Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #46
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by btretired View Post
Good Job Dave-- I got some 3 levels that need some training-- can I drop them off to you??
Grasshopper has learned a lot of patience since Kunsan AB, 1995. In 1995 this project would have never happen.

Dave...
Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #47
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

The last few days have been about getting the clearcoat on the tank, new petcock installed, restoring the tank badges, getting the new Bridgestone Spitfire S11's mounted/balanced, and disassembling the rear end (e.g. sissy bar, grab bar, chain guard, shocks, rear fender, tail light, etc) for clean up.

The SprayMax 2k Clearcoat (Gloss) is simply an awesome product. I was very surprised how well a rattle can clearcoat can look.

I had some issues getting the bead set on the rear tire but nothing some lube and 50PSI couldn't fix. :) The front was kind of a PITA too because I couldn't get it inflated without strapping the tire and removing the valve stem core. They balanced up with no major issues.

Everything is finally coming together. I was able to take it out for a ride around the neighborhood this afternoon. ;D ;D ;D First time this bike has taken to the road under its own power in ten years.

It rode really nice but I need to do some work on the front brakes, I'm not sure the V-Strom master cylinder is cutting it. Also the engine is missing while cruising in 2nd or 3rd gear (2.5k RPM to 3k RPM) but accelerates very smoothly.

Still a lot to do (e.g. reassemble the tail light assembly, fix the horn, restore the side cover badges, etc) but it's rideable!!!!

Oh yeah... it used to look like this.

Dave...

F16Viper68 screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 07:15 PM
F16Viper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #48
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Oddometer: 7,518
Will you be riding down to Angelos for a victory dinner?
What do you think of the painting unit you used? That paint does look nice.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #49
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Will you be riding down to Angelos for a victory dinner?
What do you think of the painting unit you used? That paint does look nice.
Remember that place do you? Nah, that place is for tourists and folks heading to St. George Island. Good food but really, really expensive.

I still need to get the thing registered, insured, and need to figure out if the front brakes are working as good as they should. I'm going to ask the folks over at SOHC for their experiences with the feel of the brakes.

I was worried about the amount of orange peel on the base coat but that's probably more my painting technique vs. the DupliColor. The clearcoat was awesome and saved the day IMHO.

Dave...
Old 01-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #50
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16Viper68 View Post
that place is for tourists and folks heading to St. George Island. Good food but really, really expensive.

I still need to get the thing registered, insured, and need to figure out if the front brakes are working as good as they should. I'm going to ask the folks over at SOHC for their experiences with the feel of the brakes

Dave...
An evening ride from Apalach to Angelos for dinner was a nice, relaxing time but I suppose it cost them a lot to rebuild after the hurricane. Buying shrimp off the boats when they landed in Eastpoint was the best bargain.
What sort of brake issue are you having? Is it something that might be helped with steel braided lines?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #51
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
An evening ride from Apalach to Angelos for dinner was a nice, relaxing time but I suppose it cost them a lot to rebuild after the hurricane. Buying shrimp off the boats when they landed in Eastpoint was the best bargain.
What sort of brake issue are you having? Is it something that might be helped with steel braided lines?
Yes, you're correct their prices went through the roof post rebuild. Don't get me wrong one of the best pieces of Grouper I ever had was at Angelo's. It's just expensive.

I'm having some issues with the feel of the front brakes post rebuild. I used a master cylinder from my V-Strom and I'm not sure the brakes are working as well as they should.

I don't think ADVRIDER allow cross linking so I'll PM you the link for the thread I have going over at SOHC.net.

Dave...
Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #52
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Quote:

I'm having some issues with the feel of the front brakes post rebuild. I used a master cylinder from my V-Strom and I'm not sure the brakes are working as well as they should.
Dave...
The Wee Strom brakes were among the best in my experience. I wonder if bleeding the bejesus out of them would help? I recall that we used to bungee the brake lever overnight to hold pressure in the system and force every iota of air out.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #53
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
The Wee Strom brakes were among the best in my experience. I wonder if bleeding the bejesus out of them would help? I recall that we used to bungee the brake lever overnight to hold pressure in the system and force every iota of air out.
I didn't like the OEM brakes but they weren't that bad. I just wanted a bit more bite which I why I upgraded them to 4 piston calipers.

I've done that (squeezed the brake lever) overnight with velcro tape. But I had a bleeder bolt at the master cylinder. I don't have one, yet, for the Honda.

I ordered the screws I need to complete the rebuild of the OEM Honda master cylinder. We'll see how it performs.

Dave...
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #54
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Great rebuild...she looks great. IMHO the one Morgan Carbtune I've used didn't work very well. It dampens the vacuum better, but after about 2 years, the stainless "pistons" started to hang up. We've pulled it apart, cleaned it, tried light oil and it still hangs up. I've killed three mecury vacuum guages in 20+ years and although they are a pain (tubes crack, big variance in reading at idle with dampeners in place and air in the column), they seem to give the most consistant reading. Or you could just switch to twins and use a twin max...That was my solution.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #55
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomd View Post
Great rebuild...she looks great. IMHO the one Morgan Carbtune I've used didn't work very well. It dampens the vacuum better, but after about 2 years, the stainless "pistons" started to hang up. We've pulled it apart, cleaned it, tried light oil and it still hangs up. I've killed three mecury vacuum guages in 20+ years and although they are a pain (tubes crack, big variance in reading at idle with dampeners in place and air in the column), they seem to give the most consistant reading. Or you could just switch to twins and use a twin max...That was my solution.
Thanks, it's certainly been an interesting experience. It sounds like they all suck. Crap, why don't they make a QuadMax?

Dave...
Old 01-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #56
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Just to clarify my experience with the Morgan carbtune unit; I've owned mine for 3 years and it lives outdoors in an unheated shed. No problems at all with it and I'd buy it again.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #57
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Just to clarify my experience with the Morgan carbtune unit; I've owned mine for 3 years and it lives outdoors in an unheated shed. No problems at all with it and I'd buy it again.
The Morgan seems to be the better choice when you have to choose between the MotionPro and the Morgan.

Looking forward to taking this thing for a long ride this weekend. Have insurance and should have a plate tomorrow.

Once I figure out the miss and get the front brakes nailed down I'll be all set for a month or two.

Dave...
Old 01-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #58
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Quote:
The Morgan seems to be the better choice when you have to choose between the MotionPro and the Morgan.

Looking forward to taking this thing for a long ride this weekend. Have insurance and should have a plate tomorrow.
Dave...
Where will you be heading?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #59
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Where will you be heading?
Not very far away in case things don't go right. :) If the weathers okay I'll take out the Wee too.

Dave...
Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #60
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Quote:
Not very far away in case things don't go right. :) If the weathers okay I'll take out the Wee too.

Dave...
Hope all goes well. Maybe down to Carabelle for a milkshake?