle bodies on my Wee Strom and I've adapted it to the twin carbs on the 1800S. It was a good purchase.
I lived aboard my sailboat in Apalachicola and had home care patients in Crawfordville, so it's familiar territory.
Thanks! It's beeen a learning experiences that's for sure. Funny, I can't stand working on cars anymore. I did it for a living back in the late 80's and ever since I've found it revolting to work on cars. I was surprised when I started riding four years ago I actually liked working on bikes.

The other bike in the stable is a 2008 Wee. Too bad I can't sync the throttle bodies. I guess they changed something in 07 or 08 which stops you from sync'ing without a computer.

Sailing abroad to Colorado? That's certainly a switch.

Dave...
Old 12-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #44
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

I decided to forego shooting DupliColor's clearcoat since I'm going to applying SprayMax's clearcoat...once it shows up. There's some orange peel but honestly since I've never done this before I have no idea if it's too much for the clear to cover up. I've heard some really good things about SprayMax's 2K clearcoat so I'm hoping for the best. I like doing things right but I also have to realize this thing isn't going in a museum or a motorcycle show.

Dave...
Old 12-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #45
btretired
anal retentive

Oddometer: 1,029
Patience Grasshopper..

Good Job Dave-- I got some 3 levels that need some training-- can I drop them off to you??

"00" Road King (105K and climbing)
yeah I own a Harley
"01" 11Fiddy GS-
btretired is offline   Reply With Quote