Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #31
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Here are the MSDS info in case someone is interested..
http://www.spillcontainment.com/everdry

Scroll to the bottom of page.

This is some really neat stuff, and I wonder how it would work on paint and for how long.. I can see a lot of good possibilities depending on how durable it is.

I don't think the squeeze bottles would be that good. I bought ACF50 to use on my bikes and you waste more with the bottle.
I now use a detail gun to spray it on, and it goes a lot further.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #32
aaronsb
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Guess what? It's available. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ

http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...in-stores.html
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:21 AM   #33
kltk1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Watched the video where they covered a pair of boots with this stuff. I wonder if it wouldn't allow the material to breath whereby by making those boots, or riding gear, uncomfortably warm.
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #34
daesimps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
If you read the instructions then it would appear to be a very limited product and not really that good for us bikers:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...23c7d17ce8.pdf

Does NeverWet work with all liquids?
Certain solvents, alcohols and soap/detergents will cause the surface of the coating to lose superhydrophobicity. Once these chemicals are removed, the superhydrophobicity will generally return. NeverWet is less effective at repelling motor oils and oil based liquids.

Treated surfaces will lose superhydrophobic properties if exposed to detergents, soap, oil, solvents or high pressure water. Due to the oils in the skin, excessive handling with bare hands of treated materials can cause a reduction in performance. Abrasion will also cause a reduction in performance.

Can NeverWet be used on fabric?
Rust-Oleum NeverWet will adhere to most fabrics, but it will leave a flat milky haze on the surface.

Are coated items “breathable”?
The breathability of a coated item is dependent on how heavy the Base Coat is applied. The lighter the Base Coat, the more breathable the item will be. If a continuous, heavy film is applied, the surface will not be breathable.

Can NeverWet be applied to glass?
Yes, but the glass will no longer be transparent. NeverWet dries to a Flat Frosted Clear color, therefore, it should never be applied to windshields or automobile windows. NeverWet will work on any glass that you want to have superhydrophobic properties, but don’t need to see through.

Can NeverWet be used on electronics?
No, NeverWet should not be used on electronics.

Can NeverWet be removed?
Yes. If you desire to remove NeverWet completely, it can be removed by first sanding and then wiping the treated object with Xylol or mineral spirits
daesimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #35
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Here are the MSDS info in case someone is interested..
http://www.spillcontainment.com/everdry

Scroll to the bottom of page.

This is some really neat stuff, and I wonder how it would work on paint and for how long.. I can see a lot of good possibilities depending on how durable it is.

I don't think the squeeze bottles would be that good. I bought ACF50 to use on my bikes and you waste more with the bottle.
I now use a detail gun to spray it on, and it goes a lot further.

I couldn't find the MSDS for NeverWet, but looking at the MSDS for the product above, it contains acetone, xylenes, and t-butyl acetate, so I'd be careful using it on some plastics. Could also dissolve paint, glues, etc. Maybe test a conspicuous area before applying.

Also since NeverWet doesn't dry clear, so no applying it to face shields.
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #36
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
Maybe test a conspicuous area before applying.
I'm going for inconspicuous.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #37
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,025
go ahead, play it safe chicken
Old 06-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #38
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
I'm getting some of this and coating my BMW Trailguard jacket and Summer II pants, today.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #39
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
I'm getting some of this and coating my BMW Trailguard jacket and Summer II pants, today.
Let us know how it works out, plz!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #40
daesimps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Did you see my post above with an extract of the instructions that come with it? Specifically the bit that says "Rust-Oleum NeverWet will adhere to most fabrics, but it will leave a flat milky haze on the surface."
daesimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #41
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by daesimps View Post
Did you see my post above with an extract of the instructions that come with it? Specifically the bit that says "Rust-Oleum NeverWet will adhere to most fabrics, but it will leave a flat milky haze on the surface."
Yes, I can read.

It's just a black motorcycle jacket and pants. Who the fuck cares if it's a little hazy?

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #42
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,025
Post some thoughts after you do it.

Wonder if you can spray the whole bike and never wash it again, imagine riding through a big mud hole and coming out totally clean
Old 06-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #43
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
FWIW, if it is a silicone based spray, and it doesn't work, you will have a very hard time renewing the DWR with a flourocarbon based coating (which is what it comes with from the factory).
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #44
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
FWIW, if it is a silicone based spray, and it doesn't work, you will have a very hard time renewing the DWR with a flourocarbon based coating (which is what it comes with from the factory).
I have a sneaking suspicion that this is more than a "silicon-based spray".

Besides, why would I want to renew the crappy DWR on a jacket that isn't even remotely waterproof when I'm applying a super hydrophobic coating?

Again, it's the BMW Trailguard and for real rain protection I pull a GoreTex™ suit on over it.

It's never had much of a DWR and since I got it in 2010 and I've washed it a dozen times since, so I doubt it'll screw much of anything up.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #45
DP-WU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Let us know how it works out, plz!
Ditto. Be very interested to know how this turns out.
DP-WU is offline   Reply With Quote