Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #151
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Time for an electric start 250.
After my first right ankle surgery I asked the doc if I could still ride offroad bikes. I was also stupid enough to do it with my wife in the room. He said sure just wear good MX boots and NO KICKSTART. He promised me I was one kickback away from being a cripple with a fused ankle.

Given the fact that I had just spent over six months in various types of surgical boots, I took him at his word. So not only did I still get to ride, but Grreatwife and I went bike shopping. I told her I knew of a bike with left side kick AND electric start. All of which is how I ended up with the LC4.

Oh, and I got an antique table out of the deal. The inmate I bought it from lived near a nice antique shop. I was hard pressed to say no to Grreatwife with a new bike on the back of the 4Runner.

Anyway, there is still riding after trashing your ankle. Mine has been rebuilt twice. The ligaments are held in place by being run through holes drilled in my leg bone. I don't have much left in the way of cartilage so it hurts most of the time. I limp sometimes, can't run at all and can't move my foot much in a couple of directions.

But I can still ride.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 02:31 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #152
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Great news for you!

I had my 12-week post-injury check today. My ankle looks good, my tibia still has some gaps (not surprising as the doctor removed some bone pieces during surgery). I can do partial weight-bearing and don't have to wear the darth boot at night anymore.
That's atleast encouraging, no bionic boot!, I would say you're just in time for spring, i'm sure spring has less signifigance in Santa Barbara

Greatdog's post is has tipped the scale for me in regards to selling the XL and getting something with The Magic Button.maybe someone will trade me straight across.probably should thin the herd anywayor atleast try something new , maybe a 640 adventure
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #153
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

An XL600R is what I sold for the LC4.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #154
hateithere
anytime now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
An XL600R is what I sold for the LC4.

Mine will be going up for sale this week, too bad I really like that bike, it's set up just the way I want, I'm glad I read your post, I definately want to take care to not have this happen again, it's been no picnic Plus it's a great excuse to get the katoom!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #155
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

I did, too. It was well on its way to being an XR600R. My old XL600R had the best seat I have ever parked my ass on, had good power and cornered great. So I am glad it went back to its original owner. It was a good do everything bike. That said, the suspension under my LC4E is an order of magnitude (or two) better than the Honda even with an aftermarket shock on it.

What I found is the electric start does protect my ankle but now I that am also riding on much better suspension I can sit most of the time. Even hauling ass I can sit through crazy bad rocks, ruts and small whoops and jumps that my XT's and XL had me constantly standing for. The only time I stand now is for big hits or technical crap that you simply have to stand for.

Since standing leaves me limping for days I am sold on only riding offroad on real offroad bikes now.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #156
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
Update

I finally got in to see the Physical Therapist yesterday. Other than a couple more ankle and hip exercises to add to my daily routine, things are proceeding along okay, though slowly. I am starting to walk with one crutch, whoohoo! I also am walking around the neighborhood and riding my bicycle (on rollers) daily.

How's everyone else's ankles and legs doing? Hope you are healing well!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #157
hateithere
anytime now

Not too bad couple of small steps here and there.Slipped a little on the steps the other day and dropped my crutches, accidentally put my full weight on the broken ankle and it did'nt hurt,so for me that's a huge encouragement! I'm 5 weeks out, have another Dr. visit on Monday, hopefully he'll clear me to drive.

Got my GS almost put back together from a different wreck last fall (The guys at work set it up in an open section of the shop, i put a couple of plastic lawn chairs around it and leap frog around, got most of it back together.If I graduate to a cane I'm golden!)As a result of this I'm probably going to sell off a couple of bikes that were not all that comfortable before and my kick only XL600 for either a 640 Adventure or a nice older R1100RT.

hope everyone else is coming along okay!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #158
hateithere
anytime now

Cannot say enough good things about compression socks, they really work for the swelling thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #159
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
What a difference a day makes!
I rode my Cannondale bicycle to my PT session 3/9; 24 mile round trip. My ankle felt great. March 14 I invited a friend to go on a 30 mile bicycle ride. While pedaling at a good clip, est. 20-25 mph, my friend made an unexpected turn in front of me. I locked up my wheels and in slow motion was skidding into a T-bone collision. Next thing, I do an endo and am catapulted straight down onto the pavement. Bike fell to the side (did not flip) and was not damaged, I, however, broke my helmet (saved my life) and sustained a compound comminuted right clavicular fracture, right upper rib fracture, pneumothorax, and tore the costochondral junction of my lower left ribs. This resulted in more pain than I have ever experienced in my life, another ambulance ride, a plate on my clavicle that dwarfs the one on my fibula and the shoulder sling from hell, which comes off 5/11.
Now back to my ankle; 5 1/2 months after fx/repair.
1. I had to D/C PT and have been restricted in my activity since 3/14.
2. I saw the foot orthopedic surgeon on 3/23. She told me my ankle joint space is absolutely normal, I had achieved excellent flexibility, and to come back in November for plate removal.
3. While my left ankle is larger than the right the swelling has dramatically decreased. I no longer have an increase in ankle size after rising in the AM and have stopped using the compression socks.
4. I walk normally with no pain; however, when I rise in the morning my ankle flexibility has significantly diminished since my bicycle accident. It takes about an hour before it really loosens up.
5. At rest, if I position my left foot just right the distal fibula aches. I am hoping this is a result of the plate and will cease with plate removal.

Several friends have asked if I have any reservations about riding my motorcycle or bicycle. I have none regarding the GS, but I'll be riding in a more sedate fashion, at least for awhile. Returning to the bicycle does give me pause. I now appreciate that on my bicycle I have a helmet and nothing else; therefore, any separation at speed will cause injury. My plan is to resume riding, but as a solo act.
Best to all. I'll post my results after my fibular plate has been removed.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #160
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
PETDOC, oh man! That is not good news....you probably didn't really want more titanium in your body. I hope you heal up quickly.

On my ankle/leg injury, 4 1/2 months after my accident, I am walking without assistance and have been on the tandem bicycle with my SO. It's been so nice to be out and about, finally. I'm still limping but expect that the limp will continue to minimize as I walk more.

Hateithere, how are you doing? Walking yet?
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #161
Gimpinator
Minister Funny Walks

Oddometer: 1,059
Oh man!! There is some bad ju-ju going around. I'm sorry to hear about your mishap.

I was the second guy to respond to your original post in this thread. I said, "my hip is fine now." Well, it's not. I just broke the femoral neck on the same side, in a fall while skiing. I'm having a bit of a rough time recovering, but my issue sounds a lot less severe than yours. In a month I should be well on my way to normal activity.

Feel better soon! Hopefully your patients' guardians won't be put off when the see the state you're in

I sure hope your cycling friend is buying the beer for the next, oh, twenty years or so.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #162
hateithere
anytime now

Wow Petdoc sorry to here that. that's awful. rough year, hang in there.

I'm getting around pretty good now, have some bad swelling by the end of the day. put on some extra lbs as a result of being less active so that's not good.(got my bicycle on the trainer to help with flexibilty and exercise, it's our busy time at work so I've had less time to ride the bicycle than I want) Bought a size larger MX boot to use till the swelling decreases.Some days are better than others.I have a little less flexibility, it seems to get better every week. Another nagging issue is with the ankle i'm not able to ride dirt and have been riding on the street more after work.I've been way more spooked than I thought after being rear ended last fall.hopefully those nerves will work thier way out. It's been 2 1/2 months since my injury, no more cane or air cast.I'm walking around pretty well.The main draw back is I'm pretty wore out by the end of the day, some other previous injuries are healing slower as a result.mentally it's great just to be able to get around without asking for help all the time

Petdoc, and everyone this thread has been great and I really credit everyone's tips and encouragement to making recovery much better than it otherwise would have been. hope everyone else is doing well!!!!!!!

hateithere screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 09:37 PM
Old 05-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #163
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 486
I took a steep ravine in moab, got the tib/ fib spiral . 9 screws and a 2 inch plate in my ankle. Docs had me doing resistance training, to stretch the achillis out and increase motion, by using a bicycle innertube hooked around the ball of my foot and pulling back on it as much as I could stand it. The post surgury pain is by far the worst pain I have ever experienced. I was walking without a boot in 4 weeks and with no limp in 6. I still haven't been able to get back to jogging because of a liitle bit of restricted movement, but other than that I am great 11 years later I was only 27 when it happened
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #164
marco-polo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Broke my right tib-fib near the ankle while, believe it or not, skating on the Rideau canal. (In winter, it's a massive skating rink that crosses Ottawa). I was, if I believe the first aid station, the first broken leg of the 2000-01 season.

My fracture was probably a lot worse than yours - compound and comminuted. It's a bad sign when the doctors do an 'oooohhhhhhh' when they look at the x-ray. I ended up with a failed attempt to reduce the fracture, surgery (x2), a boatload of fine opiates, 6 months non-weight bearing, and about six months of rehab starting 4 weeks or so before I was weightbearing. Physio was tough; I'd forgotten a lot of the mechanics of walking and balancing in the intervening 6 months, so I had to work on regaining the whole process of motion. It's not so simple as you might think, and that's the real lesson for physio, no matter how difficult or occasionally humiliating it is, but you have to work hard at it or receive no benefit at all.

Like many people, I got the "you won't ever walk without a limp" lecture, which proved to be correct - it's barely perceptible normally, but it becomes pretty obvious limp when I'm sore or tired. But it didn't stop me from running my first 5k less than 12 months after my first post-accident step, my first 10k a few months after that, playing rugby the following spring, then a half-marathon, and so on. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, believe it or not.
marco-polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #165
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Marco-Polo thank you for your story. I'm curious if you had all the metal removed from your ankle, and if you did what impact it had on your ankle function?
Because of decades of racquet sports my right knee will no longer tolerate significant running, but last week (about 6 months post ankle fx/repair) I had to run ~100 yards down my driveway to catch a delivery truck. I started very tentatively, but soon was in a full sprint. My ankle felt a little different, but was not painful. By the end of the day it was moderately swollen and tight, but did not hurt. The following morning it had returned to its pre-sprint size and its normal AM stiffness.
Immediately before breaking my clavicle I had progressed in PT to exercises to regain the fine motor control/balance in my ankle. I was amazed at despite being able to walk normally how deficient my fine motor control/balance was when standing only on my left ankle. I have stopped all ankle PT until my shoulder is once again functional, but will resume those exercises soon.
Based on your story I assume if they ever develop a simple repair for lost articluar cartilage I'd be able to resume playing racquet sports; however, based on my more recent history I'd probably just break something else. I wish I enjoyed swimming laps in a pool, but I don't.

PETDOC screwed with this post 05-19-2012 at 05:27 AM
PETDOC is offline   Reply With Quote