Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #16
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,404
In progress (posted in the other thread). Santa brought me a handlebar brake master. I wonder if my MiL had any idea what it was.

To get it to fit, the stock assembly needed to be modified. What it mostly looked like (for those unfamiliar):

After a little zen time with the dremel:

For those debating between the Nissin/Shindy master ($125-$140 and includes the brake switch) or the Magura (roughly $90 + $10 for brake switch), this is the Nissin/Shindy. The clamp won't fit under the throttle cable proboscis thingie without forcing the controls to be rotated far forward (or the brake far back). Either a different clamp or some modification and it might work.

Not bad for what will be $100-140 + the cost of a brake line and some fittings, and work better than the stock arrangement.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
I dunno....

This is beginning to look like a long way to go to avoid using a factory part and the cost is about the same.

That last installation looks very awkward to me and because of that, I'd almost certainly convert to a set of R100 controls on both sides and be done with it. Really.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #18
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,453
I hate to sound like a smart ass, but why did you go with the Nissen when it cost more and doesn't fit as well? Twostroke 312, nice job! It's flattering to see someone else use my rig, but you did a cleaner job of it, I must say. Next time I have things apart, I'll have to spend a little more time dressing things with the die grinder to make mine look as good as yours. It's easy to overestimate what will be hidden by a coat of paint. What are those grips you have? Me like dem.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
I hate to sound like a smart ass, but why did you go with the Nissen when it cost more and doesn't fit as well? Twostroke 312, nice job! It's flattering to see someone else use my rig, but you did a cleaner job of it, I must say. Next time I have things apart, I'll have to spend a little more time dressing things with the die grinder to make mine look as good as yours. It's easy to overestimate what will be hidden by a coat of paint. What are those grips you have? Me like dem.
I'm returning the Nissen. I had no way of knowing it wouldn't fit until I tried it. As to the extra $25, that came with adjustable reach, a higher quality of finish, and a black brake lever. Besides, it was santa's money.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 12-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #20
knary
sunshine and puppies

Or not.

An R100's stock throttle assembly has the cables exiting further back (towards the front wheel) than the previous design. The Magura doesn't work any better than the Nissen/Shindy and might fit worse. I could, of course, just rotate the throttle assembly, but then the switches end up in a peculiar location.

Note how the cable thingamagig bumps into the reservoir. Compare this to what you see on the the older bikes.

vs.

"I'm saving money"
"I'm saving money"
"I'm saving money"
"I'm saving money"
"I'm saving money"

I'm going to scratch my head a little.

FWIW, here is how the two visually compare. The Nissen/Shindy unit definitely seems like the better made item.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 12-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #21
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,453
Bah! I bet you're getting sick of this. I only realized in this round of pictures that you were doing this on a bike with later style HB controls. The only reason I did this whole thing was so that I could retain my /5 HB controls. I really didn't want to lose the aesthetic, and I felt that the Magura MC, while not a real match, looked like it belonged there. If I had a later /6 or newer, I surely would have just gotten an r100 handlebar mounted MC off of Ebay. You'll figure something out.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #22
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Bah! I bet you're getting sick of this. I only realized in this round of pictures that you were doing this on a bike with later style HB controls. The only reason I did this whole thing was so that I could retain my /5 HB controls. I really didn't want to lose the aesthetic, and I felt that the Magura MC, while not a real match, looked like it belonged there. If I had a later /6 or newer, I surely would have just gotten an r100 handlebar mounted MC off of Ebay. You'll figure something out.
BMW parts off ebay are running a minimum of $150, need a rebuild (the last couple masters have included descriptions like "piston stuck") and you still need more parts. So add in shipping, the rebuild cost, and other bits and you're fast moving towards the $350 for all new parts through Motobins.

I'm having fun figuring this out. It's a puzzle.

p.s. more amazing is that people are asking $150 for under tank masters in need of rebuilding.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
LonerDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Hi Knary,

Ever figure out a way to fit a Magura MC around a later /6 throttle/switch housing? Think I'm stuck at the same place you were.

Rotating the switch to position the throttle cables aft of the MC makes the turn signal switch nearly impossible to reach. Putting the cables ahead of the MC puts the brake lever up against the throttle housing and requires that the MC be mounted further inboard on the bars, making lever alignment (with repect to the grip) even worse.

Hoping to hear you've solved this riddle.

Thanks.

Dave
LonerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
knary
sunshine and puppies

Not yet but I've been sidelined with other things.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I'm thinking about how to mod or replace the under tank MC on my /7 so I get better function, but it'll still look the same.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #26
LonerDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary View Post
Not yet but I've been sidelined with other things.
Like resurrecting the Punk's Bike. That's a project and a half!

Thanks.

Dave
LonerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #27
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
I'm thinking about how to mod or replace the under tank MC on my /7 so I get better function, but it'll still look the same.
That's easy - just replace your right hand perch with one that took a bar mount master. There are three styles though, and only two will work for you. The odd one is the 100GS and R that took a K style mastercylinder and switches.

The 81-4 airheads had one throttle cable coming from the controls where the rest of them had dual pull.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #28
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Nah... I want to replace the under tank MC with a different bore size MC so it works better, but still looks the same.

"But this amp is SPECIAL, it goes up to ELEVEN!"
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #29
civhatch90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Hey knary, i was thinking about doing the same thing but i'm giving it some serious thought and may no longer do it. Btw, that nissin master cylinder comes as OEM equipment on the sv650s and if you look hard enought you can find them used in great shape for about $50.
civhatch90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #30
gasolinePony
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Eek

Dave or Knary,

Any new ideas about this? I'm looking at that $397.00 price tag for a new master cylinder (mine is rusted onto a /6), and wondering if you guys had any luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerDave View Post
Hi Knary,

Ever figure out a way to fit a Magura MC around a later /6 throttle/switch housing? Think I'm stuck at the same place you were.

Rotating the switch to position the throttle cables aft of the MC makes the turn signal switch nearly impossible to reach. Putting the cables ahead of the MC puts the brake lever up against the throttle housing and requires that the MC be mounted further inboard on the bars, making lever alignment (with repect to the grip) even worse.

Hoping to hear you've solved this riddle.

Thanks.

Dave
gasolinePony is offline   Reply With Quote