Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #76
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post

That is one sweet looking motorcycle my friend.

Dave...
Old 02-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #77
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,400
I'm quite enjoying this little build! She's certainly a very different bike now, looks fantastic!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #78
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,273
Can you recommend a bike shop in Tally where I might find touring pants? We leave here about mid-morning on Friday.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #79
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Can you recommend a bike shop in Tally where I might find touring pants? We leave here about mid-morning on Friday.
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier! Not that I had any advice.

Dave...
Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #80
Hytram
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16Viper68 View Post
Yep, I agree they are swelling a bit under braking. Someday I'll pony up for stainless lines.

Dave...
I have a 79 CB900 that had the same problem, bled the sucker about a dozen times, tried the master cylinder of my V-strom and nothing fixed the problem..

on one of the last bleeds I had my hands on the brake hose and could feel it expand in my hand.

I had been given an unwanted set of braided lines from friend and tried those, fixed the problem beautifully.. 30 year rubber lines just dont cut it!!

great resto BTW
Old 06-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #81
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

It's been a while since I last posted to this thread because I haven't had much time lately to work on the girl. Work has been taking up a lot of my free time the past few months. Since my last post I've been in no particular order: Houston (2x), Philly, NYC, Washington DC, London, Miami, Tampa (2x), and some other places I'm sure.

I've taken the bike out for some longer rides and she's still hesitating around 4k RPM in 5th gear. Weirdly enough the hesistation isn't really noticeable 1st thru 3rd gear. I notice it a bit in 4th and quite a bit in 5th. This issue is going to have to wait until the Fall when it cools off.

I was able to finally get around to restoring the CB650 badges on the side covers. It took me a while to find paint I could work with and a red I liked. Turns out Testors makes a red I like. :)

I was also finally able to get around to swapping out the chain and the mirrors.

Right now I'm trying to clean up the kickstand via electrolysis and wire wheel.

When the rain finally stops (dealing with Tropical Storm Debby) I'll remove the WD-40 (coated so it won't rust), primer, and paint.

Dave...
Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #82
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Amazing what primer, paint, and a clearcoat can do.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #83
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

It's been awhile but I've decided it's time to take this project to the next level. The frame, swing arm, and other pieces are in need of restoration. So today was dedicated to taking the bike down to the frame so I can get it to a powercoater this week.

Started with it looking like this.

In progress shots:

This is where I've decided to stop for the night. If not, I'll need medical attention.

Dave...
Old 03-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #84
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Everything came back from the powercoaters this evening. It looks pretty good IMHO. I did discover during the process I going to have replace the races in the steering neck. The chrome surface was wiped out during the sandblasting process. Also the rear shock bushings in the swingarm were destroyed during the baking process. Both parts are on order and have shipped. I can't wait to start putting this thing back together.

Question - I'm going to take the cylinder head off to replace the head gasket and the oil seals but I'd rather not taking it down any further simply because there's no need. The compression is good and it's not leaking. Anyone ever paint an engine without taking it fully apart?

Dave...
Old 04-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #85
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

The reassembly has begun. I'm trying to get back to a rolling chassis before I forget where everything goes.

New springs and plastic cover for the centerstand.

I made a mistake when I took the front end apart nearly in one piece. It was never going back together that way so I had to take it apart off the bike...not fun.

The front is pretty much back together minus the headlight glass.

Before (rear brake pivot):

After (rear brake pivot):

Rear swing arm, shocks, and rear tire installed.

This is my stopping point for tonight. In the next few days I'll work on the air box, battery box, rear fender, and tail light assembly.

Dave...
Old 04-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #86
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Looking good!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #87
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Looking good!
Thanks! Still doing battle with my carbs.

Dave...
Old 04-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #88
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Okay, I've got a rolling chassis again. I've put as much back together as I can without putting the engine back in. I'm mulling over what to do with the engine at this point. I need to take it apart enough to replace the head gasket and o-rings to address an oil leak. I'm mulling over take it all the away apart so I can properly paint the engine.

Thoughts from the collective?

Before:

After:

This one is prior to pressure washing.

Dave...
Old 04-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #89
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
The after shots look soooooo much nicer. As far as the engine goes, do you really want to disassemble the entire thing just to paint? Obviously you could do a better job that way but I think you can do a nice job with it assembled. It might take a lot more work to clean and prep but just take your time. It's really all your call though. What do YOU want to do?
Old 04-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #90
F16Viper68 OP
Trapped in the Sandbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
The after shots look soooooo much nicer. As far as the engine goes, do you really want to disassemble the entire thing just to paint? Obviously you could do a better job that way but I think you can do a nice job with it assembled. It might take a lot more work to clean and prep but just take your time. It's really all your call though. What do YOU want to do?
I think I'm going to take the head off, clean it up, prep, and paint it mostly assembled. If it does't look good..then I'll take it apart.

Dave...