RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #303
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motociclista View Post
next ...

That's as far as they're going. It would have been unfair to have lost to England on penalties but there is no way this Italian team is beating the German's.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #304
BMWBILO
Snapperhead

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
That's as far as they're going. It would have been unfair to have lost to England on penalties but there is no way this Italian team is beating the German's.
I would like to believe you as I would like to see Germany win
the whole thing. The history of these 2 teams in major tournaments
favours Italy. Italy has prevailed in the semis at the 1970 World cup,
the final of the World cup in 1982, and again at the semis of the
2006 World cup. I don't think Germany has defeated Italy at any
major tournament. Hopefully they can break this trend on Thursday.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #305
Motociclista
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 14,012
Quote:
Wanna bet?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #306
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBILO View Post
I would like to believe you as I would like to see Germany win
the whole thing. The history of these 2 teams in major tournaments
favours Italy. Italy has prevailed in the semis at the 1970 World cup,
the final of the World cup in 1982, and again at the semis of the
2006 World cup. I don't think Germany has defeated Italy at any
major tournament. Hopefully they can break this trend on Thursday.
Of course, you never know particularly at international tournaments. Balotelli seems to be knocking on the door and is due a big game but, this is a very average Italian team. Apart from Pirlo, their best player in the second half used to play for West Ham!

Spain would make them look like France and unless Lowe gets his tactics wrong I can't see Germany beating them less than 2-0 (and the German's will have had two more days of rest than the Italians).

I'm still expecting a Spain - Germany final with Spain winning it 1-0.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #307
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motociclista View Post
Wanna bet?

Italian self-belief has carried them a long way over the years. And it was typical Italian D that they would time after time get back behind the ball when England broke. They do that better than anyone (but England also lack the individual talent or technical skill as a team to have scored on the counter).

I just think Germany have much more individual talent and attacking flair not to catch the Italians. They might not even have to rely on the break to score and just open them up as they did the Greeks.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #308
BMWBILO
Snapperhead

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Of course, you never know particularly at international tournaments. Balotelli seems to be knocking on the door and is due a big game but, this is a very average Italian team. Apart from Pirlo, their best player in the second half used to play for West Ham!

Spain would make them look like France and unless Lowe gets his tactics wrong I can't see Germany beating them less than 2-0 (and the German's will have had two more days of rest than the Italians).

I'm still expecting a Spain - Germany final with Spain winning it 1-0.
If it is a Germany Spain final I would like to see Lw go with a 4 6 like Spain. Start the same players as against Greece except replace Boetang.
Drop Klose in the midfield and try and match Spain. Even if they just did it for a little while. Something to throw Spain off their game long enough to grab a goal.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #309
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBILO View Post
If it is a Germany Spain final I would like to see Lw go with a 4 6 like Spain. Start the same players as against Greece except replace Boetang.
Drop Klose in the midfield and try and match Spain. Even if they just did it for a little while. Something to throw Spain off their game long enough to grab a goal.
England deservedly lost. They couldn't string 4 passes together without losing the ball (data says 73% pass accuracy- Italy 89%).

Spain have a very strong hold on the middle of the pitch, but they can be attacked over the wings. Lw might go strikerless against Italy with Reus as the center, but I don't think so. Italy might be succeptible to headers and Reus is useless for that. My guess would be Klose with Reus left and Mller right. Schweinsteiger might be dropped, he still has problems with his ankle. Khedira seems to be able to replace him as on pitch team leader and Kroos is not his defensive equal, but his passing is brilliant.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #310
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Just finished watching England-Italy. Entertaining game. Italy was better and did more for the game, so I thought they deserved to win.

The Italien's should simply lay down and roll over when the Germans step on the pitch, but I just trust them Italiens. I do think, though, this will be our turn, finally, to send them home!

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #311
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
England deservedly lost. They couldn't string 4 passes together without losing the ball (data says 73% pass accuracy- Italy 89%).

Spain have a very strong hold on the middle of the pitch, but they can be attacked over the wings. Lw might go strikerless against Italy with Reus as the center, but I don't think so. Italy might be succeptible to headers and Reus is useless for that. My guess would be Klose with Reus left and Mller right. Schweinsteiger might be dropped, he still has problems with his ankle. Khedira seems to be able to replace him as on pitch team leader and Kroos is not his defensive equal, but his passing is brilliant.
Again, I don't think Spain gets past Portugal.

I want to see Gomez against Italy, Reus on the left wing, Mueller on the right, and since Schweini is troubled, bring on Kroos instead.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #312
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorstKind View Post
Just finished watching England-Italy. Entertaining game. Italy was better and did more for the game, so I thought they deserved to win.

The Italien's should simply lay down and roll over when the Germans step on the pitch, but I just trust them Italiens. I do think, though, this will be our turn, finally, to send them home!
You can be sure the Italians will roll over and shriek in pain at the slightest touch.
No, that would be undeserved. I haven't seen any flopping today.

I predict that Pirlo will have a bad day against Germany. He is the only creative force and sole focal point in the italian game. Take him out and their attack is rather harmless. England gave him free reign today and it was quite lucky Italy didn't score. That penalty chip was brilliant btw.
Italy lost a lot of steam after the 60th minute. Only 3 days of recovery after a 120 minute game will be painful for them.

Portugal might get that lucky shot, but I would be surprised if they do. Spain looked like they had a gear left against France. We'll see that on wednesday.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #313
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Disappointing, if not unexpected, end to the tournie for England. Right result in the end - England simply weren't good enough. Overall though, they surpassed expectations (for once) so I guess it could be considered a successful tournie

I still cannot understand how professional footballers miss penalties. Having a penalty saved is fair enough but to totally miss the fucking goal It just boggles my mind. Why do they not just practice over and over and over again hitting the ball into the top corner of the goal where the goalie will NEVER get it ?

Anyway, Italy were the better side on the day, England had their chances though (why is Rooney so fucking SHIT when he plays for England ?) but Italy will have to play a lot (lot) better if they want to beat Germany.

Spain-Germany final with Spain edging it.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #314
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,680
Anyone for tennis? As one of daily rags said today.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #315
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
You can be sure the Italians will roll over and shriek in pain at the slightest touch.
No, that would be undeserved. I haven't seen any flopping today.

I predict that Pirlo will have a bad day against Germany. He is the only creative force and sole focal point in the italian game. Take him out and their attack is rather harmless. England gave him free reign today and it was quite lucky Italy didn't score. That penalty chip was brilliant btw.
Italy lost a lot of steam after the 60th minute. Only 3 days of recovery after a 120 minute game will be painful for them.

Portugal might get that lucky shot, but I would be surprised if they do. Spain looked like they had a gear left against France. We'll see that on wednesday.
+1 on the "no flopping". It has been really enjoyable to watch games where diving and dirty tackles have been kept to a minimum. I don't think I have witnessed a single "South American/South European Death Roll" yet!

If Schweini were healthy, I'd simply tell him to mark Pirlo out of the game. Pirlo had waaaaaaay too much freedom vs England. Scotty Parker is one of my favorite footballers - a heart and desire as big as any in football. I bet if he would have had instructions to make Pirlo's life miserable, he would have. With England coming out as defensive minded as they did, I am actually surprised Parker wasn't Pirlo's shadow nightmare.

Germany will be a bit vulnerable to a good counter attack - any team is that is focused on breaking down a back nine. Pirlo showed us a couple of times what he is capable of yesterday, and Balotelli IS dangerous and ready to receive some long balls bridging midfield. That being said, we have enough quality on the team to take out the Italiens.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: