robocog screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 05:19 AM Reason: addendum
robocog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #62
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,029
Thanks Rob!

So today was a good day.... kinda.

Started out by giving the rear shock a good bath. Removed all the caked-on clay and scrubed it with simple green to remove the greasy crap.
That allowed me to confirm that the shock isn't leaking and that the spring was upgraded at some point.
As an added bonus, it now smells piney fresh.

Then back into the frame it goes...

What's the thing in the frame in the pic above?

.... It's the engine!

I adjusted the valves, buttoned everything back up and the engine went back in the frame. That was a pain! Doing that kind of job by yourself sucks. But after much cussing, head scratching, and paint scratching it's finally back where it belongs. Touched up the scratches in the paint too...

Here's the "kinda" part. I'm usually pretty confident about my work but I feel that this engine has been apart too long and I get that weird feeling that I missed something. I guess we'll find out when I start it up.

I clean and repacked the steering head bearings and losely (loosely?) re-assembled the triples.

Next was the fork tubes. I opened them up to drain them and first found PVC spacers, mmmh. Then, non-progressive springs... This is getting good.
Then:

Some previous owner spent some $$$$ at some point. Suspension front and rear, Vortex airbox, FMF pipe. Maybe this project is worth it after all...
Now I just need to figure out what and how much oil to put in the tubes. Luckily, Rick/Cogent Dynamic is only 3 miles away.

I also removed the RaceTech stickers from the fork tubes. Nothing against RaceTech, I just don't like stickers. Now, if RaceTech builds all their products like they made these fucking stickers it must be a good company to buy from.
Took me about 30 minutes per leg...

Good news is that the fork seals seem to be OK. I'll be running with no boots as long as I run street only. If they start leaking I'll know right away.

Last was the carb. I had cleaned it recently for the PO so no surprises. It was rejetted with a 145 main and needle all the way up. I may drop it one slot to see, most of my riding is around 3000 to 3500ft. I also read somewhere that, for easier starting, Suzuki recommended drilling out the brass jet located in the float cage. Now if I could only figure out what drill bit to use...

That's all for today. Feels good to be moving forward.
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #63
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,709
You can get seals and wipers for about $25.I'd just change them.All the $$$ you are throwing at this bike,I wouldn't skimp on them.
ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #64
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 242
This is soo fun to watch :-) I often get surprised how many upgraded parts you can find in the old thumpers :-) Turns out that te more beatten up and dirty bike you find, it is filled with nice and quite $$$ goodies in its internals, and you get them for the bargain prices.

For how long do you expect to work on this bike before it is on the road again?

cheers

a
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #65
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aposaric View Post
For how long do you expect to work on this bike before it is on the road again?

cheers

a
If I can get 3-4 full days in the garage it will be back on the road with the factory wheels. My goal is to get the entire project completed by March 1st...
Old 01-31-2012, 03:27 AM   #66
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Needed:
- full gasket set
- timing chain
- GS500 front wheel
- GS500 rear wheel
- tires
- mirror
- front cam chain guide
- suspension linkage needle bearing and hem joint
- seat cover
- used gs500 sprocket to check gearing

Wanted:
- XR style tailight
- SM front fender
- factory clutch perch and lever (the ratio on this one seems to be all wrong)
- maybe a lighter skidplate
- SS front brake line
- fork brace
Old 02-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #67
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,647
Hey dbarale, you might outta swing by my place and see if I have anything you need.

I have a 93 DR350 that I currently ride (and it's for sale). A 94 DR350 I bought with a dropped valve (might have some parts you need). A DR250 engine in a box. A few seats. SM front fender. SM wheels that I built. And a load of other crap. If you want to stop by this week shoot me an email.

B.Curvin@gmail.com

I'm in Canton.

On the outside with my back turned.
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #68
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Those are some purty wheels! Probably waay out of my budget though but I still need to meet with you. I need a few odds and ends...

I'll shoot you an email.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #69
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Thanks to B Curvin I get to check a couple more things off the parts list. Quite a bit of progress this past weekend, update to follow...

Needed:
- full gasket set
- timing chain
- GS500 front wheel
- GS500 rear wheel
- tires
- mirror
- front cam chain guide
- suspension linkage needle bearing and hem joint
- seat cover
- used gs500 sprocket to check gearing
- rear brake caliper

Wanted:
- XR style tailight
- SM front fender
- factory clutch perch and lever (the ratio on this one seems to be all wrong)
- maybe a lighter skidplate
- SS front brake line
- fork brace
Old 02-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #70
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

This winter project has been suffering from a lack of... winter.
It's been unusually warm and I've been spending a lot of time doing other outside/outdoor stuff. Well, now it's freakin' cold. So I got busy.

First I cut a new spacer to fit in between the inner rear wheel bearings. The factory one was steel and, apparently, tool grade steel. After 20 minutes of trying to re-bore it I finally gave up and cut one out of aluminum. It just works on compression loads so it should be strong enough. Maybe...

I then popped in the new wheel bearings and turned my attention to the rear caliper. Turns out the sliding pins were completely frozen by corrosion. After two hours of drilling, cutting, bleeding, cussing, I finally had it apart. But now I needed to buy new pins, rubber boots, and probably replace the seals.

Fast forward a couple days and I got to meet B.Curvin. His garage his full of crazy projects, and parts. He offered me a caliper in great shape for a great price. Well, yes I will...

Put the wheel in for a quick fit test. As expected, the right side needs to be machined about 5mm to allow the rotor to center in the caliper.

BTW, the GS500 rotor has been ground to 220mm diameter and 4mm thickness to fit the DR caliper. Pics to follow as soon as I pick it up.

I also got from B.Curvin a trick rear sprocket. A 520 conversion sprocket from his SV650 track bike. It's aluminum, has the right pattern, and should be the right tooth count. Best of all, it was really cheap!

It should get the gearing in the ballpark. I'll adjust by replacing the front sprocket that has seen better days.

The lip on the left side of the wheel still needs to be machined off. The bearing will also need to be replaced with a sealed one. No big deal.

I flushed all the gunk, mud, sand, and whatever else out of the forks. I then refilled them and put the front end back together.

Quickly cut a couple of spacers to center the front wheel. Easy, but there isn't much room left between the rotor and the fork leg on the left side. Sorry for the bad pic, best I could do:

I still need to work out the caliper mount. I may grind down the fork tube a bit to make it easier. I'd just have to use spacers when I switch back to the factory wheels. Still in the air.

... And then a couple days of tedious work. Every part is inspected, cleaned, painted if needed, and re-assembled. It's slow and not really gratifying but at least I get a good look at everything before it goes back on. I re-wrapped the entire wiring harness as it was falling apart, another three hours of fun...

Anyway, the goal was to get the bike back on its wheels by the end of the weekend. Mission accomplished (-ish).

I cheated a bit as the rear wheel needs final machining, so it's not really on. Both wheels need paint and tires. The supermoto front fender also comes from B.Curvin's stash. The problem is that I now decided to paint the entire bike black.

Tomorrow I'll put the carb back together and try to get an oil filter. I plan on working on the exhaust later today. Hoping to re-start the beast on Wed, hopefuly.

Expected completion date is still March 1st. Fingers crossed...
Old 02-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #71
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale View Post

That's a mighty fine lookin' caliper you got there.

Looks like it's coming together nicely.

On the outside with my back turned.
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #72
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Finally got the exhaust and carb back on. Checked the battery, 10.1V, not good. But I connected it anyway and tried to kick it with the spark plug out, I was getting a weak blue spark.

I hooked up the tank and there was just enough gas in there to fill up the float bowl.

Kicked about 6 times and got one single burp. That's when I realized that the headlight was still connected.

Disconnect the headlight.

One kick.

IT'S ALIVE!

Let it run for about 30s and killed it. It now starts reliably on the 1st or 2nd kick.

I am thrilled, this bike was near impossible to start cold before and a real bitch to start hot. Even if it takes 5-10 kicks to start cold it's definitely something I can live with. Now to paint the plastics, finish the wheel setup, paint the wheels, tires and it will be road ready.

Might still make my March 1st deadline.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #73
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 361
progress baby....progress.....Nice!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #74
BUGSMAK
BUGSMAK

Oddometer: 7
I've decided I need the DR back!!

Looks great Daniel! Sorry man but I think I'm gonna need my DR back! She's just looking so sexy now and I'm suddenly starting to miss her! Just the thought of her gettin turned on so easy now is killin me!! And that black thing it's like her darker side is coming out!! Mmmman!

Naaa!! Maybe she'd be happier with you...

l
BUGSMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #75
dbarale OP
Squiddly slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGSMAK View Post
Looks great Daniel! Sorry man but I think I'm gonna need my DR back! She's just looking so sexy now and I'm suddenly starting to miss her! Just the thought of her gettin turned on so easy now is killin me!! And that black thing it's like her darker side is coming out!! Mmmman!

Well, you still have the title...