Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #16
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
Why do you need this info?
Coz otherwise you can't get any sleep wondering about it.

2006 Piaggio X8 250ie (like a fat-bummed Vespa GTS that weighs 175kg+).
Only got 0-60 times though:-
stock ...... 14secs.
stock with 145/70R12 rear tyre (raises gearing 7%).........14.6secs.
The add:-
Dr Pulley race variator and 15g sliders, Malossi spring seat, Polini yellow clutch springs, 1 x 1/2" extra hole in airbox........9.8secs.
WOO!HOO! Under 10!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
ohiotj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Thanks for the post ohiotj. I've been looking at the Brown Co scooter drags on line. Wish I was a little closer, I'd like to check it out in person. Was the PCX stock? Can you give me the 60' times on the PCX? A few years ago a friend's son ran a '87 Elite 150, got 13.408 @ 47.884. Rider was a lightweight, maybe 145#. Never did run my own Elite 150. Ran my Kymco GTi 300 a couple weeks ago. 11.358 @ 60.008. Just got done lightening the rollers in it, will take it up to my top secret test sight tomorrow.
Getting back to Brown Co., do they have any Maxi scoots show up? I would like to see #'s on anything.
As far as I know, the PCX was stock outside of a custom paint job. Just pulled my time slips, and it looks like the one time I was paired against a PCX in practice, it had a 2.849 60', a 13.447 1/8 mile, and the trap speed was just a smidge under 47 MPH. Not surprising to me. More powerful than an Elite 150, but they also weigh more AFAIK.

Haven't seen any maxi scoots yet, but if my towing rig is finished in time, I may be hauling my Elite 250 there for Twist and Gone in October. It's got a bit of bearing noise (I think in the final drive), and I don't want to risk the 150 mile ride. Next year, I may build a dedicated drag scoot in addition to the Ruckus that is in late planning stages right now.

The fastest bike out there is nominally an old Elite 50, but mostly its a tube frame setup, with a stock front panel, and an engine that's been punched out to 130cc. He ran an 8.908 in the final round last weekend.
ohiotj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,219
Zing!

A fellow out at our local strip was telling us about a built up 150 that shows up and was turning low 9's. That is something we both would like to see. It even started a discussion of reviving an Elite 150 to do a "skelly" job and go crazy tuning it just for grins.

Nice to know the times for the PCX 150. I have a 125 model and was wondering the times it might yield, especially to see what the difference might actually be compared to the 150.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #19
Yellow Jacket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Glad to see some life in this old thread. Ohio, thanks for the post. What year is your Elite and does it have any work done to it? I've had two Elite 250's, '87 and '89. For some unknown reason the '87 was MUCH faster off the line, 2.585 in 60' and the '90 could only muster 2.945 even after I drilled out the rollers. Both had the same top speed. Never did figure out why the big difference. Both bike are now sold.
Had my Kymco out today for a test ride after drilling the rollers, MUCH faster off the line, About 4/10th sec. in a uphill 100 yards. Right now I don't think there is a showroom stock single cylinder scooter that will keep up with it.
As for that supposed GY6 in the low nines, well, after almost 50 years of 2 wheeled drag racing I've learned not to believe every story you hear. A two stroke, yes, 4 stroke, well ??? as they say, show me.
Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
Yellow Jacket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Modnrod, We don't have the X8 here, is that the same as the BV250 which we do have? My '06 ran 12.344 @ 54.232 bone stock, 11.808 @ 56.538 with light rollers and heavier clutch spring. Loved the bike but love my Kymco even more.
Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #21
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Modnrod, We don't have the X8 here, is that the same as the BV250 which we do have?
Yep, same engine/trans stuff, except heavier and a 12" rear tyre.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #22
ohiotj
Adventurer

The Elite 250 is an 85, all stock except for Dr Pulley variator, clutch, and 21g sliders. All of that was mainly replaced due to worn out parts. I suspect it'll run the 1/8 somewhere in the thirteens, its definitely quicker than the buddy now, just not sure by how much. I'd like to get it out there just to see how it does, since the engine is going to be transplanted this fall, either into the Ruckus, or a tube frame drag scoot.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #23
ohiotj
Adventurer

Twist and Gone races are tomorrow! I've got my trailer almost finished, so I need to push to get it done tonight, then I can load up and haul the Elite 250 out there and see what it does. I'll be trying to line up against as many stock-ish scooters as possible during the practice runs, so I can get their times on my timeslips.

I pulled the top box and windscreen off the scooter, to drop some weight, and maybe get improved aero. I'm in a bit of a money crunch right now, so I am thinking instead of swapping the engine into the Ruckus, I may start stripping down the Elite over the winter, and make it a dedicated drag scoot, until I have the funds for both the Ruckus swap, and a new drag bike. Another possiblity is seeing if I can dig up a a non-running older 50cc scoot for a song, and transplant the 250's engine into a lighter frame.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,702
I have never seen a scooter at the dragstrip. I drag race cars (currently an S10 truck) and it runs in the high twelves. It has a well built 4.3L V6, with a four barrel carb and race cam, and also has a 4:10 Posi rear axle. It has been built to the point where it's drivability on the street has been compromised. It has a 5 speed manual and Centerforce clutch. Because the redline has been increased about 1500 RPM, and the powerband has been moved up in the RPM range, you have to rev it up and slip the clutch leaving a stoplight on the street, and blip the throttle to shift gears. It also has a max cruising speed of 55 mph in fifth gear, due to the lowered gearing. Only the first 3 gears are used on the track.

The most important part to getting good times on the dragstrip is a good reaction time at the light. That's where many amateur racers blow it. My Vulcan 750 runs very close to the same times as my truck, high twelves. I'm assuming you mean 1/8 mile for a 150cc scooter running in the nines. A stock GSXR 1000 runs mid tens in the 1/4. And the CVT transmission of a scooter would further limit it's acceleration. Some beginners run fully automatic transmissions, but most others who run automatics use manual valve bodies, so they can be shifted manually, at or near redline in each gear.

There is no way to calculate what any vehicle would do in the 1/4 mile based on 1/8 mile times. What happens in the second half of the run is completely different from the first half.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #25
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,226

Prepare to launch !
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #26
ohiotj
Adventurer

Got some more 1/8 mile times.

My lightly modded Elite 250: 2.584 60', 11.975 @ 53.39 MPH
I suspect a stock one would run low to mid 12s.

A Piaggio MP3 250: 2.853 60', 12.193 @ 55.09

Vespa GTV300: 2.609 60', 11.620 @ 56.63

Given about 100 more feet, I'm guessing the MP3 would have caught me. I think the weight of both bikes handicapped them on the start, but more power resulted in their higher trap speeds. The Dr. Pulley clutch probably helped my launch a bit, too.

The Vespa knocked me out of my class race. In King of the Hill, I ended up paired off against a souped up Cushman in the first round, and it ran in the 9's.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #27
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

Prepare to launch !
HAHAHA! Cool.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
There is no way to calculate what any vehicle would do in the 1/4 mile based on 1/8 mile times. What happens in the second half of the run is completely different from the first half.
Generally a conversion factor of 1.58 is used, but actual times can vary from 1.5 to 1.6 depending on the vehicle.

Eg, if your S10 does 12.9, then the time on the 1/8 should be around 8.16.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #29
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
I have never seen a scooter at the dragstrip. I drag race cars (currently an S10 truck) and it runs in the high twelves. It has a well built 4.3L V6, with a four barrel carb and race cam, and also has a 4:10 Posi rear axle. It has been built to the point where it's drivability on the street has been compromised. It has a 5 speed manual and Centerforce clutch. Because the redline has been increased about 1500 RPM, and the powerband has been moved up in the RPM range, you have to rev it up and slip the clutch leaving a stoplight on the street, and blip the throttle to shift gears. It also has a max cruising speed of 55 mph in fifth gear, due to the lowered gearing. Only the first 3 gears are used on the track.

The most important part to getting good times on the dragstrip is a good reaction time at the light. That's where many amateur racers blow it. My Vulcan 750 runs very close to the same times as my truck, high twelves. I'm assuming you mean 1/8 mile for a 150cc scooter running in the nines. A stock GSXR 1000 runs mid tens in the 1/4. And the CVT transmission of a scooter would further limit it's acceleration. Some beginners run fully automatic transmissions, but most others who run automatics use manual valve bodies, so they can be shifted manually, at or near redline in each gear.

high 12's and barely driveable on the street? Sounds like you should have went with a car instead of a truck, high 12's is pretty slow.

stock gsxr 600's run mid 10's but drag racing a sport bike is sort of a waste of what the bike was intended for unless someone just took it out to the track for the hell of it.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
The most important part to getting good times on the dragstrip is a good reaction time at the light.
Completely wrong. You can sit at the green light as long as you like if you're only worried about your ET's(like a test and tune night, run what you brung, whatever) not the actual race.

The timer doesn't start until you roll off the front beam, just like when you have to cross onto the beam to start the tree.

A good ET, comes from a good 60 ft time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
high 12's and barely driveable on the street? Sounds like you should have went with a car instead of a truck, high 12's is pretty slow.
First, sounds like this guy doesn't know what hes talking about. 4.10s aren't a ton of gear on the street. My sisters s10 came with 4.10s stock. No idea what that babbling was about and the transmission. Id imagine that's all motor times. Not too many cars NA will run in the 12's. (excluding v8 performance cars) The 4.3 heads definitely hold the motor back. Its a good truck motor, not the greatest performance motor platform. And, as I said, launching a truck for a good 60 ft time, let alone a stick shift truck, isn't the easiest.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote