Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #136
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2ryd View Post
Signed up to do the 3 day Arizona ride with RawHyde Adventures in May, and I'm second-guessing my decision to do it. After all I've gone through, I'm not scared to death but I sure am tentative about dirt riding.
I think you need to be honest with yourself regarding your ultimate objective. If you do a fair amount of off-road riding or want to do off-road riding then the risk is probably worth it. My decision to participate in an off-road riding course was arguably flawed for 2 reasons. First, I never intended to pursue off-road riding. I took the course purely for the benefits I might accrue to my on-road riding skills. Perhaps the bigger error, however, was selecting a 1200 GS for the class vs a 650. I don't know if that would have changed the outcome, but I'd love to be able to turn the clock back and repeat my experience on a lighter bike. I made it a day and 1/2 through an excellent 2 day course and did learn a lot, but regarding my enhanced knowledge base I can now say the same for spending 40 days on crutches and 1 leg.
This week I rode my Cannondale carbon fiber bicycle for the first time since my ankle fracture 3 1/2 months ago. My ankle felt great and the experience was as invigorating as I had remembered. I know I could fall or get hit by a car on my bicycle, but unlike off-road motorcycle riding, bicycle riding (and on road motorcycling) is very important to me and I want to get better at it; therefore, I'll take the risk and leave off-road motorcycling to others.
Because I intend on having my 6 screw fibular plate and medial malleolar screw removed next Fall I'd very much appreciate any information you could post regarding your experiences post metal removal, especially regarding near term recovery and care to prevent re-fracture, and longer term improvement in swelling and flexion.

Dave
Old 03-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #137
liv2ryd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
getting on the horse

Yes, I am an old guy on a big bike who has ridden off-road and on for 35 years, and this is the worst injury I have ever suffered on a bike. I wasn't even on some heroic, gnarly, steep single track, it was an intersection of 2 graded county roads, with some loose gravel in the middle of the turn that my rear wheel slipped out on with no warning whatsoever. I'm really struggling with whether this is an omen that I have had a good run but my time for off-roading may be over. My wife is no help, she says it's my decision. Sometimes I wish she would just say, no, idiot, stop riding that thing off-road. She knows how much I enjoy it. It might be time to hang up the knobbies, I'm very conflicted. I do have a set of street Michelins mounted up, the GS makes one heck of a sportbike, too.
Regarding recovery, I am only a few days post-op and still in a splint and on crutches, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things. I think the single most important thing is movement, even when you are in a cast or a boot, wiggle your toes, contract your quad and calf muscles, do anything to keep blood pumping through your legs and carrying off the fluids that collect, and elevation as much as possible. Find a good physical therapist and do everything they tell you, every day. Balance work is extremely important, get a BOSU ball and/or balance discs and learn how to use them. That really engages the small muscles in the ankle and will speed your recovery.
Regarding the metal plates, my surgeon is of the opinion that after about 6 months or so they have done their job holding things together while they heal and there is no reason to leave them in. I am glad I had the plate removed after hearing some of the stories of others in this thread. I'll let you know how I'm doing once I'm back on 2 feet.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #138
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2ryd View Post
I'm really struggling with whether this is an omen that I have had a good run but my time for off-roading may be over. .
I share some of your angst and posted a similar thought earlier (i.e., has my prior safety record been luck and has the luck run out). I jokingly told a friend although I've never packed a gun, I am now considering carrying one when I ride so in the event I fall and fracture my ankle again I can just pull it out and shoot myself. If I believed there was a significant chance I would do this again while riding on-road I would quite motorcycling and be content on living with great memories of something I still love to do.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #139
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,225
Well, while it might not be a great idea for old guys to ride heavy bikes in the dirt, that does not mean they cant ride lighter lower bikes in the dirt and have some fun with a much lower chance of broken bones.
Its not a 1200 or nothing....
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #140
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,481
Funny thing about injuries being an omen is,I bought a smaller enduro (Honda XL600) to maybe get away from the street and larger bikes like my GS, faster stuff etc.... because I got rearended last fall while stopped for a red light (he hit me going 30mph, luckily while I had some injuries they were not life threatening.the guy had zero remorse, offered no apology and tried to drive away, greatest generation my ass)So I thought I'll get off the street for awhile, there's miles of trails near my work etc...
Went to go for a short ride in the morning from work, was too lazy to put on my Sidi MX boots, just left with some hiking boots. I have some mending ligaments in my right knee from previous rearend accident leaving my leg already compromised.Kicked over the bike an whalahhh I find myself on the broken ankle leg thread.
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #141
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,225
Time for an electric start 250.

An xl600 is a smaller enduro????

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateithere View Post
Funny thing about injuries being an omen is,I bought a smaller enduro (Honda XL600) to maybe get away from the street and larger bikes like my GS, faster stuff etc.... because I got rearended last fall while stopped for a red light (he hit me going 30mph, luckily while I had some injuries they were not life threatening.the guy had zero remorse, offered no apology and tried to drive away, greatest generation my ass)So I thought I'll get off the street for awhile, there's miles of trails near my work etc...
Went to go for a short ride in the morning from work, was too lazy to put on my Sidi MX boots, just left with some hiking boots. I have some mending ligaments in my right knee from previous rearend accident leaving my leg already compromised.Kicked over the bike an whalahhh I find myself on the broken ankle leg thread.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #142
hateithere
anytime now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Time for an electric start 250.

An xl600 is a smaller enduro????
Well, yeah, compared to R100GSPD with big metal panniers, crashbars and all the other attendant crap bolted onto it,(the camel hauls around 90lbs of gas when filled)yes I myself am 6'2" 240lb, so for me the XL600 is a smaller enduro, compared to my usual. It might be time for the magic button.
I think my lack of proper footwear is what ultimately has brought me to my current horizontal state.
going in on Wed to see how my surgery is doing and hopefully to get a new, more substantial cast
Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #143
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
I have some mending ligaments in my right knee from previous rearend accident leaving my leg already compromised.Kicked over the bike an whalahhh I find myself on the broken ankle leg thread.
Yipes. Welcome to the club. Hope everything goes okay for your healing.
Eyes Shut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #144
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Believe me, I feel your pain. I hope your recovery is uneventful.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #145
hateithere
anytime now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Yipes. Welcome to the club. Hope everything goes okay for your healing.
Thanks you too!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #146
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Broken Ankle 1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
Broke my right ankle in 98. No surgery or pins required. Did have the the cast & crutches 4 weeks, no weight on it, then the boot. Hurt like the dickens seemed like forever then it didn't.
I did do everything the Dr said as far as no weight for so long, minimum activity, keep it propped etc, etc, etc. etc
Every once in a while when its cold or wet I might get a twinge or two.
Mine is about the same. Broke right ankle in 1992, 20 years ago, and got a cast. No surgery but followed the doctor rules. Range of motion is slightly less than "normal" but can do anything that I want (rock climbing, hiking, snow skiing, motorbikes etc). Cold weather and evening fatigue let me know it was once broken... not really pain, just lets me know it's there. Ibuprofen usually works, but try to keep off pills as much as possible.

I went on a Colorado elk hunt with my doctor's permission while still wearing the "walking cast". Had to ride a horse out to my blind and the wrangler left me from dark to dark. I had my director chair, a small stove, coffee pot and a snow machine suit. Got a nice bull after several days of sitting. Best part... didn't have to field dress it. The other hunters in camp came to help me, so I just watched while holding a beer.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #147
hateithere
anytime now

It's good to know that while the injury itself is pretty bad, overall there seems to be a good shot at a fully functional recovery.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #148
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
Best part... didn't have to field dress it. The other hunters in camp came to help me, so I just watched while holding a beer.

Dave
One of the few advantages of having this sort of injury....."Oh honey, can you get me a beer?"
Old 03-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #149
hateithere
anytime now

Went to the doc today for my first post op. Stitches out,Xrays show a nice, solid recovery! Got the aircast which is great, I can remove it when not mobile and for showers etc..., nice to have some relief. No weight bearing for the next 3 weeks then I can slowly add weight.Should be back on 2 wheels in a month!.I'll be wearing MX boots for sure!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #150
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Quote:
Went to the doc today for my first post op. Stitches out,Xrays show a nice, solid recovery! Got the aircast which is great, I can remove it when not mobile and for showers etc..., nice to have some relief. No weight bearing for the next 3 weeks then I can slowly add weight.Should be back on 2 wheels in a month!.I'll be wearing MX boots for sure!
Great news for you!

I had my 12-week post-injury check today. My ankle looks good, my tibia still has some gaps (not surprising as the doctor removed some bone pieces during surgery). I can do partial weight-bearing and don't have to wear the darth boot at night anymore.